Page 1 of 9
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    where are all the Native Americans?

    i dont think i have seen a single native american in my life other the some people who say they are mixed with native american. where they vacuumed up when the English came over to their land. what happen to them. nothing bad happen to them "right"....
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

  2. #2
    High Overlord Grakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bermidji Minnesnowta
    Posts
    159
    They are mostly in the Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota regions. However, there are also Indians in Wyoming, Colorado and Alaska. There are also a lot of them in Canada.

  3. #3
    Here you go.

    Infracted. No lgmtfy links please.
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2013-04-22 at 06:53 PM.

    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.
    [Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1521-3726-7197]

  4. #4
    I think the vast majority is dead, they saw pretty much the same fate as the jews in Europe. The rest is either in reservations or assimilated in the American population though.

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    4,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Hahaha, how cruel :P but i quite agree that people should first look in google before asking something in the forum :S

    O.T: here is a link with a list of indians reservations

  6. #6
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,799
    Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    i dont think i have seen a single native american in my life other the some people who say they are mixed with native american. where they vacuumed up when the English came over to their land. what happen to them. nothing bad happen to them "right"....
    /wave

    I have two Native American tribes in me.

    Some tribes still exist in "purity," for whatever that's worth, but most of them/us have either been killed off in the 1800s/earlier or mixed in with the rest of society. Saying you don't see any unmixed Native Americans around seems strange to me, because that would be like suggesting there's something weird about how you can rarely find German families that have lived in the US for the last 300 years without ever having any bloodlines from other countries enter their family.

    In fact, the whole idea of a culture that lives in a place like the US for 300+ years without intermarrying just sounds really depressing to me.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-04-22 at 06:36 PM.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  7. #7
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,789
    >90% of them died. It was one of the (if not the) largest genocides in recorded human history.

    "Modern" Indian Reservations are rife with poverty and crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    >90% of them died. It was one of the (if not the) largest genocides in recorded human history.

    "Modern" Indian Reservations are rife with poverty and crime.
    I think if Indian people want to not be seen as poverty stricken or crime-ridden or drunkards, they can do so. I did a documentary on Seminole Indians (in Florida) and interviewed them. Did you know that they own every single Hard Rock Cafe? (Except the one in England) They told me the story of how they were forced into Florida to die, but instead of dying they lived, and found a way to prosper.

    I think some Indian Reservations have more poverty than others, though.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

  9. #9
    Over 9000! Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,624
    Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    i dont think i have seen a single native american in my life other the some people who say they are mixed with native american. where they vacuumed up when the English came over to their land. what happen to them. nothing bad happen to them "right"....
    One side of my family were integrated Native Americans, But for the last 3 generations the whole idea of "Pure blooded" was looked upon as racist bullshit, and they just married the people they loved instead of practicing the same tired old eugenics. In fact my very native great grand father put his life on the line to go fight against Adolf Hitler.

    I have a feeling there are millions of Canadians who can make the same claim. The majority of Native Americans probably dismissed the racist bullshit on both sides (Like my great grandfather) and just integrated and went about their lives the way THEY themselves wanted to. Their descendants are now all over the place but are just considered "Caucasian" because they no longer fit the Popular Eugenics definition of Native American. Although my father and one of my brothers have dark skin. The fact is if I choose to perpetuate there will probably be randomly dark skinned children throughout the generations. Any time I fill out some bogus racial equity survey although I could technically check off "Non status Indian" I was properly raised to consider race nothing more than skin colour and select regionally common physical features. So because I was born with fair skin tone, I just check off "Caucasian".

    The fact is from the very beginning there were people on the Native American side who favored the idea of combining into a new culture, and they were met with a lot of racism from both sides. Hence the inception of the Metis. Who faced racist opposition from both Native Americans and European Settlers.

    The ironic reality of the whole modern idea of "cultural preservation" is that it would require the prevention of "breeding in" or "out" of a culture, and this just encourages racism. In Canada at least the "Indian Reserve" system has served nothing more than as a system by which natives are bribed into voluntary ghettoization on lands that aren't fit for year round colonization. I'd personally think the "Integrate or Separate" solution practiced with some of the US Reserves is a much more equitable solution for both sides.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-04-22 at 06:40 PM.

  10. #10
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I think if Indian people want to not be seen as poverty stricken or crime-ridden or drunkards, they can do so. I did a documentary on Seminole Indians (in Florida) and interviewed them. Did you know that they own every single Hard Rock Cafe? (Except the one in England) They told me the story of how they were forced into Florida to die, but instead of dying they lived, and found a way to prosper.

    Anyway, my point is, a lot of indian reservations seem to have lots of poverty, but they choose to. They get a lot of money.
    It's a similar argument to that of slums in the inner cities; cycle of poverty and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It's a similar argument to that of slums in the inner cities; cycle of poverty and all that.
    It's like people using the welfare system, but instead of getting out of poverty, they use the assistance for wants instead of needs and do not get out of it. The whole point of Welfare is to provide assistance until you can manage, and then you get off of welfare.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

  12. #12
    In the east, integrated into the great waves of invasion/immigration from Europe. The genes have been dispersed into the gene pool.

    There are still some pure groups out west.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

  13. #13
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,799
    There are also large groups of relatively unintegrated Native Americans in South America.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  14. #14
    I saw one on Saturday. He cut me off on a dual turning lane by turning into my lane in the middle of the intersection, then had the audacity to give me shit when I hit the horn.

    It was a fun exchange.

  15. #15
    wasnt talking about pure natives, but people that look like they are native. my grandfather was part native (said my grandma)but he looks nothing like it. does that mean i have native in me, if so then wooot hell yea!!!
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

  16. #16
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,297
    Most are gone, they were massacred ever since settlers arrived all the way to close to WW1. Many of those that weren't massacred also died of diseases new to them. Did any of you play Bioshock: Infinite? A thing mentioned there is the Wounded Knee battle, check it out, it's a real thing. It was one of the last things like that fortunately.

    That said, most indians were lumped together and moved around and only in the last 25 or so years has there been some improvement on their treatment. But it's a bit late. Most of them are dead now.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I think if Indian people want to not be seen as poverty stricken or crime-ridden or drunkards, they can do so. I did a documentary on Seminole Indians (in Florida) and interviewed them. Did you know that they own every single Hard Rock Cafe? (Except the one in England) They told me the story of how they were forced into Florida to die, but instead of dying they lived, and found a way to prosper.

    I think some Indian Reservations have more poverty than others, though.
    We've got a few tribes here in Florida, Semonoles and Miccosukee are related I guess, but seperate tribes now. The seminoles I have met tend to be big friendly guys/ girls, they're not poor (as you say, they have the casino's/ hard rocks) and they live a modern life.


    I'm not sure if the Reservation system still makes a lot of sense in total, but can't see it being changed any time soon either.

  18. #18
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Most are gone, they were massacred ever since settlers arrived all the way to close to WW1. Many of those that weren't massacred also died of diseases new to them. Did any of you play Bioshock: Infinite? A thing mentioned there is the Wounded Knee battle, check it out, it's a real thing. It was one of the last things like that fortunately.

    That said, most indians were lumped together and moved around and only in the last 25 or so years has there been some improvement on their treatment. But it's a bit late. Most of them are dead now.
    Many of the remaining tribes are self-destructing now, due to the influence of casinos. They get a check from the casino paid to every member of the tribe, so the tribes are disenrolling other tribe members in order to reduce the number of people getting checks and increase the value of each check cut by the casino. The remaining tribes are getting smaller and smaller.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  19. #19
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There are also large groups of relatively unintegrated Native Americans in South America.
    Yeah, though most are actually half-natives, mestizo? Or are you talking about those tribes sitting really in the middle of the Amazon?

    You know, it's sad in a way, though the Aztecs and the Mayans were kind of extremely violent, the Inca were a bit more rational, I read a bit about them, their empire could have rivaled those of our days with similar technology, they already had layed some aspects of an orderly society, taxing, redistribution of wealth, infrastructure, aqueducts etc.

  20. #20
    They're on TV, offering 200% interest "pay day" loans.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •