Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixxy View Post
    Give me an example of what you think is a subtlety in Family Guy.
    Give me an example of subtlety in Futurama. (Not trying to evade your question, I just want to know what your definition of subtlety is, so I have some standard for my example)

Internet humor? I take it you've never actually watched these shows.

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 06:00 PM ----------

This isn't how this works. You stated that you laughed at the subtleties in Family Guy to refute my statement that the show just beats you over the head with what they want you to laugh at. Obviously you already had some idea of what you were laughing at when you told me that, so now explain what you're talking about.
    Huh? I just want to get definitions straight first, so we don't get into some conundrum of an argument. I honestly can't retrieve the episode or context, but I'm sure you know how emotional memory works.

Deleted
    Internet humor? I take it you've never actually watched these shows.
    They do parody important events/celebrities and controversial topics in a very dark way, at least from what I've seen.

Either my definition of internet humor is wrong or I haven't watched enough of them to make a judgement, but that's how I view things.

I can't believe people are trying to say Futurama has complex jokes, I love the show to death but I'm pretty sure a 6th grader could get all the jokes.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    I guess if that's how you want to define "internet humor" I'd agree, it just seems odd since both The Simpsons and South Park existed and were very popular before "internet humor" was really a thing, as the internet was not yet commonplace in your typical household.
    It is nice when people agree on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Futurama: Gold
    Simpsons: Gold
    American Dad: Gold
    Cleveland Show: Gold
    Family Guy: JUST FUCKING END IT ALREADY
    South Park: A resounding "meh"
    Archer: Gold
    Bob's Burgers: Take or leave it

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    When did this become the thread about comparing different cartoons? O.o

Sorry but the simpsons has been really cheesy for ages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Sorry but the simpsons has been really cheesy for ages.
    I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

Deleted
    I feel verry sorry because of that. I was born 1990 and grew up with the early simpsons and futurama ... So many memories... :/
    Probably better end it in season 7 than making 10+ bad seasons for the money...

You will always be my hero Philip J.!

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong
    spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider-pig does...AND THEN MARGE JUST LOOKS AT HIM LOL
    see wasn't that hilarious?

hahahaha...

oh wait, your serious.

NOOOOOOO.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    good that show was garbage anyways.............................../end sarcasm

its funny to see everyone come in here and say futurama is better than family guys, or the simpsons is better than south park, when in reality theyre all the same shit. theyre all cartoons that provide humor, sometimes crudely, at the expense of shit happening in real life.

i honestly dont think ive watched any of the "adult themed" cartoons that i didnt like. each of them generally have their own different take on things and really the only difference is peoples' opinions of it. outside of that theyre all copies of one another.

i personally like them all and id much rather not see ANY of them cancelled. every show has their gems and their clods of dirt. you take the good with the bad. i personally was upset they cancelled king of the hill, but im not going to sit here and say "ermehgawd why is south park still on when we have comedy gold in king of the hill?"

Oh come on, are you satisfied so easily?

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    How can they cancel such a wonderfully well written creative show, but then a show like Family Guy is still around? All that show is, is crude toilet bowl humor and "shock value". What exactly is so funny about "crossing the line" with everything? For example, please tell me what is so funny about showing an airplane crashing into a school and having little kids screaming and running out on fire?
    Because, honestly, Futurama is no longer the wonderfully well written creative show that it used to be.

Look, I loved the first few seasons of Futurama as much as the next person. But it seems to me that when the show was canned and the movies came out, they somehow lost the original writers or whomever the man was who understood where the comedy was meant to be placed in the show. Ever since the movies, Futurama has been a VERY pale shadow of its former self...

...I'd rather have it go out now and be fondly remembered rather than dragged more through the mud as it has been doing in for the past couple years...

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 11:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aman08 View Post
    The first 4 seasons are timeless. Way ahead of their time and still, to this day, the funniest animated show I've ever seen...

But...

The new seasons are atrocious. The humor is too low-brow and the episodes feel rushed, cluttered, and not thought out very well. I can't put my finger on why, but I absolutely cannot stand the new seasons.
    You're not the only one... that's EXACTLY how I feel to.

Something happened between S4 and the movies. They just totally lost some specific part of their writing talent.

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I can't believe people are trying to say Futurama has complex jokes, I love the show to death but I'm pretty sure a 6th grader could get all the jokes.
    Futurama did have complex jokes... up til about Season 4.

Fans of old Futurama though just want to believe the show has never changed, and are - well - in very much denial of how the show really is today. :P

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 11:06 PM ----------

Give me an example of what you think is a subtlety in Family Guy.
    Brian teaching a school class, and does the classic "pretends to walk down a "flight of stairs" behind his desk to disappear", only to pop up saying "what did I miss"...

...A few minutes later, a replacement teacher enters the classroom, Chris immediately yells "LOOK OUT FOR THE STAIRS!" and you see the replacement teacher actually fall down behind the desk with the sounds of her falling down a real flight of stairs.

THAT is classic Family Guy right there. It was like how Futurama used to be... low-brow humor told in HIGH-brow fashion.

Sadly, they've both gone a bit crude these days...
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-05-04 at 11:07 PM.

This is the only rating I don't get . I've yet to meet someone who likes the Cleveland Show.

Why didn't that show get cancelled instead??? Or even better, Family Guy??? WHY GOD?!

This is sad news indeed!

Futurama is one of my favorite animated shows, and back in the days it was my #1 favorite animated show. My memory of when I watched the first episode of the show as it first aired on Swedish TV is still very clear in my mind. That being said, Family Guy got cancelled twice and is now stronger (and better) than it ever was. And Mr Groening has said that he will try to get the show picked up by another network. So don't you be so sure that we've seen the end of Futurama just yet!

That being said, what's with the Family Guy hatred in this thread? Peple seriously don't like Family Guy? I mean, seriously. This is how I rate those shows:

1. Family Guy (awesome show, clearly #1 among the animated shows, so hillarious and funny - seriously, the first seasons kind of sucks but the way it has developed.. it hasn't been better than it is now).
    2. American Dad! (clearly the best of the Family Guy knock-offs).
    3. Futurama (not as good as it once was, but still funny).
    4. The Simpsons (I very rarely laugh watching this show anymore, the humour is kind of bland compared to the more spicy Seth MacFarlane stuff, not really sure why I still watch it to be honest - a habit I suppose).
    5. The Cleveland Show (seriously, why does this exist? think it's time for Cleveland to move back to Quahog - though he could bring Tim the Bear with him, kind of a great character really, though in a bad show - but I stil l watch it for some reason).

Really. I don't get people who don't like Family Guy. I just can't get enough of the Brian & Stewie stuff. And the Brian & Peter stuff is great too.

---------- Post added 2013-05-05 at 12:50 AM ----------

That rating is just insane. The best shows you give the lowest rating? (I don't watch South Park anymore but from what I hear it is really good these days, but I can't stand the animation enough to watch it despite reliable sources telling me the humour is awesome). Seriously, The Simpsons.. The Cleveland Show.. Gold!? And Family Guy not!? What kind of boring person must you be if you think those shows are gold? They are so bland. Really. They're just not funny. Family Guy is spicy, clever, hillarious, and politically incorrect with great character chemistry. Can't beat that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Cleveland Show and American Dad are both terrible, the former was garbage from the first episode and the latter got shitty after the second season. Family Guy hasn't been good in a few seasons either, though the Star Wars parodies were pretty decent. Futurama was good originally and is still solid now, though not as good as the first few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    That rating is just insane. The best shows you give the lowest rating? (I don't watch South Park anymore but from what I hear it is really good these days, but I can't stand the animation enough to watch it despite reliable sources telling me the humour is awesome). Seriously, The Simpsons.. The Cleveland Show.. Gold!? And Family Guy not!? What kind of boring person must you be if you think those shows are gold? They are so bland. Really. They're just not funny. Family Guy is spicy, clever, hillarious, and politically incorrect with great character chemistry. Can't beat that.
    To him the shows that he rated gold are his ''best shows'', ofcourse the list can never be the same for everyone. Family Guy's humor isn't that clever, they copied a lot of their early jokes from The Simpsons, and only extended it somehow. There's a reason Family Guy is looked at a clone of The Simpsons. Outside of copying The Simpsons jokes, the rest of their jokes is ''put a random celeberty in this setting, and make him do or say something apparently supposed to be funny''.

My list would probably be:

Simpsons: Gold, trough if they do more bad episodes it'll be silver
    American Dad: Silver
    Cleveland Show: Brown
    Family Guy: JUST FUCKING END IT ALREADY (same as Phookah)
    South Park: Barely keeping Gold
    Bob's Burgers: Dunno, never watched this show

I don't know why you guys keep dismissing Bob's Burgers. That show is hilarious.
    I'm still thinking about it...