10+ Year Old Account

Understanding the difference between two pulls on Primordius

Last week my team went in and 3-shot Primordius for our first kill. We had LFR knowledge of the fight, but outside of that we just pulled those few times and got the quick kill. Last night, we got back to Primordius and felt like we had our ass handed to us for the 6 attempts we had time for. I'm no WoL guru, so I'm posting this to see if anyone can shed some light into what was different between that first, seemingly trivial, kill and last night's failed attempts.

We'll be at it again tonight, so any thoughts are much appreciated.

First kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u...?s=6300&e=6712
    Last night: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/cj8beyyjvlw237qs/

---------- Post added 2013-04-22 at 04:59 PM ----------

The biggest thing I'm noticing is that on our kill we took a lot less damage from Ventral Sacs (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=136211), which I'm guessing is caused by AoE damage around the boss which is killing the sacs too close to melee/tanks. Also, on our kill, it doesn't appear we ever got Volatile Pathogen (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=136231).

to understand what killing you go to each attempt and sort it by damage taken
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/c...?s=7888&e=8217
    attempt number 1
    rogue died from minimal raid damage when he was going to pick up adds
    the death knight tink died from Volatile Pathogen

i looked over lots of the death log and u dying to mechanics
    he can have up to 3 of any of the buffs below

Mutation: Ventral Sacs – Sacs located around Primordius's frill periodically erupt, inflicting 22000 Nature damage to all players every 1 sec.

make sure u have hots rolling on everyone during that phase

Mutation: Gas Bladder – A volatile mutation that allows Primordius to spray Caustic Gas, inflicting 1600000 Nature damage split evenly between all players within a 25-yard radius.

dont move in to soak it, usually 5-6 ppl are enough, u have 6 melee which is enough untill later on when u might need cd for it.

Mutation: Acidic Spines – Primordius fires Acidic Spines at players every 3 sec, inflicting 110000 Nature damage to all players within 5 yards of the targets.

this is the primary thing that kill you, as i said before u have 6 melee it means they will all take damage from it if they arent spread, make sure they are 6 yards apart at least or it will wipe you out pretty quick

Mutation: Pathogen Glands – Allows Primordius to spray a Volatile Pathogen at a player, inflicting 60000 Nature damage every 1 sec. for 10 sec.

assign a healer that will deal with pathogen and tell the person to use cd if they get it,this killed couple of ppl during your attempts

Mutation: Metabolic Boost – A hyperactive metabolism allows Primordius to use abilities more often and increases attack speed by 50%.

nothing diffrent then normal he will hit harder and cast abilities more often, it might be good idea to use some cds for it if he do the raid wide aoe

Mutation: Erupting Pustules – Pustules erupt every 10 sec, showering the area with corrosive blood that inflicts 185000 to 215000 Nature damage within 2.5 yards of the impact.

not sure about that 1, cant remember if u can or cant move out of it just heal through the damage and once again spread out

bottom line to much melee chaining damage to each other tell them to spread and if u can swap 1 melee for the shaman u had last week and have him chain lightning adds so u can have bigger uptime on the buffs
    Last edited by Archimand; 2013-04-22 at 09:12 PM.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a lot, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    bottom line to much melee chaining damage to each other tell them to spread and if u can swap 1 melee for the shaman u had last week and have him chain lightning adds so u can have bigger uptime on the buffs
    On our last attempt, or two, last night we had our Priest focusing on the adds so we could pick up the buff quicker as it wore off. I'm not sure why, but it felt like after it wore off of me there weren't many puddles around to pick up. Perhaps others had just gotten to them already, not really sure. Is this a viable thing to do?
    Last edited by Jaling; 2013-04-22 at 09:12 PM.

im doing it on our attempts as destruction warlock
    around 200k dps just by rain of fire and immolate on the adds
    first thing it does is allowing healers to pick up some buffs
    while its not useful for healers to do damage on the boss u will still get a nice amount of secondery stats
    2nd thing it does is allowing ppl that had thier debuff dropped off to pick it once again since u will have lots of puddles lying around

a question do you kite the boss around the room ?

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes sense. Yes, we do, although we're trying to determine the appropriate pace to use. We've tried constantly, near constant at least, and taking more time. We generally kite him pretty far out, giving melee an easier run once mutated.

kite him as slow as u can get without purple puddles reaching him
    also chain lightning on adds serve 3rd purpose that i forgot
    he will eat less adds means he will evolve much less and do less damage

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that, does it make sense for the melee to focus AoE damage abilities while mutated and on the boss with the idea being we'll also kill the adds before he can eat them?

not needed if the shaman focus only on adds not much will reach the boss
    and melee cant dps the adds without actually moving out of melee range
    basicly if melee can reach the adds to aoe the boss will hit said adds :P

just give it a try refine it and u should have a much smoother kill then your first one

incase of problems u can always reply in this thread again :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Really appreciate it, I'll report back with some logs from tonight.

Thanks to everyone for the great info in this thread. I do have one small additional question.

Does anyone know if pools despawn after a certain amount of time after a blood is killed? We were having trouble getting everyone buffed at a decent pace and some of our dps reported pools disappearing as they ran for them.

i do not know actually we never had any problems with pools

10+ Year Old Account
    Last night we got Primordius down and what changed the fight for us was going to 3 healers. We were still just taking so much damage from Ventral Sacs. We had a Warlock in for one of our DKs, and with me moving out of melee range to heal, we were able to mix up the comp a little bit. Having the extra healing sealed the deal for us. We made great progress on Dark Animus as well, he should hit the floor this lockout.

Thanks for all of your tips Archimand, much appreciated.

Log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/y...?s=2638&e=3033

glad to have been of help

Dunno how doable it is in 10m, but last night in our 25m clear we just tanked Primordius in the middle of the room and zerged him down, ignoring ALL adds. It was much cleaner than our previous kills, and it was actually our fastest kill to date.