Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Battle healer glyph nerf. Glyph still worth it?

I almost always use glyph of battle healer. My raids tend to be a bit melee heavy so when a fight has me near melee a ton, I use battle healer. There are few fights like ji-kun where I may opt out of it, but feel less likely to due to it helping the other tank. With this 10% nerf, would a glyph for a damage boost be better now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I almost always use glyph of battle healer. My raids tend to be a bit melee heavy so when a fight has me near melee a ton, I use battle healer. There are few fights like ji-kun where I may opt out of it, but feel less likely to due to it helping the other tank. With this 10% nerf, would a glyph for a damage boost be better now?
    Battle healer is only ~20% of our healing done, the nerf isn't going to cut down on the healing that much. I still think its a good glyph, our other choices aren't that good and only a small dps increase.

Deleted
    Yeah, I think it's still going to be pretty good, even with the nerf.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Still not seeing another glyph I'd replace it with. Also not seeing a need for this nerf -- Battle Healer generates a lot of overhealing on live, and Brewmasters have the "tank passively heals the party/raid" niche covered with higher throughput from ox statue without any need to devote a glyph slot. That's not being nerfed.

And better mobility. And higher damage at low vengeance.

5.3 is turning into the arbitrary paladin nerf patch (Ghostcrawler suddenly isn't happy with Daybreak remaining remotely useful for Holy, either).

Deleted
    Hey they buffed Ret, of course the other 2 specs are being nerfed for the hell of it :P Otherwise we might get the impression they give a fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill definitely still use it for tanking. I like running around in BGs with it as ret too, specially if my team is lacking heals. Most rets probably dont care at all, but im kinda disappointed.

I think you need to look at it a different way. Protection Paladins are capable of alot of damage especially with the way most of them are gearing. As they acquire more gear with more haste for example they will be attacking faster, and dealing more damage. This glyph is being 'nerfed' as I'm assuming foresight for the increase in damage paladins will be doing. Figure BH will still be doing as much healing as it does now, at the end of the tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Also not seeing a need for this nerf -- Battle Healer generates a lot of overhealing on live, and Brewmasters have the "tank passively heals the party/raid" niche covered with higher throughput from ox statue without any need to devote a glyph slot. That's not being nerfed.
    It was nerfed. We need to do twice the damage pre-nerf to proc the shields. And that threshold increases as our vengeance increases. So no, it's not OP - although I agree with you that shields are better than overhealing.

Battle Healer nerf was put in place because as we get higher and higher haste, the healing will start to become too much.

ye prot paladins basically just uses ret gear and goes for max deeps, so your damage will just fly up as gear comes, instead of dodge/parry etc, so the glyph needs to be adjusted for this gear increase.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    ye prot paladins basically just uses ret gear and goes for max deeps, so your damage will just fly up as gear comes, instead of dodge/parry etc, so the glyph needs to be adjusted for this gear increase.
    Well blizzard destroyed tanking gear with the active mitigation and scaling, only way you can see avoidance coming back into play is if you have something like 400 rating giving a % not 1000. Or they can just remove parry/dodge items, no1 uses them anymore.
    Basicly active mitigation was a great idea, realized by 10IQ developers .

As long as SoI is still the go to seal, I don't think prot will ever stop using Battle Healer. So few glyphs that are actually good (Focused shield, Alabaster Shield, Divine protection, battle healer) that it just seems pretty unlikely that it'll ever be swapped out.

I dont see much of the problem, it only affects healing to other players- with the valor point upgrades coming back next patch aswell I would say we will probably do around the same amount as we currently do, it just wont go any higher this patch.

Lets face it, if it went much higher that live there would be a real problem (coming from a pala tank)

Battle Insight's ACTUAL healing is quite low-to-moderate, compared to its OVERhealing. This will be remedied a bit in 5.3 with the changes to smart heals preferring players instead of pets/minions (man I love seeing BH topping off those voodoo gnomes!), but the fact remains that most of the healing from BH is excess anyway. Additionally, with the insane scaling we're getting on melee abilities and damage, this is a drop in the bucket. Hell, Holy Prism already heals about as much as Battle Insight if used properly/at the right times.

Our BIG healing on the meters comes from SOI and Sacred Shield. If this "nerf" gets the QQ-community off of the collective protpal nuts, I'll be pleased, as our actual healing remains intact.

This is about as much QQ as the disc priests had when they nerfed Atonement from 100% to 80% (now back to 90%). Sky is not falling, but let the "QQ prot heals too much!"-folks think it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    I think we can safely reroll now Nairobi

Reroll to what?

I was Ret from BC through Cata, just went Prot in MoP cause it was better DPS.

/trololol
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    (man I love seeing BH topping off those voodoo gnomes!)
    lal! and couldnt agree more :P. personaly im pretty much just using the glyph due to the fact that there aint really any better options out there.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cetraben View Post
    Weapons go higher in ilvl. Glyph gets nerfed. Will still put out the same HPS as I see it.
    That would require doing 50% more damage by the end of this tier. Not going to happen.

Thankfully, as Nairobi pointed out, the majority of healing lost from this nerf will come from overhealing, and effective healing will likely drop very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Battle Insight's ACTUAL healing is quite low-to-moderate, compared to its OVERhealing. This will be remedied a bit in 5.3 with the changes to smart heals preferring players instead of pets/minions (man I love seeing BH topping off those voodoo gnomes!), but the fact remains that most of the healing from BH is excess anyway. Additionally, with the insane scaling we're getting on melee abilities and damage, this is a drop in the bucket. Hell, Holy Prism already heals about as much as Battle Insight if used properly/at the right times.

Our BIG healing on the meters comes from SOI and Sacred Shield. If this "nerf" gets the QQ-community off of the collective protpal nuts, I'll be pleased, as our actual healing remains intact.

This is about as much QQ as the disc priests had when they nerfed Atonement from 100% to 80% (now back to 90%). Sky is not falling, but let the "QQ prot heals too much!"-folks think it is!
    I find my holy prism heals for about 2.5x the amount of battlehealer tbh. Theres an awful lot of bosses where the burst of holy prism can produce fantastic numbers. I do agree though, battlehealer is the glyph that people fixate on even though its 20% of a prots healing generally.

even nerfed the glyph is still worth it. the only other glyph id remotely consider would be holy wrath 50% dmg increase.. but thats only for a short period of time.. and very situational...

the healing helps way more than a lil bit more dmg.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    5.3 is turning into the arbitrary paladin nerf patch (Ghostcrawler suddenly isn't happy with Daybreak remaining remotely useful for Holy, either).
    Are you even suprised ?
    Prot paladins are BROKEN and even with this nerf BROKEN.

Mooooar nerfs, bring them inline with the other tanks, having a class almost being mandatory for heroic progression, is, you guessed it. fucking broken.