Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I thought it was 2/3 for a veto override.
    It is a 2/3 vote in each chamber.

The 60 senate votes is to call an end to debate and vote on a bill.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not really an issue; Obama has already said he will veto it if it passes the Senate.
    Obama is first a politician. If not vetoing the law gives him an advantage somehow (if he gets 100 lobby groups to support him, he won't) he won't. Really, you're trusting the word of a politician?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Obama is first a politician. If not vetoing the law gives him an advantage somehow (if he gets 100 lobby groups to support him, he won't) he won't. Really, you're trusting the word of a politician?
    Since he can't be re-elected, the only reason to play politics now is to push an agenda. This seems to be part of his agenda, so unless there's something he finds more important that they'll budge on if he gives them this, I don't think he'll budge. I very much doubt the Republicans would give him a worthwhile bargaining chip in order to get this through.
    Because you look so fine

Quote Originally Posted by Haftepaff View Post
    Hahah, do you really believe in Obama?
    He's got a relatively good track record of delivering on things where he is able.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

I believe that Obama would go through with the veto. But it doesn't matter Ron Wyden won't let it get through the Senate.

It as if my email to my Representative means nothing! Firefox made that email look so promising too.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Since he can't be re-elected, the only reason to play politics now is to push an agenda. This seems to be part of his agenda, so unless there's something he finds more important that they'll budge on if he gives them this, I don't think he'll budge. I very much doubt the Republicans would give him a worthwhile bargaining chip in order to get this through.
    Re-elections do not matter. If you haven't kept up with how politics work, former politicians by some strange luck tend to end up with high paying positions of big companies. Sucking up to lobbyists doesn't end with the political career as you still have to secure your livelihood after.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Re-elections do not matter. If you haven't kept up with how politics work, former politicians by some strange luck tend to end up with high paying positions of big companies. Sucking up to lobbyists doesn't end with the political career as you still have to secure your livelihood after.
    Former presidents do not.
    Because you look so fine

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    A big thing that people who think along the lines of "who cares if goverment can get all the info easily from the companies, I have nothing to hide!" don't seem to understand that CISPA would also give legal right for private companies to trade info between each others aswell.
    There's a ton of personal information they could use against you in your internet history. I'm picturing something similar to how potential jobs tend to do background checks on your facebook, but on a much grander scale.