Interview: your reactions

So one of my friends has been out of work for a few months. He's covered by EI(employment insurance), but is becoming increasingly anxious regarding getting back to work. Here's what's happened at his last interview. This was a lunch interview, which meant he was able to spend more time together with the hiring manager, and not just a cut-and-dry standard one at the office, which was probably a good thing.

Hiring Manager: "so MMO, what are your salary expectations."

MMO: "salary is not a priority for me right now"

Hiring Manager: "OK. May I ask what it is?"

MMO: "At my last job I made 90k. But salary is not a priority to me right now".

Hiring Manager: "I see. This position pays 50-60k..."

MMO: "As I said, salary is not a priority. Let's figure out what you want and what I want and see if we're a good fit to each other. My growth and opportunities are a priority, as well as benefits."

--

So imagine for a moment that you are the hiring Manager(or are one for a living).

One thing I was told was, to be suspicious if the candidate in question is accepting a pay cut which seems far too deep. My concern is with how he presented himself, as it almost seemed like he was focusing too much on his own benefit rather than the prospective company's success.

So - your thoughts? Thanks guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you be suspicious.

He lost his job and hes living on welfare and he really doesn't give a shit about how badly his income dropped. He just wants to get his life semi back together.

Deleted
    Does not sound suspicious, the manager should be happy that someone so experienced and qualified is willing to take a lower position.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Does not sound suspicious, the manager should be happy that someone so experienced and qualified is willing to take a lower position.
    Ehhh, you'd think so. I had this problem when I was coming back to the work force after the recession and my 2nd degree. Overqualified for almost every position and they all saw my previous employers and the salary I was earning and usually eliminated me based on that. Because they know you'll either want more in a shorter period of time, or you'll be looking for a new job that pays more in the short term. You get the instant "not gonna be here long" checkbox.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It doesn't sound suspicious to me, but hiring managers seem like they're looking for reasons to toss someone out of a pile of qualified applicants, so who knows.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    One thing to consider from the hiring standpoint: if this guy was making much more money in his old job when the economy was doing better, chances are when the economy turns around, he'll jump ship and we'll have to hire and train someone all over again. Recruitment and training can be a major expense so don't be surprised if an employer prefers someone who they think will stick around longer.

Of all the interviews I had, salary wasn't usually touched on in detail until an offer was made.

In fact, it's generally regarded as taboo to dwell on it extensively in a first interview.

I need a little more background
    Is that job he applied for in his line of work, or his he just looking for work any type of work?

the reason i ask companies especially jobs in their company that pay 60k a year are looking for someone who will stay with the company they want to make sure they will get a return on their investment they don't want to hire some one who is just looking for a job no matter what it is or what it pays because that tells them you probably might not be there for long

There's the possibility that he'll move on to another company in short order, as well as the possibility that he's desperate to get away from his other job for reasons he won't disclose.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just spent 11 months unemployed. I probably would have taken anything, even if they tried to screw me over and pay me less than minimum wage. There's nothing wrong with taking a pay cut. Technically, he's not taking a pay cut, because he's not earning anything right now, and I'm going to assume the 50-60k is more than what he's getting right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    not really because that is telling the company that they are your second choice that you are desperate and will leave for another job that meets your qualification first chance you have

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Of all the interviews I had, salary wasn't usually touched on in detail until an offer was made.

In fact, it's generally regarded as taboo to dwell on it extensively in a first interview.
    Point of contrast - I was told the salary for a recent position that I wound up not getting an offer for, and told the salary for another position that I opted out of the interview process for. I'm not sure what the deal is, but some companies are very upfront and some aren't.

My new job saw what I was earning at the old position and wanted to make clear right away that a slightly lower salary would be okay with me (for reference, I'm going from being at the top of the promotional ladder at my old job, back to the "entry floor" of an entirely different department, so making less for awhile isn't a big deal since in the long run I'll get more experience and earn more), so I wouldn't be too suspicious about them double-checking on it. It would be a bummer to hire someone who has great qualifications and is a perfect fit, just to have them be moody and unhappy the whole time because they are making less money than they potentially could be.

This is why the term "over-qualified" exists. You don't want people who know they could do better elsewhere constantly bringing down morale in the workplace. I also feel like people who are constantly getting shafted by the whole "over-qualified" issue need to reassess the kind of jobs they're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Point of contrast - I was told the salary for a recent position that I wound up not getting an offer for, and told the salary for another position that I opted out of the interview process for. I'm not sure what the deal is, but some companies are very upfront and some aren't.
    Yes, but one usually doesn't dwell on it in the first interview. I've been asked ranges I've had, but never given a number the first time through.

HR and that stuff is really nuanced psychology. For some reason they can't fathom hiring someone who made X amount, then was unemployed for two years, then wil take a job for X/2. They must see down the line you asking for some steep raise or something? Seems very odd to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    He should have said money is secondary to the idea of enjoying going to work. I would rather earn 50k/yr at a company I loved than 90k/yr with an employer I despised.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I need a little more background
    Is that job he applied for in his line of work, or his he just looking for work any type of work?

the reason i ask companies especially jobs in their company that pay 60k a year are looking for someone who will stay with the company they want to make sure they will get a return on their investment they don't want to hire some one who is just looking for a job no matter what it is or what it pays because that tells them you probably might not be there for long
    the job he applied for was in his line of work...once upon a time(13 years ago).

since then, he's transitioned into a Business Analyst/Project Manager role. His IT past was pretty much buried and in the past for good...until he was let go. Now he's having a hard time finding Project Manager jobs in the area, and saw this job opening where they wanted someone to perform mid-level IT work. So he applied, got the interview, and this was the result.

he said that he could perform the job "in his sleep" and even though the pay may not be what he was looking for, as long as there's advancement and quick opportunities to move up, he could make up for lost time.

But anyways it doesn't look too promising that he'll get a call back. Apparently the Hiring Managed touched on the subject of his salary expectations several times during the lunch. Probably a bad sign.