Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I thought it was 2/3 for a veto override.
    It is a 2/3 vote in each chamber.

The 60 senate votes is to call an end to debate and vote on a bill.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not really an issue; Obama has already said he will veto it if it passes the Senate.
    Obama is first a politician. If not vetoing the law gives him an advantage somehow (if he gets 100 lobby groups to support him, he won't) he won't. Really, you're trusting the word of a politician?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Obama is first a politician. If not vetoing the law gives him an advantage somehow (if he gets 100 lobby groups to support him, he won't) he won't. Really, you're trusting the word of a politician?
    Since he can't be re-elected, the only reason to play politics now is to push an agenda. This seems to be part of his agenda, so unless there's something he finds more important that they'll budge on if he gives them this, I don't think he'll budge. I very much doubt the Republicans would give him a worthwhile bargaining chip in order to get this through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haftepaff View Post
    Hahah, do you really believe in Obama?
    He's got a relatively good track record of delivering on things where he is able.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I believe that Obama would go through with the veto. But it doesn't matter Ron Wyden won't let it get through the Senate.

It as if my email to my Representative means nothing! Firefox made that email look so promising too.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Since he can't be re-elected, the only reason to play politics now is to push an agenda. This seems to be part of his agenda, so unless there's something he finds more important that they'll budge on if he gives them this, I don't think he'll budge. I very much doubt the Republicans would give him a worthwhile bargaining chip in order to get this through.
    Re-elections do not matter. If you haven't kept up with how politics work, former politicians by some strange luck tend to end up with high paying positions of big companies. Sucking up to lobbyists doesn't end with the political career as you still have to secure your livelihood after.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Re-elections do not matter. If you haven't kept up with how politics work, former politicians by some strange luck tend to end up with high paying positions of big companies. Sucking up to lobbyists doesn't end with the political career as you still have to secure your livelihood after.
    Former presidents do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    A big thing that people who think along the lines of "who cares if goverment can get all the info easily from the companies, I have nothing to hide!" don't seem to understand that CISPA would also give legal right for private companies to trade info between each others aswell.
    There's a ton of personal information they could use against you in your internet history. I'm picturing something similar to how potential jobs tend to do background checks on your facebook, but on a much grander scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.