[TV] Hemlock Grove

Anyone given this a shot? It's one of the Netflix originals and since I was rather impressed with House of Cards and I'm a big fan of Eli Roth (I like to pretend he didn't do that garbage known as Hostel) I checked it out. Almost done and although the reviews were rather leaning towards a pass I'd suggest checking it out. Some of the acting is top notch, though this is offset by some of the more terrible actors; luckily a few of them get less air time as the series goes on.

Famke Janssen!!! Must. Watch. Now.

I love Eli Roth and rather liked Hostel, I've been awaiting feedback from two friends who just started to watch it and got the thumbs up. I'll probably resub to Netflix and get in on it within the month.

First couple of episodes were too boring for me to continue.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

High Overlord
    Technically, I think it's pretty good with good photography, editing and so on. Effects (like that transformation scene) are gruesome and well made. Acting is uh.. well, they tried. Maybe there's just too many supernatural series going on now.

I've only seen like 3-4 episodes but I'm half expecting Laura Palmer and Agent Cooper to make a cameo appearance soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Supahfraai View Post
    I've only seen like 3-4 episodes but I'm half expecting Laura Palmer and Agent Cooper to make a cameo appearance soon.
    Ya, got too Twin Peakish for me a few episodes in. They had some weird shit they just let go and did not bother to explain. I saw the first few episodes and called it off. I just do not like any characters and it is trying too hard to be weird for the sake of weird.

Definitely not House of Cards caliber.

It wasn't as good as House of Cards, but I really enjoyed the show; but I'm a fan of having unanswered questions that nearly last the entire season.

the show is awesome,i dont get why people dont like it,its so interesting and you just love the characters...

Assumed it would be a trashy take on the supernatural, exploiting sex to garner attention and being weird for the sake of weird... Just like almost every other show that can get away with the same thing. I'm looking at you True Blood and Game of Thrones.

Assumptions met to a tee. Could have been a good premise otherwise. Oh well, at least Arrested Development is coming back.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Assumed it would be a trashy take on the supernatural, exploiting sex to garner attention and being weird for the sake of weird... Just like almost every other show that can get away with the same thing. I'm looking at you True Blood and Game of Thrones.

Assumptions met to a tee. Could have been a good premise otherwise. Oh well, at least Arrested Development is coming back.
    Not sure how Game of Thrones fits in with what you described...

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Not sure how Game of Thrones fits in with what you described...
    Oh idk...adding ridiculous sex scenes that aren't in the books on top of very weird changes for the sake of more controversial/sensational TV. You must have never read the books if you don't see how that happens in every single episode.
    BAD WOLF

Oh idk...adding ridiculous sex scenes that aren't in the books on top of very weird changes for the sake of more controversial/sensational TV. You must have never read the books if you don't see how that happens in every single episode.
    I've read the books and there are tons of sex scenes in them. They might not be described in as much detail as we see on TV but they're there.

I haven't gotten a chance to sit down and actually watch the show yet, but my mom showed me the werewolf transformation scene and it's one of the most creative takes on a transformation I've ever seen! Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I've read the books and there are tons of sex scenes in them. They might not be described in as much detail as we see on TV but they're there.
    No, there aren't 'tons'. There aren't enough to fill every episode with one. Also, they are actually a part of the narrative and not just thrown into someone's random monologue.

You can even read reviews of the latest episode where they are thankful to finally have a sex scene that really happened. It's not the presence of them, it's the obvious pandering to try and garner a larger audience.
    BAD WOLF

The book give a detailed description of how Tyrion ejaculates inside of a whore, so uh...yeah the show isn't too far-fetched.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

Scarab Lord Huntingbear_grimbatol's Avatar
    I just finished watching it, all 13 episodes in more or less 2days (2 nights). I'm blown away by the acting, the story itself is a bit cheesy but the acting and twists (not having read the book) gave me chills down the spine on several times and the very final scene I must admit that I teared up. For what the series is about, horror/scifi/drama and such I can't find many flaws, in some cases I'd wish for the pace of the action to be higher but the suspense of not knowing who (and what) some of the "fantasy" elements in the series makes it a home-run for me. I hope the series continue, haven't been this excited about a series of 1 season since Fringe, Firefly and Invasion.

Give it a shot, don't expect a fast pace dramatic "boomboom powpow" thriller. This one is for the curious people who think as fast as the show goes. If you like to think ahead of the show and get surprised this is something for you, I was taken in on the story instead of being in the "passenger seat" which is a great thing for me.
    9thorder.com | 14/14 Heroic 25-man | West 114 | Recruiting for Warlords of Draenor!

Follow our raids on Twitch!Bear - Retribution PoV

Ive read Game a Thrones and if anything the books are more graphic then the show. Cant say that about Hemlock Grove though I have only seen the show. On topic though I thought the series started out horribly slow, I almost stopped watching after the second episode but after that things picked up and I really enjoyed the series and cant wait till the next season, hoping Netflix makes it.