Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

One way ticket to Mars.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/22/wo...ket/?hpt=hp_t3

Honestly, i find it sick and disgusting. What is so important to go to Mars asap?
    Wait until you can send a spaceship there in day and not months. Who ever goes there will likely die during the flight, the landing or shortly after because some system probably fails.
    I think this is a suicide mission and nothing else.

Deleted
    Everyone has to die, better to die for something than nothing.

If people want to do it, let them do it. I wouldn't throw my life away for that, but apparently there are thousands/millions who would.

Stephen Hawking has theorized that if we don't get off Earth in the next thousand years, we're fucked. He could be wrong, but we're still going to get off this planet someday. Might as well start the first steps I guess.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I would go, but not in this fashion. I would like some proper facilities first.

10+ Year Old Account
    At some point, you have to actually test real-world conditions for space travel. You can't just say "well I think this is fast enough, have at it boys!" and off they go.

Also, while we have had manned space travel for a little while now, the simple limited nature of it is a MAJOR delaying factor; we just do not give the money to the people that can utilize it to push space travel where it needs to go. Add into this the need to go through some pretty intense mental and physical training for the astronauts themselves, plus the additional mental preparation needed for a very, very long-term travel plan...

I guess I am just trying to say that its not as easy as waiting a year for a new model of car and that ultimately it is going to come down to people willing to give their lives to further our exploration into the solar system.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kakihara View Post
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/22/wo...ket/?hpt=hp_t3

Honestly, i find it sick and disgusting. What is so important to go to Mars asap?
    Wait until you can send a spaceship there in day and not months. Who ever goes there will likely die during the flight, the landing or shortly after because some system probably fails.
    I think this is a suicide mission and nothing else.
    It would most likely be good if you clarified what in that you find "sick and disgusting".

If it's the fact that they're going to make a reality show about it, then sure, if it's like Big Brother or some shit like that, it will be sick and disgusting. However, I for one don't see anything "sick and disgusting" about wanting to go to Mars, even if it's a one way ticket. We're all going to die. Might as well be the first human being ever to die on Mars. Talk about being remembered forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic.

If I'm still here when they start building the colony and want some more people I'll be off!
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Well, keep in mind that droves of people spent months at sea in small ships for a chance to start over in a new world. While this is obviously a little different, it's not that strange that people would be interested.

Everything abou the mission will be broadcasted live via tv. It is like big brother. I just think they try to do that before we actually have the tech and knowledge to do it right. I doubt they will be able to set up a steady base that will last years until new supplies arrive. what i find sick about it is that i think the risk is so extremly high that it will likely be a 100% suicide mission.
    Also they will send inexpierienced people which just adds to that.
    I dont think there is something special on Mars that we need to rush for. Better to make it safe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kakihara View Post
    Everything abou the mission will be broadcasted live via tv.
    Well, live, but with a delay. I don't mean just the delay from Mars to Earth, but also they'll add a delay of their own so they can push the "oh shit" -button if something goes horribly wrong and the feed can't be broadcast. Instead, we'll see "experiencing technical difficulties" or some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Stephen Hawking has theorized that if we don't get off Earth in the next thousand years, we're fucked. He could be wrong, but we're still going to get off this planet someday. Might as well start the first steps I guess.
    I very much doubt we'll last that long.
    With the way we treat each other and the planet, combined with the fact that earths population has doubled within the last 45 years (from 3.5 billion to 7 billion people), I can't see how we can last more than maybe 200 years more on this planet alone.
    But maybe the near future will bring some fantastic invention/discovery that will solve all our problems... you never know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Painstorm View Post
    With the way we treat each other and the planet, combined with the fact that earths population has doubled within the last 45 years (from 3.5 billion to 7 billion people), I can't see how we can last more than maybe 200 years more on this planet alone.
    But maybe the near future will bring some fantastic invention/discovery that will solve all our problems... you never know
    Implying the planet is overpopulated; it isn't. It can sustain a -whole- lot more, point of fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Push spacetravel as hard as hell. in 5billion years our sun is going to die and 2billion years after that Andromeda will collide with the milkeyway. The clock is ticking 5billion years to get out of the Galaxy and beyond our nerest galaxy. And be lucky to find a habitable world.
    i say we are dommed if not tech such as wormholes prove to be real. (offtopic)

I say its our best shot to go to mars asap, hide in the caves there until more supplies arrive to avoid radiation. hell we could go to the moon 50years ago with Stoneage tech compared to today. We are ready just add the founds, i myself would go to this brave new world asap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disgusting? Isn't it voluntary?

Quote Originally Posted by Painstorm View Post
    Population will not spiral out of control. Studies have found that populations stabilize in countries once they shift into first-world countries. India and China are in that phase right now, which is why the population is climbing so high lately; stabilized parts of the world are not increasing.

This is all from memory. I could link an article if you want to read it for yourself.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-04-23 at 01:14 PM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Dont see why it's sick or disgusting. It may be a suicide mission technically speaking, but the funding that's being raised towards it could certainly make some progress in space exploration and technology, even if they do not make it there alive, and if they do I would assume they're going to be able to gather some data that has the potential to be useful when they're there. If this is how someone wants to spend their life, I don't really see what's wrong with it - there are plenty of people doing dangerous jobs as well as dangerous things for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Implying the planet is overpopulated; it isn't. It can sustain a -whole- lot more, point of fact.
    It is debatable. We are over fishing the Oceans as is, we do however make more crops etc than we currently use. But the main problem I have with our rising population is over fishing and over pollution. Fresh water is a concern but we can always use other sources to get water though. The other one is housing. You can't just build anywhere. So we often have to build in higher density. Look at tokyo for an example or hong kong for that matter. That would be more normal if the population rises.

Soil degradation is another concern as well. We can provide enough food to cover a rising population but if we continue producing more waste and over fishing and de-foresting then yes we would be over populated as we simply wouldn't be smart enough to use our planets resources wisely.

I have no interest in it but if others do and know the risks I don't have any issues with it.

Do you honestly believe the astronauts that will not be able to EVER return to Earth will not break up the cameras the moment they get into space? Even if the cameras would be connected with vital systems, they can always cover them up with something, lol. The reality show part is certainly not a problem, the problem is actually surviving this mission.

I'm not healthy enough to even apply for this mission, but if I was I certainly would.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Only true if we stop throwing away over half of what we harvest/create. Over half of what we 'consume' isn't put to use at all, but goes to waste.