Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

why won't blizzard allow us to mod characters?

Ok, perhaps I'm wrong about this, but given what I've searched I've drawn to the conclusion that there is nothing across the net that really gives us much option for this, so I figured it must come from a lack there of something.

Wow, with it still using its 8 year old texture design in models and backdrops, compared to many other mmos really is starting to show its age in some areas. Sure, models like pandaren and later models and scenery does show the developers actually doing something.. but only with newer stuff.
    How often do we see a new thread popping up asking 'where are the updates to vanilla models? When are they coming? why are the devs so slow with it?'

And then I begin to look into other games, ones a lot more modern, and to my surprise find people who have gone out of there way to design retextured models for characters in games. Skyrim is the best example of this, given how often I downloaded retextures of my characters to make them look nicer then the vanilla models in it.

Now I can understand for an mmo there had to be a limit to what kind of addons you allow. I mean there are nude mods for wow people have posted around. I'm not sure what blizzard stance is on players using such mods, but from what I've read, nobody but the player can see the retexturing of the character, so it wouldn't bother anyone else, so why should blizzard care?

But, this isn't about using a nude mod, rather its about how no matter where I've looked, I don't see mods that have attempted to update or improve the design of playable characters using modification to do it. Given how so many other games allow for this, I have to wonder, is this because blizzard disallows modification to character models by the player? And if it was something only the player could see, why then would it be an issue?

I just think, there are some smart players out there who are creative in redesigning textures and armor and clothing, I've seen enough of that on other rpgs and even other mmos. So why isn't this something used in wow, where given blizzards lack of developing the old models, it would be really appreciated.
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    because model changing is against the ToC?

There used to be a mod that turned warlock fire green iirc, but even that was banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Ok, perhaps I'm wrong about this, but given what I've searched I've drawn to the conclusion that there is nothing across the net that really gives us much option for this, so I figured it must come from a lack there of something.

Wow, with it still using its 8 year old texture design in models and backdrops, compared to many other mmos really is starting to show its age in some areas. Sure, models like pandaren and later models and scenery does show the developers actually doing something.. but only with newer stuff.
    How often do we see a new thread popping up asking 'where are the updates to vanilla models? When are they coming? why are the devs so slow with it?'

And then I begin to look into other games, ones a lot more modern, and to my surprise find people who have gone out of there way to design retextured models for characters in games. Skyrim is the best example of this, given how often I downloaded retextures of my characters to make them look nicer then the vanilla models in it.

Now I can understand for an mmo there had to be a limit to what kind of addons you allow. I mean there are nude mods for wow people have posted around. I'm not sure what blizzard stance is on players using such mods, but from what I've read, nobody but the player can see the retexturing of the character, so it wouldn't bother anyone else, so why should blizzard care?

But, this isn't about using a nude mod, rather its about how no matter where I've looked, I don't see mods that have attempted to update or improve the design of playable characters using modification to do it. Given how so many other games allow for this, I have to wonder, is this because blizzard disallows modification to character models by the player? And if it was something only the player could see, why then would it be an issue?

I just think, there are some smart players out there who are creative in redesigning textures and armor and clothing, I've seen enough of that on other rpgs and even other mmos. So why isn't this something used in wow, where given blizzards lack of developing the old models, it would be really appreciated.
    I guess if its the players skin texture they change then you can get away with it on your own client. Changing the model would involve the skeleton being changed on some level.

I guess the main reason would be if you open that can of worms then its hard to close it. They work a lot on the new set designs so I guess if you allow players to change their own models then it can run into problems.

I just wish they would update the races already :/

because modding can be used for exploiting and blizz can't tell if you are exploiting or just having fun

cheaters are usually the reason why we can't have nice things

I wish blizz allowed mods. than I'd use those mods that make the girls naked
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

because blizzard said so.. trask deal with it ;P
    and Skyrim is A SINGLE-PLAYER RPG, world of warcraft is a Massivley online multiplayer RPG.
    see the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post

Ew.

EW.

TAUREN FEMALES NAKED.

OIVSOJVDOCSIVCDOIFVOSIVJSOFVDSLKV
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    As said above, changing game files is against the ToS. They don't want players changing the game files because it's what exploiters/cheaters do and they can't tell if you're just changing a skin or using it to exploit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the model change is allowed in some mmos. For example Wot i can change my russan tank into german tank (model) and game mehanics wont suffer.
    You would suffer a bad colusion model (lets say in wow example you change your tauren into a gnome and you get stuck into a tree and you dont see it).

But generaly blizz doesnt allow model change due too advantage....for example seeing mines are lightning in the sky.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    because modding can be used for exploiting and blizz can't tell if you are exploiting or just having fun

cheaters are usually the reason why we can't have nice things

I can understand modding used for explotiing to be a bannable offense, that makes sense. But how can it effect gameplay if, say, i download an mod that makes my orc have brown, mag'har skin instead of green?

For example, I noticed a mod on a site that gives tauren females a spotted fur design. Thats what I mean with retexturing, the skintone on a character for example. how can that effect gameplay?

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 02:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    As said above, changing game files is against the ToS. They don't want players changing the game files because it's what exploiters/cheaters do and they can't tell if you're just changing a skin or using it to exploit.
    so blizzard can't tell if your just using a harmless reskin mod or one that breaks the gameplay?
    Last edited by Trassk; 2013-04-23 at 01:13 PM.
    #boycottchina

so blizzard can't tell if your just using a harmless reskin mod or one that breaks the gameplay?
    exactly. as far as they know, you may have changed a boss gate model into some tiny other model in order to skip a boss, or something like that. that's why they forbid it all.

essentially, it's as easy to use modding for harmless purposes as it is to use it for gamebreaking cheating.

10+ Year Old Account
    exactly. as far as they know, you may have changed a boss gate model into some tiny other model in order to skip a boss, or something like that. that's why they forbid it all.

essentially, it's as easy to use modding for harmless purposes as it is to use it for gamebreaking cheating.
    that seems kind of dark aged. I read that people use character reskins on more recent mmos and not considered exploiting.

On tera online, they created a mod because they prevented characters to show underwear due to Japanese standards. people simple created a mod to allow you to see characters in there underwear as the game originally intended from the beta.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    ...I don't see mods that have attempted to update or improve the design of playable characters using modification to do it. Given how so many other games allow for this, I have to wonder, is this because blizzard disallows modification to character models by the player? And if it was something only the player could see, why then would it be an issue?
    There were mods back in the days, but it wasn't allowed and as far as I remember there was even a change made to the way textures / models are stored.

People had mods for the horrible old Tauren Cat-Druid-model. They replaced it with other animals, like reptiles and stuff. But on the technical side there is no huge difference in changing your Tauren Cat with a crocolisk or a Warsong-flag with a tree.

Deleted
    I used to mod entire areas, such as reviving Duskwood to look bright and vibrant akin to Elwynn Forest, which included swapping out multiple models. There used to be a notorious edit which swapped the basic campfire model with the Dark Portal one and people used that to get to places you can not go, you could also add water to a specific chunk so to other players it would seem as if you were swimming in mid-air.

Regarding your question, there are about half a dozen high quality weapon models around, which really look like something Blizz has made. Simple retextures like Fel Elves, Fel Orcs, Mag'har Orcs, Eredar have been done numerous times in the past, it is not difficult. Making brand new models is, however, because it is a frustrating trial of porting back and forth between file formats since there is no official support. I'm not really sure how it is nowadays or how true of an answer this is, but when you used a retexture or model swap you used to package them in the same way (.mpq file) and I don't think Blizz has bothered making tech to check what the edit actually entails. They did try curbing it by triggering an alarm if you had a custom .mpq in your folders, but that was quickly worked around.
    Last edited by mmoc788ac639a8; 2013-04-23 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typos

they dont want to let people do it as they want to do it themselves. if you just let players do things like that it devalues the product as it wont be the company that created it bring in the changes.

tbh for a game that is 8 and a half years old everything still looks solid. yes you might have some clunky models here and there, but all these things have satisfied over 10 million players. if it was of such great importance/impact they would've changed the models sooner. and on the bright side - we are getting new models next expansion so just play and wait.

Blizzard can not tell the difference between changing skin colour and changing what the enemy flag on CTF maps looks like.
    So, cheaters ruin everything for us nice folks.

I just want to have shadowmourne swirls when I pop my wings. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    There were mods back in the days, but it wasn't allowed and as far as I remember there was even a change made to the way textures / models are stored.

People had mods for the horrible old Tauren Cat-Druid-model. They replaced it with other animals, like reptiles and stuff. But on the technical side there is no huge difference in changing your Tauren Cat with a crocolisk or a Warsong-flag with a tree.
    and this is what I don't get in blizzards gripe about it. if the only who seeing this mod is the player themselves, the same as when they alter a UI setting from curse, why would it effect gameplay or anything else if its just the player seeing it.

I often would like to play a mag'har or even a dragonmaw orc with that skin/texture, and if I'm the only one who see's it from my side, it doesn't effect anyone else.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah, I guess this is where the overused expression of slippery slope applies. Allow players to mess with a tiny bit and somebody finds an exploit.
    sigh... I guess its kind of like the thing where in vanilla wow forsaken could speak cross faction. It was a great concept for RP, but because some pathetic little trolls decided to flame cross faction, they removed it.

sometimes I hate playing on a mmo.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    As several people have already said, it's because when you change a game file, Blizzard can't tell if you just changed your orc's skin color or if you're exploiting something much more. They can't tell. So they forbid it at all.

and this is what I don't get in blizzards gripe about it. if the only who seeing this mod is the player themselves, the same as when they alter a UI setting from curse, why would it effect gameplay or anything else if its just the player seeing it.

I often would like to play a mag'har or even a dragonmaw orc with that skin/texture, and if I'm the only one who see's it from my side, it doesn't effect anyone else.
    mainly because collision is client based, not server based.

if you change megaera's door model for something small (like the white and blue cube), you can cross it without killing megaera. other players will not see the cube, but they will see you passing through the closed door like magic.

Deleted
    It comes down how they find exploits.
    When the client is scanning for *things that should not be there*, it can't by itself know if you have just given your main character a higher pixel texture, or if you have made all enemies neon green to be easier to spot. This makes it much harder to scan for exploits because the chance of false-positives would be very high. If they don't allow it at all, then you can't complain when you get banned for doing something innocent, because it is still against the rules.

It's also a matter of where to draw the line. We all know that there are allot of people who would push the limit. "But it's just a small color correction" - that help with a tactic. "But it's just a minor model change" that makes other players easier to see in BG.
    It's simply easier to say "You can't do it" instead of saying "You can do XYZ but not ABCDEFGHTI etc etc etc".

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Ew.

EW.

TAUREN FEMALES NAKED.

OIVSOJVDOCSIVCDOIFVOSIVJSOFVDSLKV
    the tauren female part of the mod isn't that bad. it's just not attractive because the tauren female is not attractive.

now, the dwarf female part is sad. imagine a male dwarf's beard on the female's nethers and you'll know what I'm talking about lol

good thing fem dwarve are so rare