Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Custom Arenas and Spectator Mode this month!

Word is being leaked on various fan sites about features coming this month.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04...brings-custom/

Custom arenas
    Spectator mode
    New dungeon
    New guild missions
    New weapons, new guild rewards, new WvW abilities

And the new "must have" item....(for me)
    A sonic tunneling tool that will let you travel short distances underground.

Custom arenas and spectator mode is going to put pvp balance to the TEST. With all the options on making rules for your arena this is going to be amazing. You can:

Set name
    Password options
    Logon message
    Team size
    Time & score limit
    Respawn type & timing
    Ready button options
    Number of players
    Number of member only slots
    Membership list
    Banned players
    Map rotation
    Progression
    Gear/skill swap options
    Autobalancing options

Spectator mode will have options to either view from player's POV or fixed camera at high traffic areas.
    Valar morghulis

The dungeon hasn't been built by the normal dungeon team. Instead, it was tackled by the same folks who made the Halloween and Wintersday instanced content
    Thank god, I swear the dungeon team is smoking crack or something...

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 03:10 PM ----------

The way they are putting in custom arenas is a big disappointment. People were hoping it would stop dueling servers, well so much for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the article:

As living story content, the dungeon will be available only for a set amount of time. Because of that, it can have pretty neat rewards -- "really cool ones" that "you'll want to come back for." There's no need to run the dungeon multiple times to get the whole story, but folks who do go in multiple times over the course of its presence in the world will find that it changes over time. There's variety in some of the things that happen and combinations of enemies in order to give players the feeling that they're not just ransacking the same facility over and over. To reinforce that, the entrances and exits to the dungeon will be moving throughout the cycle.
    Dynamic dungeons - LOVE IT!
    Valar morghulis

What's wrong with custom arenas? That seems like a pretty robust rule set you can adjust to. They are custom games so being miffed over that is like being annoyed by ARAM.

Also, yes. The "normal" dungeon team are flippin' awful. Probably the laziest and least QAd dungeons I have ever played in an MMO. I played Forsaken World too, mind you. XD

Dynamic dungeons - LOVE IT!
    fyi thats what they said for current dungeons too, and we get troll boss in ascalon

lol

What's wrong with custom arenas? That seems like a pretty robust rule set you can adjust to. They are custom games so being miffed over that is like being annoyed by ARAM.
    I mean the buying part. Nobody who just wants to duel will waste money on it when they can just use a empty server and then the f'en que puts me in that dueling server for no reason.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 03:21 PM ----------

So 4 new weapons total. The mace and shield from brox and whatever the hell roxx is using.

So that's 3 weapons my mesmer can't use... last one I bet will be a scepter out of f'en spite.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait to see some of the creative messages people come up with for their logon messages for their arenas, rofl.
    Valar morghulis

Seems like a good patch. However, it seems like they are repeating what they did with the personal story in how they approach the living story ending. Sort of disappointed with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to this article on MMORPG.com players will be able to host their own tournys.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...onclusion.html

This is going to get interesting.
    /cackles
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Seems like a good patch. However, it seems like they are repeating what they did with the personal story in how they approach the living story ending. Sort of disappointed with that.
    Agreed. I shoudn't be forced to group up to do something that ends the story that i was able to see by myself up until now. Pretty shitty move imo. So each character i make has to do Orr Story mode or when a new expansion or something comes up i won't be able to continue MY story.

Deleted
    Will be a big shame if they stick by what they said before about renting the custom server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Also, yes. The "normal" dungeon team are flippin' awful. Probably the laziest and least QAd dungeons I have ever played in an MMO. I played Forsaken World too, mind you. XD
    Agree'd, and I'm disappointed that it will be yet even more temporary content as I understand it.. /sigh.

As a major pvper I am not even interested in custom arena's, need more game modes first. I will probably spend some time in spectator though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Agreed. I shoudn't be forced to group up to do something that ends the story that i was able to see by myself up until now. Pretty shitty move imo. So each character i make has to do Orr Story mode or when a new expansion or something comes up i won't be able to continue MY story.
    Yea cause you know your soooo strong by yourself. Since your sooo strong you can prolly take on the other 4 elderdragons by yourself on each of your toons right?

Get real. Your the size of a toothpick to these monsters, your gonna need help just like all of tyria's races need your help. This whole story has been about what? Uniting together to take down a greater evil. And all you wanna do is make everything about yourself.

If you wrote a diary about yourself IRL, are there not other characters that you interact with? Maybe some make daily appearances? Friends perhaps? What if you were an officer in an army and kept a diary of events. Wouldn't your commanding officers get the spotlight in reality while you get carried along? Pretty sure no one knows who fought alongside George Washington. And we my friend are no George Washington. Let the Heroes be Heroes, and the rest of us fodder be food for their legacy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Yea cause you know your soooo strong by yourself. Since your sooo strong you can prolly take on the other 4 elderdragons by yourself on each of your toons right?

Get real. Your the size of a toothpick to these monsters, your gonna need help just like all of tyria's races need your help. This whole story has been about what? Uniting together to take down a greater evil. And all you wanna do is make everything about yourself.

If you wrote a diary about yourself IRL, are there not other characters that you interact with? Maybe some make daily appearances? Friends perhaps? What if you were an officer in an army and kept a diary of events. Wouldn't your commanding officers get the spotlight in reality while you get carried along? Pretty sure no one knows who fought alongside George Washington. And we my friend are no George Washington. Let the Heroes be Heroes, and the rest of us fodder be food for their legacy.
    And this is why we can't have anything good. I didn't say i wasnt ok with the dungeon being in. Just that i should have to option to solo it with the NPCs like the previous instances in the previous patch if i choose to, so i can see the story. Then have a 5 man mode with actual rewards for it. So i am not allowed to play alone if i choose to , is that what your saying? They clearly showed last patch they can put a couple competent NPCs with decent AIs to help you out. Also what your basically saying is 1 toothpick is useless against these monsters but 5 are? Lol get real.
    Last edited by Razael; 2013-04-23 at 07:18 PM.

Deleted
    I've seen a lot of people complaining about that the Custom Arenas will be sold through the gem store.

ArenaNet even said from the start that Custom Arenas is something that you will hire from them. Also, is there ANY other MMO out there that even give such service that lets you open up your own custom arena with rules and spectator mode? Even the ones having a subscription fee?

Well, I think this is great. SPvP is slowly growing (too slow) but it's a start, it will help a lot in the future.

Now if they give everyone 5k more HP I think the burst in this game could be acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Official blog on Custom Arena and Spectator Mode.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/i...tor-mode-beta/

and the rest of it...
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-ga...april-30-2013/
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Official blog on Custom Arena and Spectator Mode.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/i...tor-mode-beta/

and the rest of it...
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-ga...april-30-2013/
    Even tho i don't play PVP its kinda cool to see that game mode progress significantly with these patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    They did say that the Living Story would move on to new content. Some things will stay some not. SBA has come, it's going and has been a blast. I don't think this type of deal has ANY problem as long as it's managed BETTER Than 1time events like Karka-Kirby-Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    And this is why we can't have anything good. I didn't say i wasnt ok with the dungeon being in. Just that i should have to option to solo it with the NPCs like the previous instances in the previous patch if i choose to, so i can see the story. Then have a 5 man mode with actual rewards for it. So i am not allowed to play alone if i choose to , is that what your saying? They clearly showed last patch they can put a couple competent NPCs with decent AIs to help you out. Also what your basically saying is 1 toothpick is useless against these monsters but 5 are? Lol get real.
    I see what you are getting at but I still believe that there will be content with different paths. I just think it's not that big of a deal if they are giving a dungeon o.0...(Comments on the dung remain to be given after I see it) but I think it's exactly what they proposed, you can see how this is evolving to a bigger event, which was supposed to be. Much like our personal story. Which is what Zeek is getting at (but a bit too foward maybe) is just that sure soloable content is fun but if ALL the Living story stuff came with soloable-only dungeons or mini-dungeons it would be rather plain, tasteless and boring. Not because you have friends (or npcs) with you to fight the big guys but because the content does scale in "epicness". Also you ARE playing a mmo XD....and there is content to do solo.

In the end I feel like no matter what Anet does it seems it will always backfire

Just my opinion XD.

About Arenas:

Yes, yes, yes. I had a good big guild at launch. About 300 players at least 70 active. I always wanted to have a server to make 2v2 tournaments, duels, strats, help ppl out without the problems of the dooshes (and yes there are many) coming in. But this remains to be seen, The price of it mostly. How much to have and to mantain, if it isn't much I will def get it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Karizee I can't find any info on that tunneling tool... where did you get that from?

So far... nothing new really happening in the outside, world. That was the 'living story'? Well let's wait and see the full patch notes.

Lol saying custom arenas are coming is a huge leap here, they're going in beta for 50 frigin people (100 worldwide) whoop fidely fucking dooo...

I think all the "rules" are horrible. You can't do anything to balance the game yourself, the game won't be balanced all of a sudden with XvX instead of 5v5. Respawn time also won't help a lot since the problem is that people just don't die and that's a perfectly fine strategy to win atm... (aka horribly broken)

@whoever said burst is too strong
    You realise that burst is a joke right now right? You see nothing but bunkers whenever you play. I've got a list of screenshots from one night's play (6h) every team had 3+ bunkers.

@whoever said PvP is "growing"
    That's BS, custom arenas won't help since the problem is that the game isn't balanced at it's base. Conquest isn't suited for mmorpg's

@whoever said that a-net was clear it would be paid CA
    Other games like wow don't need custom arenas since
    1. MMR works 2. You don't get teamed up vs "random" pugs 3. The game-mode is sort of balanced, there will always be a strongest build 4. Tournament realm is cheap, has different rules and is very competitive 5. you can actually duel 6. there are enough games to spectate via (for example) youtube/streams

If you want I can keep going but seriously, at this point in time a-net shouldn't be charging more than 10bucks for permanent server access, it's been too long to finally implement this stuff...