Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    That's what fixxi said, not blue. Blu was shoutcasting without fixi at the start...

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 01:27 AM ----------

I wish obs was like in GW so everyone could make shoutcasts...

I call BS, Blu simply doesn't know the meta so he needs someone to hold his hand and guide him through the forrest, basically he needs a shoutcaster...
    You mean exactly like dear Apollo and TB? Or Riv and Jatt?

Apollo actually knows his shit and I think he's one of the best casters out there for SC2. TB is a great example though, I also don't consider that guy a good shoutcaster. I'm not formiliar with riv and jatt so I can't comment on those.

To put it in a gaming setting instead of chess. "So we now see that he's going for carriers since we see one on the field right here" vs "he'll probably go for carriers since he just put down the stargate and void rays aren't great for midgame."

People who just say what's happening don't really help since I can see that myself (which is why I find them boring, annoying and bad).

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Apollo actually knows his shit and I think he's one of the best casters out there for SC2. TB is a great example though, I also don't consider that guy a good shoutcaster.
    That's my point. Apollo brings analysis as does Jatt. TB and Riv bring color, not expertise as a rule.

It's perfectly fine for a caster to not offer depth in commentary. Many don't, such as in play-by-play or the rarer triple casting technique. Such commentators are there to provide vulgar explanation in actual, or layman, as seen in not only E-sports [again, Riv, Apollo, Wheat] but in all sports.

"doesn't know the meta so he needs someone to hold his hand and guide him through the forrest"

Describes exactly a number of broad, shout and amateur casters throughout history. Including some of the most popular casters & practitioners of the form.

It's fine really.

Oh ofcourse, my point is simply that anyone can commentate the way TB, Blu,... do it. I know these casters can be successful but to me they are 'entertainers' and it totally doesn't matter to the fans of those casters what game they're talking about. In the CoD scene woodysgamertag comes to mind. Most people watch him because of what he has to say regarding 'life' but hardly anyone watches for the great analyses.

I think atm people need apollo like casting since that way they understand why x,y,z happens instead of "AND THE GUARDIAN IS DOWN!!!" (I know but why? Fck it silly game it's just target and blow up...).

Nearly all casters I know started off by being an annalist. All the great ones from COD/SC(2)/GW/WoW/... started with explaining basic stuff.
    (Right now we're seeing XXgOdlYsniperXX pushing through the far left trying to cut off any B-rushes and if he doesn't see anyone he can attack in the back.) (So an interesting opener we see here from the protoss throwing down a stargate. Probably to get 3voidrays to go get the wall down and then harass the miners)...

Ofcourse we'll have to see about this but atm I think most ppl simply watch so they can see the games.

One thing that has me curious lately is IF GW2 gains any popular momentum to be considered an E-sport-- where will it be played?

It seems in the last year E-sports in general are moving away from the tournament driven, weekend festivals. More toward insular leagues and circuits. Which to a degree were already present in Korea [GSL] and within the Fighting game circuits.

The extremely successful LCS this year, Blizzard's introduction of a closed league as well, the demise of IPL and MLG/ESL sorta being left to promotional games like Playstation All-Stars has me doubting GW2's E-sport chances.

Anet likely do not have the capital, marketing or popularity to fund their own LCS. And I don't think regional festivals are going to do much in a post LCS/AzTv/GOMTV era. Even Valve are barely keep The International going and most of that is through force of will [read: money] on their part.

This will likely never be an e-sport played professionally. There is no money in Guild Wars 2.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-05-07 at 01:03 PM.

MLG/IPL have some very big issues since those tournaments are usually invite only or rely upon a very scewed way of entering. I think those are the main reasons as to why more and more people/games are making their own leagues.

The problem with MLG (etc) is that they need a lot of man-power just to flesh out rules and make sure the game remains fair. For some games (like WoW) this proved to be very hard which resulted in them always having to play with non-meta gear/patches which diminished interest and eventually lead to MLG dropping WoW.

I think making your own league isn't that hard at all (nor costly) if you make it easy on the playerbase to organise their own tournaments. SC2 has lots of "mini" tournaments where people can win 100$ or 500$ or so which is a lot of money for regular gaming joes like me who'll get interest and who'll then continue to get the ball rolling. Those people will start watching streams of matches they couldn't participate in and as we all know the name of the internet is numbers, the moment you break 500viewers on twitch it's a lot easier to get the next 100 and so on.

The main issue with GW2 is that there's no way of enforcing rules for your own tournaments. MLG CoD for instances also relies on an honor code (no kill streaks/flack jacket/...) but you can't just implement stuff like that into an rpg (just try to "balance" a PD bunker guardian).

Basically the main issue is that the game just isn't close to be being balanced.

I used to organise small-scale tournaments in GW for my alliance where it usually was 4v4 tdm or 6v6 GvG (this was really interesting) with ingame prizes.

Imo a big help would be an obs-mode closer to the one they had in GW (you can see all top 100teams) but ofcourse since GW2's shit pvp implementation this is currently impossible...

The reason why many devs put out a lot of money for their tournaments (which cost them a lot) is publicity. It's basically just give-aways of 10k which is nothing in a marketing budget. Remember that these companies attract lots of sponsors so they for instance don't have to buy all pc-rigs etc.

Heh, that's the thing. I don't think Anet have any money or clout to run their own league like Blizzard, Valve and Tencent. Nor do I think the scant regional tourneys with MLG/ESl/IPL declining in viewership and prize pools can sustain GW2 to any sort of professional play.

Anet are gonna need a lot of money if they wish to make GW2 an E-sport.

Highly doubtful that is even with in the operational budget of a B2P MMO that develops on two fronts for long term profit.

Valve don't give any fucks about the living story of DOTA2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inaugural MMORPG.com Guild Wars 2 Invitational Tournament

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/l...nal-Tournament

MMORPG.com and ArenaNet present the inaugural MMORPG.com Guild Wars 2 Invitational Tournament! Eight of the most elite 5-man teams in the GW2 community face off for ArenaNet swag and GW2 Gems, as eSports makes its way into Tyria.

We'll be hosting the event on our official MMORPG.com Twitch.tv channel at 12PM PDT (7PM GMT) on Sunday, May 26 2013. The tournament will feature a single-elimination format in matches decided by a best of three and the grand finals in a best of seven. Teams will be limited to five players with locked gear and builds.

The following maps will be in rotation:
    Forest of Nifhel
    Battle of Khylo
    Legacy of the Foefire

Each map will be set for a 500 point victory condition with individual respawns set on a 20-second timer.

The event will be shoutcasted by Jack "BLU42" Mullen with a co-caster to be decided.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Finals right now - Made in Meta vs The Civilized Gentlemen. $500 on the line, close games

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru

http://binarybeast.com/xGW21305130
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Official Mist League launching May 31, 2013

$10,000 Prize Pool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bu3...ure=youtu.be&a

http://www.mistleague.com/
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I dunno about close, even the announcers seemed a bit bored. MiM pretty much blew them away in both games. Nice to watch, though.
    the Pish vs MiM and the TP vs TCG matchups were the best of the tournament imo. really tense and entertaining to watch. looking forward to seeing how NA performs at this weekends tourney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Official Mist League launching May 31, 2013

$10,000 Prize Pool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bu3...ure=youtu.be&a

http://www.mistleague.com/
    this has some great potential. if the players and other parties take interest and really commit to this this could lead to a really amazing summer for the GW2 competitive scene. if you have any interest in competitive MMO PvP show your support for GW2 streams and leagues such as this, i know that it is really early on, but at least we can say we were there from the start!
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

I'd show support if my team didn't disband in february...

10+ Year Old Account
    get them back or make a new one, there are many tools you can use to recruit/find a team /r/GW2esports and mistleague.com. but even if you don't find a team, just as long as you show support and watch livestreams of tourneys and give constructive feedback then you can still support the scene that way.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account

$10,000 Prize Pool

Watch it get real serious real fast as they start adding zeros to that number
    Valar morghulis

Erm. There is an asterisk next to the "$10,000" prize pool.

This is as much an Esport as Super Smash Bros.

Deleted
    Omg, yours lived long =) My friends left my team... well, when did planetside 2 launch? About same time as that. Now soloqueues for me left, and it hasnt been implemented very well in the game yet so.... No compatition for me, but I sure hope to do some solo progression and I wish they had a proper ladder as well with like stone, copper, silver.... a long wait left and many players missing to make it viable :P
    Good thing though that they are doing something for the few teams that exists out there =)

10+ Year Old Account
    This coming Sunday is the MMORPG.com GW2 Invitational

Sunday May 26, 2013
    12PM PDT
    8 Teams
    3 Maps
    10,000 gems + ArenaNet Swag

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ournament.html
    Valar morghulis

Hey guys Aussie Archer here from Mist League .com - Followed some of our traffic back to here! I'd like to start by saying thanks for the support! We are finding our info being spread everywhere, secondly I'd like to clear a few things up as I noticed some questions and doubts in earlier threads.

1) $10,000 - Yes, we need to 100% secure it, Yes we have already had a few thousand donated, Yes sponsors are communicating with us, Yes Anet are advertising us everywhere

2) WORST case scenario - We don't quite reach $10,000, let's say for example purposes $8,000 - It's still bigger than any other tournament and we still have been productive for the community!

3) Follow the updates we are adding advanced LFGuild features to help you guys -

4) Esports

10+ Year Old Account
    Finals right now - Made in Meta vs The Civilized Gentlemen. $500 on the line, close games
    $500! I need to quit my job and get in to GW2 Esports, serious business. I actually watched one on youtube, personally found it as dull as most Esports, I really get annoyed by most commentators.