Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wait, so was this thread made so everyone can come in and say that they play too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbot View Post
    Real Life is dumb, though. The titles are lame, the gear is almost entirely cloth with no stats whatsoever, and PVP is strongly discouraged.
    First genuine laugh of the day! Thanks for this lol

Top guilds play more than casual players. A lot.
    They do not raid the same hours as they used to back in TBC or whatnot.
    16 hours a day is what SOME do (most do less) in a week.

Now this tier lasted 1 month from Jin'rokh death till Ra'den death. And yes, Ra'den made them continue play for as long, because they spent more time between wipes than on the actual boss himself.

Taking on average 15 hours a day for 1 month makes 450 hours for a tier right?
    For the casual guild who raids 15 hours a week, it would require 30 weeks to clear the content. That is on average 7-8 months. Guilds who need that long are not average, they are terribad. My guild with its 10 hours a week is already 5/13. I would say that my guild is average and that we are on the whole, casual. Definitely not the worst, definitely not the best.

Now I have spent around 60 hours at normal or heroic raiding this tier, ~12 hours per boss, right, and item upgrades will make this even smoother. I will definitely raid less than 300 hours worth of raiding time this tier. That is 50% less than top guilds did.

And then someone said that top guilds raid less overall. /giggle

If your point is that top guilds raid less than scrubs, you are correct, but they do not raid less than average guilds. That is the price for forcing yourselves on content that is meant to be done in higher gear. It is logical they spend more time than the Averages.
    Last edited by Potentio; 2013-04-23 at 09:14 PM.

They get sponsorship for it, so why not its a job.

Sure, those many hours per day can fairly be described as "no-lifing" for the period it goes on for; but I suspect a lot of the players doing that are either students, or simply plan holidays around content releases so that they can do the progression surge and then relax back into a normal raiding pattern afterwards. It's honestly not that big a deal and I'd imagine average guilds running three nights a week probably give up more of their free time over the course of a patch. Most people that veil insults behind comments like "I don't raid, I have a life" are usually just telling you they're absolutely awful at managing it.

The biggest gripe I have is that it's the baseline. Before you consider your gear, your UI, your gaming rig or your ability to play the game, you first have to ensure you can find the ludicrous time to play if you plan on being in a top guild. I'm almost certain Paragon raid more hours per day than this, while there are other guilds (that I won't mention) who openly urge their players to use narcotics to stay on top of themselves during progression. Is it really worth breaking the law over? Drugs are for imbeciles.

In fact, I recall Method themselves stating how punishing the opening tier of Cataclysm was on their time, given the high number of bosses and the expansion release over a holiday period - I actually remember Sco (I'm sure it was Sco) mentioning the dreaded gate in a positive light, and shocking quite a few people when he did so. Might that have played a part in the content starvation we saw in Cataclysm?

I've argued for a long time now that hard gating such as the Sunwell or Icecrown is a good thing, but most folks don't agree. Had the Throne of Thunder extended over another couple of weeks, it's a discussion that might have cropped up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    We don't know all the reasons, and if you honestly think that SoO will last for 15 months and that WoD won't release until the 20th of december, you are beyond silly.
    Well, we'll just have to wait and see who's "beyond silly"... Won't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Such a bad way to spend their lives.
    Immersing yourself in your interests cannot be measured in value.

People can do whatever they want. It's their lives. If they want to play 16 hours a day, that's cool. I don't judge. Though sadly, that is what people do more than ever now. Besides, from what I understand, they're sponsored, so, well, that is pretty much their job. Even if they weren't, WoW is a hobby, and it's no different than say fishing or whatever your hobbies are. People that are insulting them, chances are if you talked about your hobbies and all that stuff, we could find something to bash you about. People need to realize that with 7 billion people in the world, everyone is different. As long as someone is happy doing what they love to do, just say, that's cool man, and move on.

during progress 14-16 hours a day is normal. once progress is over you dont raid more than 4 hours a WEEK.

2-3 nights a week at 3 hours each for my guild. Never saw a point in raceing to world firsts. Not like I can put it on my job resume and get offered a dream career for it and outside of wow no one cares.
    I'm a Paladin, Judging is sort of my thing...

"•Blackout Kick now causes the victim to wake up the next day and question their life choices."

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    to each their own but being good at WOW is not gonna make you any better at REAL LIFE.
    This assumes they care.

And what exactly is being 'better at REAL LIFE'? Being able to grind a 9-5 day in, day out?

Anyway, they put in the obscene hours because they're sponsored to do so. It's not something I would want to do, as I value exercise and the outdoors too highly too commit that amount of time, but eh, more power to them if that is how they choose to spend their time.

I raided 4 x 4 hour and i think i was way too much.
    Who are you to judge them? Why do you get to decide what is a good way to spend their own lives and what is not?

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    during progress 14-16 hours a day is normal. once progress is over you dont raid more than 4 hours a WEEK.
    14-16 hrs during progression sounds about right but after that, top guilds have multiple alts to gear so they do raid quite a bit after progression to have all their characters in BIS or close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Maybe in the past, but an emphasis on alts has changed this. You can't clear ToT 3 times in 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezx View Post
    14-16 hrs during progression sounds about right but after that, top guilds have multiple alts to gear so they do raid quite a bit after progression to have all their characters in BIS or close to it.

Indeed, don't forget about the time it takes to gear and maintain mandatory alts. I'm sure they love that 50 lesser charm change.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    They get sponsorship for it, so why not its a job.
    Yeah, atleast they can eat their sponsored mousepads and headsets after the progression period!
    Most people do not realize the talent and skill it requires to be in a top guild. Many of you think its only about time invested, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

They raid those hours during progression then during "farm" they most likely raided something like 4 hours a week give or take. One clear on mains and one clear on alts. Thats usually how it goes.

Love this kind of attitude. Do you realize that REAL progression guilds raid far less than casual guilds who think they are raiding guilds? The first couple weeks of a new tier of bosses there is a lot of raiding then everything is on farm. It comes down to raiding once a week to clear all of the heroic content that most casual guilds will never see.

Melee usually end up raiding more as they gear up range toons since 99% of the time we stack range because they usually do more dps and take less dmg. No movement to target, etc. So gearing up ranged alts and raiding once a week to clear all of the current content.

While a casual guild/lesser progression based guilds will be fighting their way through content for months leading right into the next tier with few guilds clearing heroic by the time another tier of bosses is available. Once a toon is geared, other players will come in to get gear and that player doesnt even have to log on unless he wants to.

If that's how they wish to spend their time and they enjoy doing so, then who are you to judge?

Does anyone else wonder what else we could of done with all the hours we have played WoW...

Quote Originally Posted by Banawani View Post
    Who are you to judge them? Why do you get to decide what is a good way to spend their own lives and what is not?
    Whats even better is someone getting off wow saying these people have no life only to turn around, sit down and watch tv. Heck, i have helped out friends in casual guilds and they say they dont have time yet they farm mounts, pets, achivement pts, etc. They dont want to put any effort but want the progression, this is what i have experienced.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HavocPrime View Post
    Does anyone else wonder what else we could of done with all the hours we have played WoW...
    Not really, i still have time for the gym and personal life along with school. New tiers are time consuming at the beginning but then become almost nothing a few weeks after that. Usually enough people will say heroics are too hard then they are nerfed even more then we will clear everything in one night.