Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

"Method raided 14-16 hours a day during much of the progression."

Hello, I posted this bullet point here with the interest of knowing how much time people spend on the game and particularly on raiding. I would like to hear others oppinions because, for a long time, I heard people say that high end raiders spends several hours a day during progression and then just slowed down during farm. Now, I never thought it was something in over 10 hours a day frame. But 14 - 16 hours game sessions? Damn.

Regardless of the fact that they "slow down" after world 1st, how much is slow for a person raiding 14 hours a day?

How much do you spend on raids and in the game for that matter? I, for one, raid 2 to 3 nights a weeks and spend between 2 - 3 hours of raid time each. Thats it, my guild isnt progression at all but I do enjoy what content we get to finish.

I just say this because I honestly think... the ammount of time "high end raiders" spend on the game... sounds unhealthy.

When the race for "world first" is over they have normal raiding times like anyone else, it's pretty much on farm by then.. and there is no gain raiding so much.
    Method isn't the only guild rading this extreme during progression which in this case is really just trying to go for world first, not to simply get bosses down

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuli View Post
    When the race for "world first" is over they have normal raiding times like anyone else.
    Actually they have less than everyone else.
    "The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived." -Oscar Wilde

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dinga/advanced

its only 1 or 2 weeks, then they go back to normal raiding schedule

After there world first, they probably just clear the instance every week and on there alts and be done with it, shouldn't be more than 4 raid nights

Such a bad way to spend their lives.
    I raided 4 x 4 hour and i think i was way too much.

Signature made by my best friend Aryiana.

It depends on what they do outside of wow. When I used to raid, quite high end (sunwell in TBC), we had 4 raid nights a week, without a good excuse you had to attend (or be available to attend) 3 out of the 4 a week, and they were 4-5 hours on average. But I was a student back then, I wasn't working, and uni itself had quite handy timetable at the time. I could do my raid, then go out to the local for a few drinks - get the social life in and still easily fit in time for uni work and farming for raids. not to mention most non raid nights we'd be raiding old content or doing arena stuff.

Remember a lot of the guilds seriously competing for world first are sponsored, essencially its their job to put those crazy hours in for those weeks during the world first attempts

Most people will spend more time at all on the bosses then them ...2weeks hardcore then just easygoing kills(most of the time)

19.30-24.00 are the official raid times during farm, but it's far less than that. 5 farm raids, 2-3 hour clears depending on how far into farm. So yeah, less than other "good" guilds.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Remember a lot of the guilds seriously competing for world first are sponsored, essencially its their job to put those crazy hours in for those weeks during the world first attempts
    Sponsorships don't nearly pay enough for a full time job, if they reward cash at all. Don't kid yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Such a bad way to spend their lives.
    I raided 4 x 4 hour and i think i was way too much.
    Yes because what you think is a good way must be the best way for everyone..pretentious d...

If you want to be in contention for world firsts you've gotta do the hours, was the same in vanilla as it is now. You raided 4x4 hours and what did you achieve? Talk about time wasted.

Flaming is not tolerated here
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-04-23 at 04:11 PM.

They obviously don't sit down at their PC's for 14-16 hours straight, and do nothing but pull bosses - a lot of people like to think that's how high end guilds do it, but it's really not. There are a lot of breaks, seeing as it's pretty limited how long a person can focus on a specific task without at least a small break.

This tier, we did (I think it was at least) 4 days of raiding during the normal mode week (we had assigned plans for 6, but the later groups were clearing faster, so we got some days off). Then the first week of heroic modes we did 7 days, with hours from ~ 19:15 - 01:00 (extended sometimes if we felt we were close to a kill or w/e). The second week of heroic modes I believe we did 6 days (Saturday was the off day, despite a lot of raiders wanting to raid).

During farm, all top guilds, typically, do a lot less hours than a lot of the guilds which have a longer progression cycle. It's all about those high amounts of hours, for a very short period of time, to then fall back to a lot less hours, for a longer period of time.

I get that, once on farm, they usually just clear raids in 1 or 2 short nights. But still, I don´t even fathom the idea of spending 1 or 2 weeks playing 14 to 16 hours. I have a job, family, friends and life to live. I can´t bunker down that long for any 1 thing for so long.

I´m not trying to point fingers here. its just that I really didnt think it was THAT extreme. A 16 hour raid day meant they got up at some point, started raiding, stopped, went to bed, woke up and went to raid again. Thats just not worth any sort of tittle to me. But, again, thats just me.

14 hours a week is too much let alone a day. How can anyone have a normal life when raiding this much?

Field Marshal
    Actually most top guilds raid less in total than most 3-4 nights a week guilds. Seeing that they during farm only raid very little compared to casual guilds

During the race at 14 hours a day you've got to wonder how many of them end up hating the game.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troid View Post
    They obviously don't sit down at their PC's for 14-16 hours straight, and do nothing but pull bosses - a lot of people like to think that's how high end guilds do it, but it's really not. There are a lot of breaks, seeing as it's pretty limited how long a person can focus on a specific task without at least a small break.

This tier, we did (I think it was at least) 4 days of raiding during the normal mode week (we had assigned plans for 6, but the later groups were clearing faster, so we got some days off). Then the first week of heroic modes we did 7 days, with hours from ~ 19:15 - 01:00 (extended sometimes if we felt we were close to a kill or w/e). The second week of heroic modes I believe we did 6 days (Saturday was the off day, despite a lot of raiders wanting to raid).

During farm, all top guilds, typically, do a lot less hours than a lot of the guilds which have a longer progression cycle. It's all about those high amounts of hours, for a very short period of time, to then fall back to a lot less hours, for a longer period of time.
    That sound more reasonable because its not a non stop pull and go time. But still, sitting around waiting for strats and checking numbers and tweaking things for min maxing counts as "playing the game".

Most of the hardcore gamers I know look pretty healthy. Be it the Starcraft 2 pro, practicing 12h+ a day, the Diablo/PoE player, farming 12h+ a day or the hardcore raider. Yeah, there are other people. There are always other people.
    I can see what you see not - vision milky then eyes rot. When you turn, they will be gone - whispering their hidden song...

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    Hello, I posted this bullet point here with the interest of knowing how much time people spend on the game and particularly on raiding. I would like to hear others oppinions because, for a long time, I heard people say that high end raiders spends several hours a day during progression and then just slowed down during farm. Now, I never thought it was something in over 10 hours a day frame. But 14 - 16 hours game sessions? Damn.

Regardless of the fact that they "slow down" after world 1st, how much is slow for a person raiding 14 hours a day?

How much do you spend on raids and in the game for that matter? I, for one, raid 2 to 3 nights a weeks and spend between 2 - 3 hours of raid time each. Thats it, my guild isnt progression at all but I do enjoy what content we get to finish.

I just say this because I honestly think... the ammount of time "high end raiders" spend on the game... sounds unhealthy.
    Thing is that in the long run they might spend a whole lot less time than most people. They WILL get to the point where they can finish the instance in 1 raiding night of 5-6 hours rather soon. At that point they can raid 0-5hours/ week while most people will still be progressing and putting ~9 even more hours.

Guilds on my realm that are progressing/will still be progressing tend to raid 4x3.5hours/week... and they will do this to the end without finishing the tier.

Method had around 20 days of progression raiding. By the time they got Ra-Den down, they were able to clear the instance INCLUDING Ra-Den in 2 days. It's safe to say it's 1 day now.

Let's say 21x16 = 336 hours; + 19x6 = 114 = 450 hours put into this tier for Method.
    For our average Joe world 2500 guild, it's 4x3.5x22= 308 hours put into this tier.

The only difference is that average Joe will be pretty much locked in 4 days of the week for the next 4 and a half months, 3 and a half hours for 4 times a week.
    Method did 3 weeks of progression and now they can pretty much have 1 raid night for the next 4 and a half months.

It's more effort at the start and more time sank overall but they are DONE. They won't have progress to do, they will steamroll the place asap. They have the rest of the time to do wtf they want.

Been raiding on that level myself and I feel like sharing a few words regarding this subject.

A lot of people comment on this with typical things, such as "waste of life, get a girlfriend, go outside. GET A LIFE!". Yes, raiding this much does sound really extreme and taking time off from school, jobs or whatever you are currently doing, does seem odd to a lot of people, but they forget some of the other factors. After progressing so intense and spending so many hours straight for ~2 weeks, things are usually cleared in 1-2 days. At the end of the tier, everything is cleared within hours. I remember back in Firelands, when we were clearing it in ~2 - 3 hours, some guilds were still raiding 4-5 times a week for 3-4 hours each raid, and they had not yet cleard Firelands.
    To be fair, I would much rather spend so many hours for a few weeks, than spending the entire content raiding many days a weeks for about 4 hours each raid.

Now about taking time off from work or school. Who is to decide how people spend their vacation weeks? Some might want to go on a trip somewhere, some might want to a football cup or some might even just want to stay at home and relax. Why is spending it on raiding so much different? It is a matter of interest.

This is just my point of view. Feel free to share yours

Some people enjoy that. It's personally not for me, so I don't do it. The people that do it now most likely enjoy that level of play and calling them names and mocking them is pretty useless. I wouldn't mind doing it for one tier just to experience it for myself, however. It seems like fun.