Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    I get that, once on farm, they usually just clear raids in 1 or 2 short nights. But still, I don´t even fathom the idea of spending 1 or 2 weeks playing 14 to 16 hours. I have a job, family, friends and life to live. I can´t bunker down that long for any 1 thing for so long.
    And they don't, as much as people like to pretend otherwise. It is perfectly reasonable to spend time like that as a student, as an adult there is no way you can manage that without your work or personal life suffering. It is fine with me, I prefer RL achievements, which is why LFR is a terrific design (see the content, be done with it).

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    My question is: How do these guys earn money? I can't imagine that the whole raid group of each guild is rich by default or having an income through twitch/youtube etc.
    I guess living of relatives is one way to do it.
    Last sentence nails it. Plus a lot of guilds are located in Europe, where education for most part is free so they do not have student loans. Most live also with their parents (as most students do in Europe).

14hours a day for 2 weeks. then 1night clears every week, for half a year? i could live with that.

the fact the play that much is simple. yet from what i remember doing back in vanilla durning naxxramas 40 man, we where doing naxx 7 nights aweek, did hakkar ony aq40 on sunday afternoon, and on saterday afternoon we did mc and bwl, and this was at a point that my guild was not even near the top 10 let alone top 50, i think we kill kel thuzad as 113 in the world of something

I don't think that Methods alt-raiding is as heavy as some of you claim. Sure we are talking about guys and girls that love the game and play more then most other players, but I took a look at some of their "famous" players and alts at wowprogress:
    Sco (GM) - one alt that have cleared ToT on normal (no hc)
    Treckie (tank) - one alt that have cleared ToT on normal (no hc)
    Sparkuggz (dps) - one alt with 6/12 normal no hc)
    Imsupersdw (dps) - one alt that have cleared ToT on normal (no hc)
    Rogerbrown (dps) - two alts that have cleared ToT on normal (no hc)
    Aladya (healer) - one alt that have cleared ToT on normal, one alt with 6/12 normal (no hc)

So yeah they play more then a lot of us and most of them have a good geared alt or two but I call bullshit on that "they have to raid 20 hours extra each week keep like 5 fully hc geared alts each". How long do you really think it takes for a guild of their level to clear 12/12 normal? Or even 13/13 heroic after a week weeks of gearing?
    Last edited by Ater; 2013-04-24 at 12:21 PM.
    What to do if you find out that your GM is playing his ally alt? GANK HIM!

I would do it but it would definitely require a certain type of job, no job, or being a student to pull off. I simply don't have that kind of vacation to burn, let alone talking my wife into it. I'm guessing its something that's a bit easier to pull off in the EU, because most Americans are simply required to work too many hours to be able to do it more than once maybe twice ( if you have like 4-5 weeks vacation) a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    As far as I can tell the time top guilds and a guild like mine put in to kill 13/13 is going to be somewhat close. We might kill things a month or more after them but they've still had the same ammount of total raiding hours.
    What seperates top 10 guilds from top 20/30 guilds is mostly just time.
    Sure, if you assume one hour spent for a world first guild is equivalent to an hour spent for anyone else.

In T11 my guild killed Ascendant Council in two nights of pulls, around 8 hours. It took some of the best guilds like 5 times that long to kill it. Does that mean we were 5 times as good? Or was it just way, way easier by the time we killed it since we had like 5 weeks more gear?

Obviously the latter. The content is way harder with less gear, thus it obviously takes far longer to kill in terms of hours for equally skilled players. Not to mention that the best guilds have to work out their own strat on a boss, which on some fights is the most difficult part, while other guilds do not. If you raid less and kill stuff later and spend the same number of hours as Method, that means Method played much better than your guild. Hardly surprising, given that they are the best (25 man) guild in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Voldur View Post
    I always wondered if these hardcore raiders realize its just a game that will dissapear in a couple of years. Working so hard for something no one but themselves will remember instead of sharing some time with their families, friends. To each its own i guess, but i hope they dont regret the time spent playing like this later.
    Maybe they aren't connected with their families very much. Let's not pretend we all come from a Brady Bunch family.

And who needs friends if they're going to be judgmental like you

I used to be one of those that raided constantly, meaning about 5 days a week on various toons. It was fun for a while but it is definitely a fast way to get burnt out on the game.

Its usually like raid as much as they can to get WF. When its done they go down to pretty much no raiding or as little as possible. In the end they raid less than casuals as they will kill stuff fast when they get it down once and get new gear.

O.O We're wiping 3 hours + 30 min tactics 2-4 times a week and we're progressing in heroics already, and at a very fast pace.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

I was in a 25m progression raiding guild during WotLK and Cata, before I stopped playing WoW. We use to raid 2 days a week, 4 hours each day, and still manage to clear all heroic raids. So if you have good players, it's possible to beat these bosses without doing so many hours of raiding like most other raiding guilds.

As for world-first guilds. It's been known for a long time, they raid almost non-stop until they get their first kill and then go back to a very relaxed 1-night per week schedule.

It's probably possible to raid 14-16 hours a week while having a normal 9am to 5am, 5 days a week job, assuming that you've got enough leave. For example, jobs in Australia have 4 weeks annual leave. You can probably scrape another 2 weeks from personal leave or purchased leave. That brings you up to 6 weeks of leave. And given that there's 2 or 3 raid tiers per year, that gives you 3 or 2 weeks to spend per tier, which should be enough.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2013-04-24 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ater View Post
    I don't think that Methods alt-raiding is as heavy as some of you claim. Sure we are talking about guys and girls that love the game and play more then most other players, but I took a look at some of their "famous" players and alts at wowprogress:
    Sco (GM) - one alt that have cleared ToT on normal (no hc)
    Treckie (tank) - one alt that have cleared ToT on normal (no hc)
    Sparkuggz (dps) - one alt with 6/12 normal no hc)
    Imsupersdw (dps) - one alt that have cleared ToT on normal (no hc)
    Rogerbrown (dps) - two alts that have cleared ToT on normal (no hc)
    Aladya (healer) - one alt that have cleared ToT on normal, one alt with 6/12 normal (no hc)

So yeah they play more then a lot of us and most of them have a good geared alt or two but I call bullshit on that "they have to raid 20 hours extra each week keep like 5 fully hc geared alts each". How long do you really think it takes for a guild of their level to clear 12/12 normal? Or even 13/13 heroic after a week weeks of gearing?
    Not counting multiple accounts... But still with only one alt, they can't clear ToT wihtin 4 hours total per week. And didn't I read about real money runs a few posts again? So please, stop using the phrase "in the end they raid less".

Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Such a bad way to spend their lives.
    I raided 4 x 4 hour and i think i was way too much.
    Method raiding: 14 hours per day for first two weeks until content is closed, then 6 hours per week to fast clear for next 4 months until next patch = 14hours*2weeks*7days + 6hours*4weeks (~4 weeks in one month)*4 months = 292 hours.
    Your raiding: 4x4 for the same time - 2 weeks and 4 months = 4*4*(2weeks+4weeks*4months) = 288 hours.
    288 ~= 292
    >> Such a bad way to spend their lives.
    Aye.
    But while Method enjoys World First kills and money from sponsors you still wipe on stupid heroics, wasting the same time. GJ.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    14hours a day for 2 weeks. then 1night clears every week, for half a year? i could live with that.
    Thats the point.

Do people purposefully ignore all the posts of how the world class guilds choose to schedule their time in game? I keep seeing these posts over and over where people assume that the WF guilds put in 12-14+ hours a day 365 days per year.

I guess I'll try to say it too: They raid that way during crunch mode when fighting for first kills, then they move down to a schedule where they raid less than Johnny Awesome in his noob guild who can't finish the current tier before the next one arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    Taking 2 weeks off from work isn't that big of deal. What else are you gonna use our vacation / sick days for?
    friends/family/actually being sick?
    i never take sick days because i have constitution of an ox, and even with all the sick days i have saved up i don't think i would have enough days saved up to take 2 weeks off every couple of months when a new tier comes out.

a lot of them are also students, and i mean a lot, i'm always astounded at how young many of them are. my guild is sort of where a lot of former high end raiders have put themselves out to pasture and most of us are in our 30s. most of us were students, either college or high school when we were hardcore raiders.

i'm fairly sure the average age of most people in WF guilds is in their early 20s.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    Actually they have less than everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop
    Taking 2 weeks off from work isn't that big of deal. What else are you gonna use our vacation / sick days for?
    lol.

You do realize you are saying that people that can afford 16H a day of raiding have "less than everyone else" ??

Dude, I'm "everyone else", and I can assure you my professional responsibilities don't allow me to skip even a day.
    And, as to dive you in real life, I have also responsibilities that can make me cancel holidays.

If they can afford this, either they are students OR have a job that can allow it (and so, your statement becomes wrong) OR this is their job OR complete nerds.

I'm very amused by people lying in the dark of reality.
    "You only have to do it for progression ho ho ho". In real life, this is not possible. But most of people in this thread don't know what "Real life" is.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    People can do whatever they want. It's their lives. If they want to play 16 hours a day, that's cool. I don't judge. Though sadly, that is what people do more than ever now. Besides, from what I understand, they're sponsored, so, well, that is pretty much their job. Even if they weren't, WoW is a hobby, and it's no different than say fishing or whatever your hobbies are. People that are insulting them, chances are if you talked about your hobbies and all that stuff, we could find something to bash you about. People need to realize that with 7 billion people in the world, everyone is different. As long as someone is happy doing what they love to do, just say, that's cool man, and move on.
    Lol this made me laugh. "I don't judge" literally followed up by judging. Reading the rest of your comment, it's obvious that your point isn't to bash hardcore gamers, but you unintentionally kind of did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    They get sponsorship for it, so why not its a job.
    Also, a lot of people here claiming that many top-end raiders are sponsored. This is almost always NOT the case. Professional gamers that ARE sponsored usually receive stuff like free keyboards, mice, monitors, etc. They (usually) DO NOT receive a salary.

The people who monetize their gaming hobby usually do it through streams and other side-projects that take additional time apart from gaming.

There was a documentary called, "Race to World First" a few weeks ago on the MMO-C homepage. It was pretty interesting and gave some insight on what WF guilds are really like.
    Last edited by pld; 2013-04-24 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    friends/family/actually being sick?
    i never take sick days because i have constitution of an ox, and even with all the sick days i have saved up i don't think i would have enough days saved up to take 2 weeks off every couple of months when a new tier comes out.

a lot of them are also students, and i mean a lot, i'm always astounded at how young many of them are. my guild is sort of where a lot of former high end raiders have put themselves out to pasture and most of us are in our 30s. most of us were students, either college or high school when we were hardcore raiders.

i'm fairly sure the average age of most people in WF guilds is in their early 20s.
    How people choose to spend days off work is up to the individual. What I'm opposed to is people being so judgemental of the raiders who go balls out for a two week period and then chills out for a couple of months. It truly is not a big deal to go crunchmode when it's just two weeks, really. Playing 14 hours a day 364 days a year is insane, playing 14 hours a day for 2 weeks is something I would consider perfectly fine and is something even I can do every once in a while when a new anticipated game is released and I get hooked for example. I'm not even competing for world firsts, I consider that kind of thing standard gamer behaviour to be honest.

As long as they can manage to put same dedication to their daily life when they don't raid ... they will do fine

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahalya View Post
    lol.

You do realize you are saying that people that can afford 16H a day of raiding have "less than everyone else" ??

Dude, I'm "everyone else", and I can assure you my professional responsibilities don't allow me to skip even a day.
    And, as to dive you in real life, I have also responsibilities that can make me cancel holidays.

If they can afford this, either they are students OR have a job that can allow it (and so, your statement becomes wrong) OR this is their job OR complete nerds.

I'm very amused by people lying in the dark of reality.
    "You only have to do it for progression ho ho ho". In real life, this is not possible. But most of people in this thread don't know what "Real life" is.
    Unless you're a doctor at a hospital who gets randomly called in at 2am in the morning, most people in normal jobs should have enough leave to schedule 2 weeks of non-stop raiding every raid tier.