Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
LastLast
  1. #201
    i would say get a life serious this aint even healthy who cares on world first when blizz pulls out the plug on wow it was all for nothing
    Same Shit Different Day

  2. #202
    My guild currently raids twice a week for three hours each day (Possibly a third if people get on).

    I'm not really concerned with how other guilds raid. If they choose to raid for x hours during progression, let them.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Unless you're a doctor at a hospital who gets randomly called in at 2am in the morning, most people in normal jobs should have enough leave to schedule 2 weeks of non-stop raiding every raid tier.
    Wow you really know little about so-called 'real life' if the only job that won't allow you take 2 weeks of a holiday every raid tier (which is every 4-5months) you can only think of doctors that wouldn't be able to make it... I don't know what country you live in, but it's actually harder to find a job that would allow you 2 weeks long on-demand vacation every 4 months than finding a job that doesn't.

    Not to mention other responsibilites average person has in their real life, kids, friends, girlfriends, wives.... you know, people who would care if I locked myself in the room for 2 weeks every now and then. Can't even imagine myself telling my girlfriend 'Sorry but I can't be disturbed for next 2 weeks because I'm gonna play the game! If she wanted to spontaneously go for a walk, watch a movie together, spend time with me, I just can't imagine telling her 'no' because of a progression raid!

    That's why I think hardcore raiders either a)don't have work and social life (including no girlfriend/wife) or b) don't sleep. Think variant a) is more realistic. I believe average hardcore raider is living on social welfare or lives with his parents. Of course Im aware that there are exceptions. Very few exeptions.

  4. #204
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    461
    Those people desperately need to get laid

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldarian View Post
    i would say get a life serious this aint even healthy who cares on world first when blizz pulls out the plug on wow it was all for nothing
    Except you know...being the best at something you enjoy.

    That's like saying, why even bother practicing and playing basketball? It's not like I'm going to make it to the NBA.

    I really don't understand all the hate. If someone were to practice a sport for 14 hours a day for two weeks before a championship game, how many people would give him crap about it? Probably not a whole lot. For the people who go for world firsts, they are literally the best (PvE) players in the world. Their "championship game" just happens to take a lot longer than a 2 hour sports match.

    It's obviously not a healthy (in any sense of the word) habit to play video games for 16 hours a day, but that can be said for almost anything. Exercise is good, but doing it for 16 hours a day is not. Sleep is necessary, but doing it for 16 hours a day is not. However, it's not uncommon for someone striving to be the best to take some extreme measures. Athletes push themselves to the limit and usually have to pay for it later down the road. Gamers push themselves by playing such extreme hours and usually are aware of the repercussions that follow as well. There's a reason why most professionals can only stay at the top for so long.

    So yes, 14-16 hour raid days are taxing. It's not good for your body, it'll severely limit your social life outside of WoW, and it causes mental burnout. However these are the risks and responsibilities that gamers must take on when striving to be WF quality. As long as they understand this and never put themselves or others in a dangerous situation (ex. health risks, personal responsibilities, etc.), it's what they want and we should respect that.
    _______

    EDIT: I'm not a hardcore raider and will most likely never be a part of the WF community. I raid about 9 hours a week (3 hrs over 3 days).
    I'm not personally offended by any of the hate, I just don't understand it.
    Last edited by pld; 2013-04-24 at 03:38 PM.

  6. #206
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    17,978
    Thing is: Let us say they raid 14-16 hrs every day and beat all bosses after 2 weeks.

    That makes about 200 hrs until they have cleared all hardmode bosses.

    Who of us can kill all HM bosses in that time? Even if raiding for 2 hrs a day means you can spend 100 days. Just asking because in debates about world firsts it is mentioned that the guilds competing there aren't necessarily skilled but just burn insane hrs.

    Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Those people desperately need to get laid
    Oh how I now wish I could find that post on this forum that went like "You won't believe the number of times I had to quickly blow my bf mid-raid so he let me continue to play in peace"

    Who says they don't get laid?
    Last edited by det; 2013-04-24 at 03:39 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  7. #207

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Wow you really know little about so-called 'real life' if the only job that won't allow you take 2 weeks of a holiday every raid tier (which is every 4-5months) you can only think of doctors that wouldn't be able to make it... I don't know what country you live in, but it's actually harder to find a job that would allow you 2 weeks long on-demand vacation every 4 months than finding a job that doesn't.

    Not to mention other responsibilites average person has in their real life, kids, friends, girlfriends, wives.... you know, people who would care if I locked myself in the room for 2 weeks every now and then. Can't even imagine myself telling my girlfriend 'Sorry but I can't be disturbed for next 2 weeks because I'm gonna play the game! If she wanted to spontaneously go for a walk, watch a movie together, spend time with me, I just can't imagine telling her 'no' because of a progression raid!

    That's why I think hardcore raiders either a)don't have work and social life (including no girlfriend/wife) or b) don't sleep. Think variant a) is more realistic. I believe average hardcore raider is living on social welfare or lives with his parents. Of course Im aware that there are exceptions. Very few exeptions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ave_by_country

    I'm from Australia, 4 weeks of annual leave minimum, which is 20 days. Looking at the list, 20 days seems like what most countries have. That doesn't include personal leave (i.e. for when you get sick, or have other personal matters). I see that the US has none.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Thing is: Let us say they raid 14-16 hrs every day and beat all bosses after 2 weeks.

    That makes about 200 hrs until they have cleared all hardmode bosses.

    Who of us can kill all HM bosses in that time? Even if raiding for 2 hrs a day means you can spend 100 days. Just asking because in debates about world firsts it is mentioned that the guilds competing there aren't necessarily skilled but just burn insane hrs.
    You are neglecting the fact that a good portion of that time is also spent developing the strategy that most of us will use. If they never shared their strategy and each guild had to develop their own from scratch, imagine how much longer it would take us.

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Thing is: Let us say they raid 14-16 hrs every day and beat all bosses after 2 weeks.

    That makes about 200 hrs until they have cleared all hardmode bosses.

    Who of us can kill all HM bosses in that time? Even if raiding for 2 hrs a day means you can spend 100 days. Just asking because in debates about world firsts it is mentioned that the guilds competing there aren't necessarily skilled but just burn insane hrs.



    Oh how I now wish I could find that post on this forum that went like "You won't believe the number of times I had to quickly blow my bf mid-raid so he let me continue to play in peace"

    Who says they don't get laid?
    200 hrs is the low end you've picked, it is 320hrs progression + farm raids for main and twinks + PTR.

    I easily clear the content with my top 100 guild in 3 months, which is 200 hrs worth of raiding in a 4hrs/4days per week setting, and we even take breaks during summer and exam phases.
    Most people do not realize the talent and skill it requires to be in a top guild. Many of you think its only about time invested, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    Hello, I posted this bullet point here with the interest of knowing how much time people spend on the game and particularly on raiding. I would like to hear others oppinions because, for a long time, I heard people say that high end raiders spends several hours a day during progression and then just slowed down during farm. Now, I never thought it was something in over 10 hours a day frame. But 14 - 16 hours game sessions? Damn.

    Regardless of the fact that they "slow down" after world 1st, how much is slow for a person raiding 14 hours a day?

    How much do you spend on raids and in the game for that matter? I, for one, raid 2 to 3 nights a weeks and spend between 2 - 3 hours of raid time each. Thats it, my guild isnt progression at all but I do enjoy what content we get to finish.

    I just say this because I honestly think... the ammount of time "high end raiders" spend on the game... sounds unhealthy.
    Of course, to us common mortals it sounds unhealthy. What's more, most people would mentally (and physically) not be able to keep up. I know I start breaking down when I raid 5 days a night 5 hours, that's really my max.

    But it's like every sport or hobby. The top people, top atheletes, top anything - how much time do you think they're putting in to it? It's 2013, we should stop looking down on "excessive" gaming like this. Their entire lives revolve around what these people do, be it football, folding airplanes or in this case raiding. It's their life and joy, I suppose.

  12. #212
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    So much jealously in this thread It's quite entertaining and the repulsive comments such as ''They need to get laid'' is even more funny.

  13. #213
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, Holland
    Posts
    331
    They go from 16 hours a day to 3 hours a week during farm. Mind you, Method cleared 11 bosses in 4 hours on heroic the second week of progress. They study or have jobs that allow them to put their work on holt for a week or 2.

    Jaleous? definately, I wish I could schedule my life as well as some of these people do

    Personally for me it's 3x 2.5 hours of raid per week, and besides that the I suppose normal hours of playing, besides 10 hours of teaching and on average 25 hours of uni.

  14. #214
    Stood in the Fire andraxion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Songtan, South Korea
    Posts
    392
    I raided 40+ hours a week at one point in my WoW career, on my main, between 10s and 25s. I wasn't a helmetkid. I held a good job, had good performance, had a pretty decent looking girlfriend and still had time to go out and hang out with friends. It all comes down to time management and prioritization.

    For those top guilds, you have to think about what they've done. They go all out until progression is over, then, before anyone else is on farm, they clear all bosses in probably 3-4 hours a week and that's it. They don't have to deal with wipes, learning fights, etc., They just go in, take loot, leave. Meanwhile, most guilds are still doing around 12 hours of progression/week for months and months past that.
    Mitigation WW/Brew|Monknasty Alt Monk (Horde)
    Server first (Possibly US/world first?) owner of a sweet Scepter of Azj'Aqir - Lightbringer (US) (December 9, 2010)
    Professor Oak [Modified] - Gilgamesh, World #2

  15. #215
    I think it's much more likely that if someone pushing for world firsts has to attend to a family emergency or just needs a bit of time sitting out on a boss, they have someone they can sub in that has been listening to the fights on Vent/Mumble or watching one of the raiders' private streams so when the new person steps in theyre pretty much up to speed already.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Unless you're a doctor at a hospital who gets randomly called in at 2am in the morning, most people in normal jobs should have enough leave to schedule 2 weeks of non-stop raiding every raid tier.
    That's where you are wrong. I'm working in computing for a national critical project as an architect. Of course, I have 2 weeks of holidays but there is a difference between having those days and CHOOSING them . When a raid starts for race, sometimes you are not allowed to take your holidays at this time.
    Plus, if I do take 2 weeks, but this is personal, my wife couldn't allow me to play non stop (which bring us back again to reality).

    There are many jobs like this, provided that you are working 40/45h a week (which is not rare).
    Last edited by Nahalya; 2013-04-24 at 04:18 PM.

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahalya View Post
    That's where you are wrong. I'm working in computing for a national critical project as an architect. Of course, I have 2 weeks of holidays but there is a difference between having those days and CHOOSING them . When a raid starts for race, sometimes you are not allowed to take your holidays at this time.
    Plus, if I do take 2 weeks, but this is personal, my wife couldn't allow me to play non stop (which bring us back again to reality).

    There are many jobs like this, provided that you are working 40/45h a week (which is not rare).
    Completetly agreed, no idea what world people live on if they realistcly believe, that average guy who lives average normal life, will be able to take holidays every time there is a progression raid schedule, leaving all the real life stuff hanging in the vacuum...

    And don't tell me its fine or normal because it's their hobby... Hobby is something you do in your free time, when you start planning your life around certain activity such as gaming, it stops being hobby and becomes a way of life.

    Of course everyone is free to choose how they want to live their lifes. And I'm free to have an opinion about it - that if computer game is a core of your life, then your life is shallow...

  18. #218
    The Lightbringer SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    3,053
    All i can say to people like those in Method is get a fucking life.

  19. #219
    Banned anaxie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    My Throne
    Posts
    6,432
    I wonder how many people commenting here have seen a full heroic cleared raid ID.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 05:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinachsandwich View Post
    All i can say to people like those in Method is get a fucking life.
    All I can say to people commenting on how other people enjoy spending their time is..... Get a life?

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 05:36 PM ----------

    Method
    H Jinrhok March 13th <<<<
    H Lei Shien March 25th <<<<<
    H Ra-den April 12th

    OH NO TWO WEEK RAID BINGE God forbid.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-04-24 at 05:41 PM.

  20. #220
    Such a waste of time...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •