Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

The seven major selling points of the next expansion

Bear with me on this, you know when the trailers comes out at Blizzcon and you see some text float over the new video showing some new content and the text lists the main selling point/features of the next expansion. Let's speculate on this but not blindly, although you may, but let's take Blizz's more openness of late and really think about this based on previous, could be fun.

I'm going with this:

*level to 95 in new zone. Going on last year and them quasi listening to everyone these days (when seemingly overwhelming point agreed upon), I do expect it to be TBC II/Outlands II
    *New player models and customisations
    *1 new profession and introduction of 3rd profession choice for all players
    *Massive sky graphics improvements.
    *Path of ancestry - go back and do old dungeons and raids and pay homage to your ancestry and build that side of your character, with challenge modes
    *Massive AH revamp
    *New stat - luck. Might be tied to new profession but not something you can gem or scroll.

Now this seems lackluster to me, I am firmly in the camp that expects this game to be growing and improving at a far greater rate than it is at present, in fact I find the game tediously stagnant at the moment and have cancelled but will probably come back if they make some major improvements and do not just make another token expansion like MOP, which was ok for a bit but largely boring - just my opinion folks, I did have some fun or else would not play. I do expect them to look into the whole alt aspect but what I am looking for is something revolutionary or something to close that social chasm they have made from LFR/LFG etc, which are good but destroy the whole raison d'etre and grounds from which the whole game has been born. *Dramatic Music*

What do you think they will promote for the next expansion?

would be worse then mop and cata combined

10+ Year Old Account
    blizzard are running out of fresh ideas. For the game makers that broke the mold, and gave us the standard of how mmos are meant to run, what they made as innovation has gotten very old, and anything new they try just doesn't come off new anymore. Also, the things that wow really could use on improvement, they seem incapable of making better.

Sounds harsh, but I think you can agree with most of it.
    #boycottchina

I feel that most ideas that they can think of right now will just be old ideas in a new packaging. It may feel new at the start, but then you realize you are doing the same thing you did the last expansion. And the ideas that are innovative goes so far away from the core of the game that they become optional and/or uninteresting.

New professions cannot possibly spice the game up.
    New zones and a new lvl cap cannot possibly spice the game up. It will just be more of the same, some variations in quest design etc.
    New player models will be received with joy.

I.E Nothing Blizz does can change the inherent problem that this game is 10 years old.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

if they put playable naga in the next expansion, it doesn't need 6 more selling points, I'm buying it NAO.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

a... luck stat? you mean crit? i think there's enough rng in this game. and i doubt they'd waste resources on the...sky...as a major selling point.
    edit: you said model race improvements, why did i not see it derp. But still, that doesn't sound like a major selling point, more like how when they updated the water in cata, just something that is a neat extra.

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    I feel that most ideas that they can think of right now will just be old ideas in a new packaging. It may feel new at the start, but then you realize you are doing the same thing you did the last expansion. And the ideas that are innovative goes so far away from the core of the game that they become optional and/or uninteresting.

New professions cannot possibly spice the game up.
    New zones and a new lvl cap cannot possibly spice the game up. It will just be more of the same, some variations in quest design etc.
    New player models will be received with joy.

I.E Nothing Blizz does can change the inherent problem that this game is 10 years old.
    An MMORPG is an MMORPG.
    You can dress it up any way you want, but at the core it's still going to be a bunch of people wandering around a place and killing or picking stuff up, and getting better skills and armor/armaments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    Bear with me on this, you know when the trailers comes out at Blizzcon and you see some text float over the new video showing some new content and the text lists the main selling point/features of the next expansion. Let's speculate on this but not blindly, although you may, but let's take Blizz's more openness of late and really think about this based on previous, could be fun.

I'm going with this:

*level to 95 in new zone. Going on last year and them quasi listening to everyone these days (when seemingly overwhelming point agreed upon), I do expect it to be TBC II/Outlands II
    *New player models and customisations
    *1 new profession and introduction of 3rd profession choice for all players
    *Massive sky graphics improvements.
    *Path of ancestry - go back and do old dungeons and raids and pay homage to your ancestry and build that side of your character, with challenge modes
    *Massive AH revamp
    *New stat - luck. Might be tied to new profession but not something you can gem or scroll.
    1. I do feel they will go for level 100 on there 10th anniversary for wow and we already know its going to be legion based but I don't think we will be going to there "home" world just yet. They have taken many many other worlds and I feel we will be heading to one of those. Something like taking down the Nathrezim on there home world. Charging headlong straight at the legion would just seem dumb if we didn't take down there allies first. The black prince has told us the its going to be based around the legion since the start of mop.

2. This is just a given. Blizz would be dumb not to use it as a selling point for something.

3. I don't think there will be a new profession, what more could they do? But having a 3rd choice would be welcome by alot of players and I can see alot coming back for that.

4. There will always be graphic buffs in every expansion.

5. From the hint that sounds like something they plan to do. Would be cool if zones and 5mans worked the same as gw2. As for raids I feel they should stay away from old raids unless they plan to make them lfr difficulty. Alot already have a hard time finding enough raiders to do the current normal raid let alone old ones. Would just be a waste of time. The raiding community is dieing so no point in giving them every raid to do even if they were to work like challenge modes.

5. Even blizzard agreed that needed to be done. But don't think it will be a selling point of an xpack. More a "will be released when its finished"

6. Sounds lame
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    An MMORPG is an MMORPG.
    You can dress it up any way you want, but at the core it's still going to be a bunch of people wandering around a place and killing or picking stuff up, and getting better skills and armor/armaments.
    Eve is an MMORPG. Eve is not played in this. Not every MMO has to be played that way.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    blizzard are running out of fresh ideas. For the game makers that broke the mold, and gave us the standard of how mmos are meant to run, what they made as innovation has gotten very old, and anything new they try just doesn't come off new anymore. Also, the things that wow really could use on improvement, they seem incapable of making better.

I don't really agree with much of any of it.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    Eve is an MMORPG. Eve is not played in this. Not every MMO has to be played that way.
    Eve is far from the standard MMO. Really quite a stupid comparison honestly. I wouldn't tell anyone that likes WoW or Everquest or Guild Wars or SWtoR to go play Eve. It's irrelevant in this discussion.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2013-04-23 at 10:46 PM.

blizzard are running out of fresh ideas. For the game makers that broke the mold
    Tweaking everquest into a more successful version based off their (blizzards) RTS series isn't exactly a moldbreaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted

WoW is an old game. So old that its roots are deep into the ground, you can't just change something like that easily. If they were to make major changes to the game they would lose a lot of loyal customers. WoW is a complete game that has been improved on over many years.

Don't expect major changes for WoW, it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    if they put playable naga in the next expansion, it doesn't need 6 more selling points, I'm buying it NAO.
    The only good thing about that would be that I would get to be Slurms MacKenzie.

10+ Year Old Account

Jaded much? I dont really agree with much of you said, I play WoW because I like the playstyle and the roots of it, If I wanted something completely new i'd play another game. When I log in to WoW I want to play this game not a whole different beast in terms of gameplay just because you seem a bit bitter. Added features? Sure, thats what an expaction does expand the game, not ''change it'' like you seem to describe. Completely changeing the basics and roots of the game would ultimately destroy the game, Why do you think so many people play this game huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow im really surprised by the responses. Wasn't there a point in the early 1910s saying that everything that can be invited has been invented? Some sure debbie-downers in here. I have high hopes for the new expansion as I always do. I like some of your predictions. Though I would hate if they introduced the "luck/mf" stat, blizz loves that RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking forward to the PvP not sucking as much, but only time will tell if we will ever have a truly great PvP game once again.

Everything else will be par for the course. Nothing super amazing, but not disappointing either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Jaded much? I dont really agree with much of you said, I play WoW because I like the playstyle and the roots of it, If I wanted something completely new i'd play another game. When I log in to WoW I want to play this game not a whole different beast in terms of gameplay just because you seem a bit bitter. Added features? Sure, thats what an expaction does expand the game, not ''change it'' like you seem to describe. Completely changeing the basics and roots of the game would ultimately destroy the game, Why do you think so many people play this game huh?
    yeah, see, you took what I said and blew it so far out of proportion.
    I'm saying, the fact that world of warcraft has been the mold setter of MMOs, and its done so much over its lifespan, there really isn't anything else groundbreaking it can do now.
    It can give us new zones, new battlegrounds and arena, new gimmicks, new armor, but it won't be groundbreaking stuff now. Even mists of pandaria felt like 'oh hey, new stuff, which is sort of the same but its new'.

Its like getting a new pair of shoes, its not really anything improved, there nice shoes, but thats all they are, shoes.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    1. I do feel they will go for level 100 on there 10th anniversary for wow and we already know its going to be legion based but I don't think we will be going to there "home" world just yet. They have taken many many other worlds and I feel we will be heading to one of those. Something like taking down the Nathrezim on there home world. Charging headlong straight at the legion would just seem dumb if we didn't take down there allies first. The black prince has told us the its going to be based around the legion since the start of mop.
    I don't understand why people think we can't handle an assault on Argus.
    People seem to think that the entire might of the burning legion just hangs out on Argus standing around doing nothing. Remember that the legion is an invasion force, they have forces and resources deployed on hundreds, maybe thousands of worlds fighting to take them over. In comparison the amount of legion forces actually stationed on Argus is probably relatively slim.

Also consider that time and time again, Azeroth has crushed the legion offensive. We had night elves, dragons, and ancients counter a full-on assault, we had humans and their allies repel a secondary orc invasion from a legion held world. We had a Demon Hunter, a faction of Blood Elves, and the converted remains of the Night Elven Highborn lead an assault on that legion held world, take it, and defeat the legion there so much that the demons themselves started to convert to the Illidari forces. We've had a single empowered human mage face down the avatar of Sargeras, had a band of Horde/Alliance heroes and a blue dragon push Kil'jaeden back through a portal, had a few heroes and a bunch of wisps destroy Archimonde, and have the third Eredar leader fighting at our side.

We've done nothing but grow stronger, our weapons have grown more powerful, we've mastered the plague, perfected the arcane bomb, utilized Titan technology, consolidated the dragon flights to our cause, harnessed the powers of the old gods. And gained all sorts of extremely powerful allies in the process.

Azeroth kicks ass.

Do you really think the allied Alliance/Horde offensive backed by the dragon flights, and Naaru couldn't lead a successful assault on Argus?

3. I don't think there will be a new profession, what more could they do? But having a 3rd choice would be welcome by alot of players and I can see alot coming back for that.

5. From the hint that sounds like something they plan to do. Would be cool if zones and 5mans worked the same as gw2. As for raids I feel they should stay away from old raids unless they plan to make them lfr difficulty. Alot already have a hard time finding enough raiders to do the current normal raid let alone old ones. Would just be a waste of time. The raiding community is dieing so no point in giving them every raid to do even if they were to work like challenge modes.
    There's still the possibility of something like woodcutting and it's companion crafting profession. Who knows.

I know a lot of people dismiss this possibility, but I really wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard released a set of Vanilla/BC servers (two or three of each). It is something that a large number of players constantly ask for, and has a large chance of attracting back a decent number of old players who complain that they left because of changes in the game.

It really wouldn't be hard for Blizzard to setup six new servers, put the oldest builds of the two games on the servers (1.11 and 2.4) and then give anyone who has an account with the battlechest or better the ability to download the 1.11 and 2.4 client from Battle.net.

Presto, easily create several new very popular servers that have a high chance of getting players who quit to re-sub, and Blizzard doesn't have to spend any dev time designing dungeons/models/quests/items, etc, for it to be implemented. Put a few devs (the Wow team is massive) in charge of maintaining the servers, fixing bugs, balancing things that were still imbalanced in 1.11 and 2.4 (Like adjusting numbers on class abilities rather than altering the abilities) and you're good to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that this expansion will be released during the 10th anniversary of the game, those selling points are pretty lackluster.

I'm expecting Blizzard to go all out.

-New models that allow us to have tattoos and be sub races.
    -New class
    -New continent
    -2 new professions
    -New game feature that will redefine how we play WoW.
    -Improved talent system
    -4th specs for each class
    -New mounts
    -Being able to play old raids with revamped graphics and heightened difficulty

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting for WoWs 10th birthday.

I don't think the new expansion will offer anything particularly fresh, other than more content. And neither do I think that it has some obligation to. Frankly I don't understand where the expactation for fresh concepts all of the time comes from. Other than all-consuming greed, that leads players to burn through content as fast as possible or play games to the ground as if they have nothing else to do in their free time, and then complain that there is nothing to do, that is.

World of WarCraft is a role-playing game. Role-playing games have advanced quite a lot since their inception, but that was mostly through evolution, not revolutionary concepts. Just like most of the other genres of gaming. So while there will most probably be some changes and additions to the game implemented with the next expansion, they don't have to be revolutionary. Just as long as the game is fun to play, when someone plays it the proper way, not burn through it or play nothing but it for seemingly countless hours, I see no reason why there has to be something groundbreaking.

Personally I would be satisfied with, finally!, new character models, with lots and lots of options. And a better treatment of the questing/exploring and dungeon-running aspects of the game.

Questing has taken a huge blow in the game, ever since Crusade. All those available racial campaigns, along with the small campaigns of third-party factions, and questing in zones that no campaign led you to, that made vanilla questing so diverse, has evaporated, and in its place we got two main campaigns. It's as if the developers had a wager about how lame they could make questing. I would welcome something like two-to-three campaigns for each faction, as well as a few neutral-to-campaigns zones with delight. Also for the different classes to at times have different routes through questing. After all it is hardly believable that a rogue would do the exact same things as a paladin for example.

Exploration also could use in upgrade. In Mists there was a very good effort to increase the amount of content for explorers, but the format in which that was done is quite dissapointing. I mean, I love all the little (and big) nuggets here and there -Relic Hunter was quite nice- but most are not actually about exploring really, but about being lucky. I am supposed to stumble upon a nicely hidden in some bushes weapon if I go about exploring an area bit by bit, not if I am lucky enough so that when I go by it is still there and nobody else has already snatched it. The same goes for the rare mobs, and the tenths of times I had to kill some to get a cool item that they drop. There should be more enviromental challenge, areas that are difficult to go through, whether on the ground on in the air, the inclusion of some difficult climbing bits, beasts that have to be treated a certain way to survive an encounter with them, all in all more enviromental puzzles and less lucky moments.

And as far as dungeon-running, to finally offer some variety. What is wrong with the people that they can't offer variety but just have to focus on one type of dungeon each time, thus satisfying some players while displeasing all the others is beyond me. Have some short and zergable dungeons for easy points and laughs. And also include some huge, complex, dungeons, with scaling difficulty as you progress (similar to Blackrock Depths for example), that take quite some time to finish and require good cooperation and individual skill, that offer somewhat more points and better gear as well as recipes for crafting. That way both the zergers/point collectors and the players that don't care much about raiding but do like running dungeons that are somewhat hard and not push-overs, will have things to do.

In general I would be satisfied if they could finally produce a good amount of content for all the different ways players like to spend their time in the game and not just focus on raiding and arena for once, so that all those players that like their role-playing game sessions to have something other than instanced repeated content can finally be happy and not play off of scraps.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-04-23 at 11:32 PM.