10+ Year Old Account

Strength Effects Blood Shield?

I have two rings, a crappy green ring and a 489 agi ring that has alot more stam and mastery on it than the green. Noone needed the agi ring, so I took it and decided to use it since the gained mastery and stamina seemed better than additional strength. This is my alt, btw, so I havn't kept up with it much.

Just got out of an LFR after being yelled at for having the ring; people were saying even a green str ring would be better. Is that true? I don't mind being wrong, but I don't recall strength having anything to do with the blood shield, just mastery and how much damage you have sustained.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

It'd pretty much just help with threat, I think. Probably not that big a deal, but I daresay mastery would be more important than strength, at LEAST in regards to a single ring.

I'd still replace it when you get the chance with any strength ring around that ilevel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorticough View Post
    Well strength increases attack power, which in turn increases Blood Shield.
    WRONG.

Blood shield has nothing to do with AP...
    The bloodshield calculates from different sources: Damage intake in the last 5 seconds, Maxlife, Scent of Blood stacks and your mastery.

If you have taken more than 35% of your maxlife during the last seconds, the healing from death strike is calculated:
    damage taken last 5 seconds * 0.2, increased by 20% for every scent of blood stack

eg: 100HP, 50dmg taken during the last 5 seconds, 1 SoB stack: 50*0.2 = 10, increased by 20% = 12 HP healed

If you have taken less than 35% of your maxlife during the last 5 seconds, your death strike heal is calculated:
    0.07 * maxlife, increased by 20% for every Scent of blood stack

eg; 100HP, 2 SoB stacks: 100*0.07 = 7, 7 * 1.4 = 9.8 HP healed

The Blood shield now calculates as follows:

Heal from Death Strike * Mastery%

eg: 10 HP healed, 110% Mastery => 10*1.1 = 11 HP absorbshield
    10 HP healed, 50% Mastery = 10*0.5 = 5 HP absorbshield
    ¨
    APs DO NOT CHANGE YOUR BLOOD SHIELD OR DEATH STRIKE HEAL.

EDIT: You are perfectly fine from the survival side with the agi ring, but STR increases your dps by a far bigger margin.
    And nicely edited, Vorticough...
    What doesn't kill me gives me Vengeance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...psody/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by rhapso View Post
    WRONG.

Blood shield has nothing to do with AP...
    The bloodshield calculates from different sources: Damage intake in the last 5 seconds, Maxlife, Scent of Blood stacks and your mastery.

If you have taken more than 35% of your maxlife during the last seconds, the healing from death strike is calculated:
    damage taken last 5 seconds * 0.2, increased by 20% for every scent of blood stack

eg: 100HP, 50dmg taken during the last 5 seconds, 1 SoB stack: 50*0.2 = 10, increased by 20% = 12 HP healed

If you have taken less than 35% of your maxlife during the last 5 seconds, your death strike heal is calculated:
    0.07 * maxlife, increased by 20% for every Scent of blood stack

eg; 100HP, 2 SoB stacks: 100*0.07 = 7, 7 * 1.4 = 9.8 HP healed

The Blood shield now calculates as follows:

Heal from Death Strike * Mastery%

eg: 10 HP healed, 110% Mastery => 10*1.1 = 11 HP absorbshield
    10 HP healed, 50% Mastery = 10*0.5 = 5 HP absorbshield
    ¨
    APs DO NOT CHANGE YOUR BLOOD SHIELD OR DEATH STRIKE HEAL.
    Yeah, dude, I noticed that right after I said it. No need for the night of 500 caps.
    Last edited by Vorticough; 2013-04-23 at 10:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks. I knew I wasn't an idiot.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    Thanks. I knew I wasn't an idiot.
    Welcome to LFR raiding.

Strength gives Parry, ratio was 1:0.8 Str:Parry I believe, so you lose some parry

10+ Year Old Account
    1:0.97, so roughly equal.

1 STR = 0.97 Parry

Deleted
    AGI also doesn't give anything to STR tanks ever since they removed the dodge conversion for STR tanks. actually, it gives a VERY minute amount of melee crit, but none of the tanks actually earns something for survival from that.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a dps standpoint it's a crap ring, from the survivalside its a good upgrade - in the end for that content that you are currently running, this ring is perfectly fine - just replace it as soon as you get a good upgrade (eg. Rep ring from Shado-Pan Assault)

Deleted
    there's also a 496 ring from the 5.2 dailies for a minor valor amount that is pretty well itemized: parry/mastery.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=97196

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post
    there's also a 496 ring from the 5.2 dailies for a minor valor amount that is pretty well itemized: parry/mastery.

Not really a minor amount as it takes an entire week's worth of valor, but yeah that's as close to good itemization as you're going to get. Will probably last a good while considering none of the ToT rings seems to have mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post

Requires Exalted Rep though, I will never do dailies on my alts so kind of useless for people like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Requires Exalted Rep though, I will never do dailies on my alts so kind of useless for people like me.
    It's a reasonable post about an upgrade that anyone who cared to gear their toon up could accomplish.

It is actually a very fast rep grind and running at least a few dailies for mogu runes of fate is something you should be doing anyway if you are serious about gearing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    If you pick a faction you actually can use the gear from, and do it exclusively it isn't too bad. Moreso once the requirements for the post-golden lotus reps get dropped next patch.