Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't think that the random episodes I happened to watch (and that my fangirl friend recommended) just happened to be one offs.

But whatever, you guys like your stuff, I like mine. I think it's fine if you like the show, but when you have real "complex interwoven storyline" shows out there, I don't think it's fair to include this in that criteria. It's light entertainment, a mindless 15 minutes; just admit that it is what it is.
    if she recommended the gladiator episode i dont know why shes watching it, its an okay episode but its far from even being close to some of the really good episodes and i wont "admit it is what it is" because it isnt, ive seen every episode of adventure time and i watch ALOT of television and the only show that can compare to the sheer size and scope of its world and histories is doctor who
    Last edited by Immitis; 2013-04-24 at 01:27 AM.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

TV has never been in the worse spot than ever. Ruled by constant stream of reality shows of the most mundane kind and dedicated channels reduced to ashes in pursuit for the dollar that is bigger.

There are however, always exceptions to the rule and lately those few exceptions have been extremely high quality.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    TV has never been in the worse spot than ever. Ruled by constant stream of reality shows of the most mundane kind and dedicated channels reduced to ashes in pursuit for the dollar that is bigger.

There are however, always exceptions to the rule and lately those few exceptions have been extremely high quality.
    i dont really get the whole "reality shows are taking over" thing, as long as i stay away from mtv and its related channels and whatever the channel is called that has those "real housewives" shows i hardly ever see any of it even in commercials. maybe its because i never watch live tv
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    What came on this year that I actually watch, The Americans, and Rectify, and Arrow. What ended this season or ended last season, Sparatcus, Chuck, Fringe. On that basis Id say its worse.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I still don't watch a hell of a lot of TV shows, but I would say there are some good ones that if you can't find at least a couple shows to suit your taste, you just don't like TV to begin with. Most of them are reality crap or just overdone, IMO. Still there are enough that I enjoy, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad would probably top the list for shows that are still on-going that hold my interest. In terms of my own interests, I would say that yes, TV is better than it has been in recent years.

I haven't actually heard of most of those. Except Regular Show, I hear about that one a lot but have put off finding it.

What's annoying is when a channel has a bunch of mediocre shows and one gem (like Gravity Falls), that it's so much more practical to just look it up on the internet than actually watch TV.

My list is mainly Adventure Time, Dan Vs., Gravity Falls, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Not a huge fan of live action, I prefer cartoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Fringe is off the air and american idol is still on, that was enough for me to cancel my cable. Adventure time is awesome though!

Yes! it's been a good couple of years in american TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most TV shows are junk. Very few are worth the time, and tend to get buried by the complete CRAP that seems to keep on going for years and years.

#FlightIsImportant

My age is showing when I haven't heard of those shows and only watch tv, specifically fox 8 for animation domination and comedy for American dad/south park/aqua teen hunger force and metalocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    it feels like only last year where my dvr would usually only record 1 to 3 hours a day except on certain nights (usually tuesdays, saturdays and sundays depending on the time of the year) but this year almost everyday ive been recording 6 to 9 hours everyday and it seems like tv has really stepped its game up.

just to name a few recent ones, bates motel, orphan black, duck dynasty, defiance, copper, the americans, grimm, once upon a time, vikings, out there, revolution, the marvel universe block on xd, gravity falls, the new toonami, ninja turtles and arrow ect ect.

and of course shows that have been on for awhile already doctor who, adventure time, regular show, walking dead, game of thrones.
    It kinda saddens me to see someone discussing "good" TV shows, not mentioning Justified or Sons of Anarchy, but including fucking DUCK DYNASTY of all things. Oh well, to each their own, I guess.

I suppose some shows might be getting better, but from what I can tell 90% of shows now are about random stuff like... owning a pawnshop or how fast can you wreck a house ect, and they can make 100's of episodes based on this one thing that gets boring after 2 minutes. If that's not enough, they tend to show the same thing 10 times before moving on to the next part in case you didn't get it the first time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Remember when animal planet used to have informative shows about exotic animals?
    Fun fact. "Aspect of the Cheetah" for hunters makes you run faster. "Aspect of the Pack" is just Cheetah for the group.

And yet... a group of cheetahs, is not a pack. It's a Coalition. A "Pack" is pretty much just wolves.

Also, a group of cats is sometimes called a Clowder, and a group of goats is a Trip.

So if you ever take a drug with a group of goats, its called a Goat Trip.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    it feels like only last year where my dvr would usually only record 1 to 3 hours a day except on certain nights (usually tuesdays, saturdays and sundays depending on the time of the year) but this year almost everyday ive been recording 6 to 9 hours everyday and it seems like tv has really stepped its game up.

just to name a few recent ones, bates motel, orphan black, duck dynasty, defiance, copper, the americans, grimm, once upon a time, vikings, out there, revolution, the marvel universe block on xd, gravity falls, the new toonami, ninja turtles and arrow ect ect.

and of course shows that have been on for awhile already doctor who, adventure time, regular show, walking dead, game of thrones.

maybe networks woke up and realized that with dvrs we can choose to only watch our favorites and nolonger have to worry about "eh nothing else is on so ill watch this" or maybe the fact that the internet has gotten more popular and some people can get along fine without tv, or who knows what but it seems as though all of a sudden alot of tv has gotten up and was like "NO MOAR BULLSHITS WE GONNA BE AWESOMES" of course some channels havent made any improvement like mtv or disney channel but so far most channels have improved significantly almost to the point a new show comes out and im slightly hoping its awful so i can save some space on my dvr and i often find myself having to reschedule things and record the late night repeats because theres just so much every night that i cant record the premier slot.

whats your opinions on it? also name any shows not mentioned here or just any shows you enjoy to spread all the goodness O-O
    And I only like GoT from your list. Tastes differ.
    All the good series have ended by now.

Also, I don't watch TV either, downloading is the only way I'm gonna see them for at least a few years.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Fun fact. "Aspect of the Cheetah" for hunters makes you run faster. "Aspect of the Pack" is just Cheetah for the group.

And yet... a group of cheetahs, is not a pack. It's a Coalition. A "Pack" is pretty much just wolves.

Also, a group of cats is sometimes called a Clowder, and a group of goats is a Trip.

So if you ever take a drug with a group of goats, its called a Goat Trip.
    Wouldn't it be called a Trip Trip?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    TV has always been hit and miss. But the saddest thing about TV is no matter how great a show is, if they don't pull the plug when it's on a high then it will deteriorate into rubbish, many great shows were ruined by network greed. Other shows, mainly UK ones (rare to find decent UK shows though) usually end after like 2 series and it leaves the audience wanting more not wanting it to end.

Take Firefly for example, it still has a pretty large cult following and those people treasure every single episode. A show like X-Files however, would not surprise me if people skip episodes when watching their boxsets.

Then you have the horrible "rip-off" shows, mainly crime dramas. Eugh.

i dont really get the whole "reality shows are taking over" thing, as long as i stay away from mtv and its related channels and whatever the channel is called that has those "real housewives" shows i hardly ever see any of it even in commercials. maybe its because i never watch live tv
    I bolded the relevant part of your reply.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I stopped watching TV about 6 years ago so I have no idea really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont really watch much TV anymore to be honest. Everything I watch now is online, TV has just become background noise or is never on... kinda sad but thats how I have adapted :P

I didnt even know about the Boston bombings until a day later when I dad asked if I saw the news and I was like "You know I don't watch TV anymore" :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    There are only three shows on your list that interest me, and they're all in the second group.

And man, I don't mean to be rude, but you have cartoons on there, cartoons like Adventure Time. It just makes me think it doesn't take much to impress you, because Adventure Time is so over-the-top ridiculous it's just not entertaining anymore. And yes, I have seen a few episodes, because sadly I have teenage girl friends who said it was a great show, but the storylines are simplistic and one-dimensional (which really is not unexpected of if, it's meant for kids). I don't see how that entertains older people.
    That's all subjective, I think it's a good show because it is so ridiculous. The simplicity of it is pretty great. There's nothing narrow-minded about liking a show, it's completely subjective, and what's narrow-minded is to think that people are stupid judging from what show they enjoy.

I agree with the thread on the cartoon front, the fact that there has actually popped up some good cartoons is miraculous, we saw next to no good cartoons from 2002 until 2008, and as much as people might not like it, it's part of TV.