Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The guy who said parenting doesn't end at a certain number is right, similarly preparing a child to be self sufficient is an obligation that has no specific time frame. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that, so quit assuming everyone should have the same skillsets you do. That's a general statement defending everyone, the OP seems to have a level head and his shit together. He's just venting/looking for input.

Your parents must hate most of the posters in the thread a lot.... wth

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, don't blame your parents. This is your life, and things (good or bad) will be thrown at you. You can choose to complain about them and do nothing and end up a failure and miserable... Or you can choose to work with what you have and make the best of it.

That being said, look at what options you do have available. With a low paying job and trying to be a student, you can apply for grants to help you through school. You can find a roommate (or multiple roommates) to help reduce the cost of living. Talk to the people you know and try to find some help in this regard. Also make sure you file your taxes, AND write "Please verify" on them - With a minimum wage job and being a student, you should be able to get a lot of money back. Try to reduce your spending. If you don't NEED it to live, don't buy it. You'll have to go without some comforts for a few years.

Oh, and one more big thing... Try to find a job within walking/biking distance, and then sell your car. You can save a ton of money (and commute time!) just by not constantly buying gas and paying for insurance and any other maintenance or repairs that are needed.

Deleted
    ur dad's a fool and ur parents are mean, good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    Join the military. Try to get into an IT related field. Get paid to learn cyber security and get the certifications. Leave the military after a given amount of time. Earn a good living with your training as a government contractor.
    I know a dude who did this. Specialized in cryptography. He's younger than me making more than me. His job sounds like a bore but hey, he gets about $150k/year.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Those are the brakes sometimes. My best friend messed around a bit when he was younger and didn't head back to school till he was 23; at that time, he was working a full time job while doing his best to pull a 4.0 at a community college to get into a real school. Four years later, he's getting married, has a good job lined up after spring graduation, and things are good. The point? Work hard and things tend to turn out fine after a few years.

---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 09:56 AM ----------

Indeed, the "don't get any loans" mentality is a spectacularly stupid view. It's only a good plan for people who are completely incapable of basic planning.
    Which is especially impressive given that the banks tell you exactly how much you need to pay every month and will even provide the amortization table(s) upon request.

Here's my story which may or may not help. Growing up my dad opening a bank account for me and put some money aside for me which he paid into as well as Grandparents ($2000-$3000) which grew overtime especially with summer jobs. Even when I was growing up I didn't go out and spend a lot of money like some kids today who throw a lot of money towards games, movies, and music. The point of all that is when I was 18 I had a nice comfortable level of money.

After High School the deal with my parents was I paid half and they paid half which helped greatly. Once I was done school I lived with them a year to bring my money totals back up a bit and then I bought a house as the mortgage payment on a per week basis was lower than renting. I pretty much only had $500 to my name after that but slowly and surely worked my way back up again.

If I was in your position is go beyond your parents to maybe an Uncle or Grandparent or a Friend who would let you stay. Maybe give them some money for bills and food. It sounds like you don't have a lot of money right now but you may want to talk to your bank to see if a mortgage and house is even possible. Try to find a higher paying job or get a second job. The name of the game is to keep costs low and maximize the money coming in until can get on your feet fully.

Good luck.

I can't believe how deluded some of you people are. You don't really think, as a parent, you'd throw your children out of the house at a certain age? Fuck I wouldn't even make my son pay rent once he gets "old enough". There's still more to the situation than "Grow up" or "get your shit together". It's really fucked up that his parents are like this and my heart goes out to him. As far as everything else, GL to ya, hope you find the path you need to survive. To everyone else here, he should definitely write his parents off and never speak to them again. Regardless of him being "old enough to be on his own" or "has been raised by them for 18 years" I wouldn't even expect a LANDLORD to treat one of their tenants this way, it has lawsuit written all over it. (He pays his parents rent, remember?)