Thread: WOW vs. STWOR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    only good thing about SWTOR is that you can play it as single player up to max level xD its just inferior in every aspect.

PvP in wow is far from the greatest, but its millions years ahead of other mmos.

Deleted
    WoW is sadly the superior of the two regarding pvp.

That goes for pretty much every MMO out there as i have tried them all carefully trying to find something that beats wow-pvp.

Wow is the best mmo for pvp at the moment and as others have stated, that will tell you pretty much about the state of other mmos pvp.

I'll never understand why everyone loved Huttball so much. The idea was great, but the execution was awful. The abuse of Z-axis and hazards were ridiculous. If you played a melee without a leap, you'd constantly be knocked off to lower levels, effectively taking you out of the fight for 20+ seconds. And God forbid there was a Pyrotech or Assassin on the other team in tank spec that would spend the entire game waiting by their goal, standing in front of a fire pit, and the second your team got close with the ball they'd grip you into the fire and stun you. Huttball is easily one of the most frustrating PvP experiences I've ever had - it took too much out of the hands of skill and put it into gamey mechanics.

From my experiences (Played SWToR from Dec '11 to March '12, Don't know the patches offhand only the dates), ToR's PvP was more enjoyable since you were able to charge up and down on a z axis as well as leveling up in PvP being farm more enjoyable than WoW's pvp leveling experience. The variety in the PvP maps was also refeshing, Void Star(?) was like SotA, but with no vehicles. Huttball was horribly broken, it largely came down to how many Consular/Inquisitors you had over your opponent since knockbacks were absurdly good, yet incredibly fun in a balanced setup. Alderaan was just like Battle for Gilneas (3 Bases) but a good map. Never played the new ones, since I'd stopped playing by then.

I also liked the Resolve system, it was nice not being locked out of playing for so long every engagement. It was also something alot of WoW'ers couldn't grasp and hated I found, since they would trinket the first stun/incapacitate for 4s, get hit by another 2s incapacitate (Assassin/Shadow were rogue-esque) and then hut by a full stun with a full resolve bar with no way to get out. Once you figured out that you trinketed CC when your resolve was full, you just ended up wrecking people since they'd have blown all their CC trying to setup a kill, then had to run or try and survive while you're unstoppable.

PvP was definitely clunky though, it wasn't anywhere near as responsive as WoW's engine is. The engine couldn't handle more than 20 people on screen at a time either (Hero Engine, I think it was), so big 100 vs 100 team fights in Ilum were impossible to play for Melee and a pain for Ranged. I played a Jedi Sentinel as Focus when it was like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2U6S2EJ1Zw and later Watchman where I was able to take on 5 people at a base and survive long enough for either support to arrive or my team to take the remaining bases. I know both specs have been nerfed since, and the game was so incredibly imbalanced but it was fun. Even if you were playing an underpowered spec, you could still have a good laugh beating out people who didn't know what to do.

Huttball was challenging, fun, and irritating all at the same time.

PvP in SWTOR is far superior than WoW, it is more enjoyable and much more balanced than WoW will ever be, its just done much better in ToR.

I think WoW's system is better for arena style play where you are just trying to kill your opponents. It's skill cap is higher and a lot of verbal communication is required to track diminishing returns and cooldowns.

However, I think SWTOR's system is better for battlegrounds. In SWTOR, you get rewarded a lot more for accomplishing objectives rather than just killing people. It's also refreshing that no mounts are allowed in SWTOR's warzones so things aren't so spread out which tends to lead to more action.

I also liked in SWTOR that most specs were playable with maybe 40 keybinds whereas I have characters in WoW that require over 80. Having 80 keybinds isn't terrible in itself. However, do classes really need 2-8 offensive cooldowns and 2-6 defensive cooldowns, most of which are stackable, and a bunch of other abilities that do basically the same thing?

@OP - Do not believe the people bashing SWTOR PvP. These are mostly players that have not played in months let alone the lastest changes with 2.0.

SWTOR PvP right now is pretty damned good with classes being the most balanced they have ever been. I'll admit that the PvP in SWTOR hasn't changed all that much but the changes that have been made are for the most part all in the right direction. There are a couple things that I like about TOR PvP as compared to WoW PvP. First thing is the inclusion of tank viability. Tanks have a nice role in preventing damage to other players and take it themselves. They also have the ability to taunt which lowers damage of the taunted player if they are not targeting yourself. A dynamic that is for the most part non-existent in WoW. Another thing is warzone commendations are not relegated to just kills and damage, you have commendations for healing and objective points added as well.

WoW PvP I am completely disgusted with. I even created a thread about on here if you care to search and read that. WoW PvP is be rift with instant CC and AOE CC like none other. Previously in Cataclysm I would have agreed that SWTOR had more CC than WoW. But not in MoP WoW by far outstrips SWTOR CC by at least 2 fold. Things have gotten so bad that I refuse to play WoW pile of crap that is PvP.

In the end these are just opinions and with SWTOR being F2P there is absolutely no reason you could not try it out for yourself and see if you like it. It doesn't take long to get to level 10 to queue for your first warzone. You won't have all your abilities but you can at least see how the warzones are and what they are about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    PvP in SWTOR is far superior than WoW, it is more enjoyable and much more balanced than WoW will ever be, its just done much better in ToR.
    ^ This is how I feel as well. I played SWTOR for a period of time with my mind set on PvE and it turned out I loved the PvP system so much it was pretty much my focus. It feels very balanced and was extremely fun. If they made things differently with SWTOR when it came out and actually managed to keep a good standard of the game etc and keep a good portion of population, I suspect I would have stayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the warzones themselves more. WoW zones are really hit or miss. I hate the wrath and Mop BGs. Shrine is nowhere as good as huttball.

I also liked the medals and points in SWTOR.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are bad for PVP!

Quote Originally Posted by Eponzled View Post
    Huttball was challenging, fun, and irritating all at the same time.

I watched this video and you know what I see? I see very few stuns, mezzes, and of course no fears. Sure you got knocked back a good number of times but I think most people would prefer a simple knockback as compared to fears, stuns, and mezzes.

I see you running around in the mix of things without worrying about getting an AoE fear or AoE stun.

I see you are basically getting the opportunity to actually play and participate.

WoW ... f'in forget it. You can get CC'ed without being targeted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    I watched this video and you know what I see? I see very few stuns, mezzes, and of course no fears. Sure you got knocked back a good number of times but I think most people would prefer a simple knockback as compared to fears, stuns, and mezzes.

I see you running around in the mix of things without worrying about getting an AoE fear or AoE stun.

I see you are basically getting the opportunity to actually play and participate.

WoW ... f'in forget it. You can get CC'ed without being targeted.
    And the fun part is also when you need to watch out for your surroundings a bit, I loved Huttball!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    I played whole first season at top rating I must say it's terrible. Rating system is completely terrible, like everyone gets the same rating calculated by average of your group. So when 9 of us started, and got 2k, and than one guy joined us he didn't even get to 1.8k when some of us were 2.4k, besides no rewards for rating.
    Insane amount of grind at the time, for several pieces of the same gear so you could replace the best mods. Every best team had more or less the same setup, you had to have vengeance juggernat hybrid for ball carrying and guarding the healers, tank assassin in dps gear of defending of bases, gates, and guarding as well marauder for speed and damage boost, or two for that matter. Pyrotech Powertech did just the best damage, only possible to overcome by Rage warriors on aoe maps. Powertech also grip as assassin, for huttball ballcarrier killing. And the best healer for first season was just two operatives, end of story. Only really exceptional players of other advanced classes would get in the team, eventually other classes became viable, but the rated warzones were just too repetitive, with 0 reward, even you couldnt get rating when you started later, and with insane gear grind, well what can you not love. Also often dcs from rated warzones, unable to come back, often resulting in only looses we ever had. Whats not to love.

For casual pvpers its good, but hardcore people will eventually get bored. The most competitive guilds left the swtor, and there was nothing to do anymore, so our guild basically died out as well. Some came back for a while, only to leave again few weeks later. Balance changed later on of course, but I wouldn't think it was that much better than before.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had the most fun in the lower level brackets of Swtor pvp, gear wasn't a HUGE deal and the ability bloat was yet to set in. Huttball was crazy fun as a Vanguard or w/e.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by koaxialus View Post
    I played whole first season at top rating I must say it's terrible. Rating system is completely terrible, like everyone gets the same rating calculated by average of your group. So when 9 of us started, and got 2k, and than one guy joined us he didn't even get to 1.8k when some of us were 2.4k, besides no rewards for rating.
    That's the thing though, nothing is ever perfect and they 'were' supposed to change things and add premade groups etc, it just took way longer than it should have and people did indeed get bored. The game was essentially released 3 months too early and 'could' have been something, but they messed that up.

Deleted
    wow pvp suck balls. Fear Fear stun cc, that's all it is. It is so frustrating. Oh and waiting for your cd's to comeback to burst.

This basically sums up what i think of SWTOR pvp