Deleted

new graphics card for £370

I'm about to order a new graphics card but I can't decide on a couple of options in my price range. my upper limit is about £370 and I've found a few cards.

Sapphire Vapor X 7970 Ghz edition - £360
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 Ghz edition - £355
    KFA2 GeForce GTX 680 OC - £375
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 Jetstream - £375

does anyone have any experience with these cards? the benchmarks look very similar and it's quite hard to pick. I'd prefer something really quiet as my current card is almost unbearable. They all a very similar price so it's impossible to base it on that.

cheers.
    Last edited by mmoce6d6d6a277; 2013-04-24 at 01:31 PM.

Deleted
    what games do you mostly play?

Deleted
    nothing specific to be honest. I change games often but more recently it's been FC3, Defiance and Tera

If you can wait 3 to 4 weeks, you'll likely see a drop in prices on the 6xx cards as NVidia is coming out with 700 cards. The 780 will based off the GK110 (Titan) and the 770 will be equivalent to the present 680 (maybe a little better as rumored specs show a little higher clock rate with a little more GDDR) and the 760 Ti which should be about equal with the 670 (little faster due to higher clock rate).

What resolution, how many monitors, what refresh rate?

If your just running a single monitor in 1080p at 60mHz Refresh Rate, or 2 monitors but not gaming across them, just using one for extended desktop, I would go with a GTX 670. I know a couple people that bought 680s and were disappointing and wished they had gone with the 670 because there was no real gain going up to the 680.

Deleted
    the new series doesn't look too appealing to be honest, I think I'd rather grab one now on sale if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    What resolution, how many monitors, what refresh rate?

If your just running a single monitor in 1080p at 60mHz Refresh Rate, or 2 monitors but not gaming across them, just using one for extended desktop, I would go with a GTX 670. I know a couple people that bought 680s and were disappointing and wished they had gone with the 670 because there was no real gain going up to the 680.
    that's not a bad idea, could save me £50 or so. I game on a 1080p single screen with extended desktop on the second.

anyone know if the EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 is any good and if it is quiet? the thing looks fucking sexy.
    Last edited by mmoce6d6d6a277; 2013-04-24 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    the new series doesn't look too appealing to be honest, I think I'd rather grab one now on sale if possible.
    That's the thing, when the new series comes out, the old series will drop in price. It may take a few weeks, but everyone will be trying to get the old pieces out of stock, so prices will drop on the old models.

that's not a bad idea, could save me £50 or so. I game on a 1080p single screen with extended desktop on the second.

anyone know if the EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 is any good and if it is quiet? the thing looks fucking sexy.
    Yeah, a GTX670 will be plenty for you, probably still more than you need honestly.

The FTW edition is a stock OC, so if you do not plan on OCing it yourself it's a decent choice. The problem with most EVGA cards however is they are pretty closed up and have a single fan for cooling. MSI and Gigabytes have much better aftermarket coolers with 2 fans and a more open design.

Here is an MSI with a stock OC, .01 higher than the EVGA(whoope-dee-do) but with a much better cooling solution:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/464168-msi-gtx...670-pe-2gd5-oc

Here is a Gigabyte card you could OC yourself if you are so inclined:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/452789-gigabyt...gv-n670wf2-2gd

Deleted

evga 670 signature 2 is one of the best 670's out there. (see here for good indepth review ; http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/E...ture_2/32.html)
    as for overclocking any non reference cooler should do the trick.
    also if just gaming get a 3570k and perhaps get a 680 instead.

Deleted
    cheers the help guys, I ordered the FTW 2 on next day delivery. can't wait to install it tomorrow. glad I asked here before a purchase as I saved some money and got a super sexy card in the process. the ones I were looking at were the bottom line 680s and were pretty ugly. same goes with the 7970 ghz I was looking at - dam ugly blue pcbs.

I'll post some pictures when I get it tomorrow and install into my computer.

cheers the help guys, I ordered the FTW 2 on next day delivery. can't wait to install it tomorrow. glad I asked here before a purchase as I saved some money and got a super sexy card in the process. the ones I were looking at were the bottom line 680s and were pretty ugly. same goes with the 7970 ghz I was looking at - dam ugly blue pcbs.

I'll post some pictures when I get it tomorrow and install into my computer.
    You'll be very happy with that decision. Glad we could help, hate seeing people buy more than they need then possibly having buyer's remorse later. Looking forward to the pics.