Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you ever wonder what it is like to get preferential treatment?

I have never been the recipient of preferential treatment, but I have seen people receive it. How does it make you feel when you see some one treated better/different than you because they are a celebrity, or an elected official, or a otherwise well known personality? Also, on the flip side: how does it make you feel when you see someone treated worse than you for no particular reason? Personally, people receiving preferential treatment makes me sick. I think everyone should be treated in a similar fashion, unless they have done something to warrant being treated differently. I would be interested in hearing your opinions on this.

Having civility is one thing, but people should be approached in any fashion on an individual basis. There is just a shift in who is important these days. In the 60's astronauts were the stars and I'm sure they had preferential treatment. Today you act like an imbecile and dress like a hooker and every kid knows your name. Name a single astronaut or current scientist without going to google... Most can't even hope to do that. But Everyone knows pop stars. Outside of a celebrity bubble people should be treated by how they present themselves. You can't blanket treatment on the erroneous idea that everyone is equal. People are not equal, and will never be, and this lesson that is being taught is a dangerous one that will have consequences later on in history.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've flown first class a few times, gotten extra good tickets to shows and such and received preferential treatment as a result. I like it. It's nice.

How do I feel when I'm flying coach and see someone else getting preferential treatment? No big deal.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I get preferential treatment because of my job and rank, I milk it for all its worth, only a fool turns down freebies.

When I was in K-12 school we called these people "teachers pets".

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    I like it when I get it, which isn't often.

Once went into a restaurant. This place does not allow reservations. Asked for a table for six. Got told we had to wait. We waited like 20 minutes. Group after group came in after us and got seated before us. I almost never lose my cool, but at the 29 minute point when ANOTHER party of six came in and got seated in like 2 minutes I blew my stack at the people at the desk. Boy, I haven't gotten that mad in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I have never been the recipient of preferential treatment, but I have seen people receive it. How does it make you feel when you see some one treated better/different than you because they are a celebrity, or an elected official, or a otherwise well known personality? Also, on the flip side: how does it make you feel when you see someone treated worse than you for no particular reason? Personally, people receiving preferential treatment makes me sick. I think everyone should be treated in a similar fashion, unless they have done something to warrant being treated differently. I would be interested in hearing your opinions on this.
    Being the leader of a guild has it perks. The girls are always over me.

Not sure I understand your question. You say everyone should be treated the same unless they have done something to warrant being treated differently. But celebrities and elected officials have done something to be treated differently.

And I certainly doubt the veracity of the statement that you have never received preferential treatment. It smacks of perceptual/racial bias.

*shrug* amuses me sometimes. I remember one time I was in Moscow, and I wanted to see Lenin before my flight at 2 pm. I showed up at the Red Square at 10:30 am and I was told that there is no way in hell I was gonna make it in before noon because of the lines.

I did, however, ask in English rather than Russian, and the cop who turned me down told me that if I really wanted to get in, I could pay a "little extra" and he'd get me past security without a line. I paid a nominal bribe - something like 50 bucks - and he basically marched me up to the metal detector / security checkpoint, told the soldiers there that I was "cool", and they ushered me through without any checks whatsoever.

The people in the line who saw that grumbled quite a bit. I was happy that the dollar worked its magic. Sometimes it feels really good to be part of the problem, rather than the solution.

I'm a white hetero male, I don't know what it's like to not get preferential treatment.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an educated caucasian male in the United States. I get preferential treatment in that the police (generally) are polite to me. I've never been turned down for a loan and my bank is very lenient if I make an error and overdraw my account or miss a payment. The list goes on, basically I receive all the perks of "white privilege." It's unfair and unjust, but I'd be a liar if I said I haven't benefitted from it.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    When I was in K-12 school we called these people "teachers pets".
    When I was in school, it was called being on the Varsity football team. I was patently aware that I got away with bloody murder all those years ago. It's sad when I look back on it to how the whole institution turned a blind eye, but I certainly enjoyed it when I was there.

Nowadays, being a male in a predominately female field also has lead to preferential treatment in my life. Right or wrong, I'm not about to be the one to rock the boat.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 02:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I'm a white hetero male, I don't know what it's like to not get preferential treatment.
    Well, and this too.

Firstly, cheers my fellow dolphin ^
    __

I get it all the time, it's great, but if people are being treated badly I do something about it if I can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    You missed the /sarcasm at the end of your post.

As A mixed race person I can tell you that I have seen my fair share of white people getting better treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    You missed the /sarcasm at the end of your post.

As A mixed race person I can tell you that I have seen my fair share of white people getting better treatment.
    As a white person i can tell you i've seen non white people gett better treatment because of race as well. so it works both ways on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    I don't care when it comes about individuals, they are idiots that are being monitorized everywhere, and I'd hate to be a public person.

But when I see groups of people, like entire nationalities, races or genders that get better treatment it's infuriating. As an example, the Gypsies in my country have reserved spaces in schools that remain empty anyway, and a lot of people of my nationality who need them cannot take them because they're reserved, so they just remain that: empty seats. How pathetic.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-04-26 at 01:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    As an example, the Gypsies in my country have reserved spaces in schools that remain empty anyway, and a lot of people of my nationality who need them cannot take them because they're reserved, so they just remain that: empty seats. How pathetic.
    Where do you live? Because that's stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheHoe View Post
    Where do you live? Because that's stupid.
    I live in Eastern Europe.

Deleted
    I'm a latin american woman in Europe and I've never recieved any special treatment because of that.

People here talk a lot about the benefits of inmigrants and actually think we have like some sort of magic access to stuff, and it's all a myth, because I've been here for 4 years now and I live my life just like the european guy next door.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    I'm a latin american woman in Europe and I've never recieved any special treatment because of that.

People here talk a lot about the benefits of inmigrants and actually think we have like some sort of magic access to stuff, and it's all a myth, because I've been here for 4 years now and I live my life just like the european guy next door.
    Indeed.

When I was unemployed my advisor went as far as to say that it could be my Indian name holding me back, hell me and a friend applied for the same job and we had similar experience, he got a reply I got ignored.