Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    As a preface, I love pretty much every single race on Pandaria...The Mantid are awesome, the Grummles are like the best race ever, but the Pandaren? I hate them. It's not even the whole "LOL PANDAS" thing either, it's just...ugh. They're so boring. They're all so pleasant and goodie goodie. I mean, has anyone seen a pandaren villain? Ever? Has there ever been a quest to lop the head off of Po-Xing-Zhao the Pandaren Raider? Because I haven't encountered one.

Seems kind of far fetched that in an entire race of people there hasn't been a single bad egg, and I know Sha, blah blah, control your emotions, blah blah blah: that doesn't cut it for me. The Hozen don't keep their emotions in check, nor do the Mantid, or the Yongol. It's only the Pandaren. It makes no sense.

Plus I hate their animations. The Pandaren Males are just too bouncy, and the females look so terrible I have yet to even play one, so I can't even speak about their animations. Seriously, they're the ugliest females in the game.

But at the end of day I'm just one dude. I guess...perhaps...maybe they were a success? There's really no way to know without taking some sort of huge survey to see if "we gotz the pandas!" was a huge selling point for MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    They weren't a success for me because of the horrible lack of customization for the faces. This issue affects mainly females, who all have the exact same eyes, nose, mouths...all the exact same expression. Whereas the males at least have some variety in the nose and mouth area, plus eyebrows that give different looks to the eyes.

The fact that our articulate complaints begging for more than one default face were dismissed will forever be a sore point for me. Just because that ONE face can make a lot of really great well-animated expressions doesn't excuse that each character on the creation screen looks the same. I lost a lot of respect for Blizz over their refusal to allow the pandaren female to look like anything other than a cutesy little girl. I wanted a scarred female warrior (men can have scars or look serious, why not women?) and since I can't have that, I simply cannot tolerate playing a pandaren.
    When there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gotta admit, when there was first speculation of a Panda race I was one of those people that were all "AMG, if they put Pandas in this game I'm done with WoW!" And now I'm a Pandaren Monk main. I love them, the animations, racials, and sharing a love for alcoholic beverages. The cross faction thing was just icing on the cake.

Deleted
    The pandaren were a joke, and I still treat them as a joke. I do not allow pandarens in my guild, and especially in my raids. Fuck those little shits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulus View Post
    The pandaren were a joke, and I still treat them as a joke. I do not allow pandarens in my guild, and especially in my raids. Fuck those little shits.
    So you wouldn't allow my Shaman to enter your guild nor raid, but you would be fine if I brought my Warrior?
    Yeah, fuck logic.
    I get you don't like tolerance but you can ease up a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Insarius View Post
    So you wouldn't allow my Shaman to enter your guild nor raid, but you would be fine if I brought my Warrior?
    Yeah, fuck logic.
    I get you don't like tolerance but you can ease up a bit.
    Or maybe I can't, since that's for me to decide what's okay and what is not?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    They are ugly.
    They have strong Asian connotations.
    They add nothing to the game.

Basically they are another race I would never will play like Taurens, Undead and Gnomes. So in my opinion they are a failure like most things of this gaudy expansion.
    subjectivity is subjective

10+ Year Old Account
    That's hilarious. xD

I really wouldn't want to be in your guild anyway. :-\ So it's all good!
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

There should be a Poll IMO,

On point. I think it was a success. Not to mention it was a nice bit of "reality" to the game i feel.

Not all Americans approved of our wars, and wanted our side to win. Thats not how life is, different people view the same things differently.
    So seeing the same race, following 2 separate paths, and 2 different beliefs siding with 2 different groups, over the same matters, and realizing they most likely will have to kill their own some day.... it made the Pandaren the most "HUMAN" race in WoW in my opinion.

I like how they explained why the different sects of pandaren believe, though i dont think blizzard should have made it seem so specific to the sides they picked. Horde being the Jump In And Brave The Waters, the Alliance being the Measure Twice Cut Once approach.

But all in all, Major Success in my opinion, I would like to see more neutral races. More storys of other races, coping with a war they have no stake it, but will be pulled into, and how they have opinions of but arent the same as others of their homelands.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 03:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Saerlaith View Post
    They weren't a success for me because of the horrible lack of customization for the faces. This issue affects mainly females, who all have the exact same eyes, nose, mouths...all the exact same expression. Whereas the males at least have some variety in the nose and mouth area, plus eyebrows that give different looks to the eyes.

The fact that our articulate complaints begging for more than one default face were dismissed will forever be a sore point for me. Just because that ONE face can make a lot of really great well-animated expressions doesn't excuse that each character on the creation screen looks the same. I lost a lot of respect for Blizz over their refusal to allow the pandaren female to look like anything other than a cutesy little girl. I wanted a scarred female warrior (men can have scars or look serious, why not women?) and since I can't have that, I simply cannot tolerate playing a pandaren.
    How often in game are you zoomed into your characters face?

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally hated Pandaren from the first announcement. It was a bad idea, to me. This race that had existed hidden for centuries partially because they don't want to get involved in faction wars, partially because they just didn't want to leave their realm, didn't fit in for me. I got Northrend, I got Outlands, I got the reshaping from the Cataclysm. But Pandaria: Did. Not. Get.

There are better races with better lore that they could have used and it was a shame that they just created Pandaren lore. The perks were nice though. Like the cloud serpents and all the cool mounts. But they didn't need the Pandaren race to implement those.

Also felt the Asian characteristic of the whole place seemed a bit forced for me. Could have done it more subtly.

But that's just my two cents. Obviously they were a success for most other players, though I think many players had blinded judgement because of their history of commitment to wow.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    I think from a story perspective, it's very strange and implausible that they would join opposing factions of strangers they just met, and then fight against each other.
    Agreed 100%. If I have any complaint with them, this is it.

Deleted
    I would say they are not utilized fully from a lore perspective, there is too little negative things about them to make them appear more 'humane'. For example, I play as an Undead Warlock. I love the lore of my race - slaves to the Lich King, then broke free and claimed the lands for their own. Our racial leader is badass, and I love the fact that we are the most scheming race of the Horde right next to Blood Elves.

In comparison the Pandaren are just super timid, Taran Zhu is not doing it for me. It's one gigantic 'meh'. Goblins felt way better, with their obsession with money and greed.

Overall yes and they are the only race where cross faction really makes sense to me. I hated my entrance to the horde and still do. Not cool with my monk just listening to what Garrosh is saying instead of pulling out his stick and smacking him upside his tiny head.

Deleted
    Or maybe I can't, since that's for me to decide what's okay and what is not?
    Yep, it is for you to decide what you find to be okay and what not.
    Doesn't make you less of a pill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think in a very general sense they were, but I'm not super thrilled to play them due to the identical faces. The cutesy :3 face just. No thank you. I like their place in the story though, and the models are lovely, besides the face thing.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    They have strong Asian connotations.
    And what is wrong with the Asian connotations? They are not the first to have this. The NE buildings have a Japanese style to them. Or is it the CHINESE connections that you have problems with?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    And what is wrong with the Asian connotations? They are not the first to have this. The NE buildings have a Japanese style to them. Or is it the CHINESE connections that you have problems with?
    The NEs were not as overt and screaming "ASIA" whenever you look at them

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Nope, going to be completely forgotten and irrelevant in the very next expac. So far, they have had very little impact anywhere outside pandaland.
    I'm pretty much on board with this.

Deleted
    No I don't. They don't make a whole lot of sense in terms of their own lore and ideals set against the Horde and Alliance.

The whole Houjin vs Tushui thing is the main problem. They are both highly disciplined and although they have differing ideals, they still work together and get along. How do they go from that to fighting and killing in the name of the two warmongering kings of the Alliance and Horde? I don't buy the whole "oh they spar but don't kill each other" thing either. Why would Varian or Garrosh have any use for soldiers that would leave their enemies intact in a time of war?

They also haven't had much influence on anything. They appear to be mostly inept and require us with our leaders to clean up their mess. The only Pandaren with any degree of competence are the Shado-pan. What even happened to the characters introduced to us in the start zone? I don't recall even seeing Ji or Aysa between 85 and 90.

Moving on from Mists, we'll obviously be seeing less of them and my guess is they'll essentially become Draenei/Blood Elf 2.0 and be forgotten for the next 3 expansions.

In other terms though I think they are certainly the prettiest race Blizzard has created, and I can only hope the new models in future get as much love and care put into them.

If Blizzard wants to do Neutral it should be either a third faction (which will obviously require an overhaul of some systems though not all that much; some new 3-way BGs might be cool, but existing 1v1 can work by simply matchmaking Alliance vs X or Horde, Horde vs X or Alliance. Doesn't need to make sense in lore, we do after all have Pandaren, Worgen and Goblins fighting in WSG and AV)

OR they should do it with a race that is actually known for warmongering and being bastards with many warring "sub-factions". Goblins could have been a good candidate; the cartels always fight one another and they're known for selling their services. This is the main thing Pandas are missing IMO. They aren't a warlike people, so why would they join two factions that would force them to fight one another?

I thought they worked out fine. The angst over them always seemed ill-founded to me.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"