Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personal NO! It would be better for the game.
    But they have to, they introduced it and toooooo many ppl would cry if they wouldn't allwow it anymore in the next expansion. It's a part of the game now.

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post
    How easy would you like it? Should mobs be phased so that hostile NPC's only appear if you're on a quest?

It's an MMO. The game has definitely been simplified from it's original state. Blizzard spends a lot of money and a lot of time designing new zones. You remember Cata? Basically it was just pick up quest, fly to quest objective, interact/kill/collect quest objective, fly back to quest giver. It was absolutely no challenge at all to level, and the world felt very plain and boring.
    I have this crazy idea that just might work. How about... get this, how about... you make the quest objective the challenge?

Seriously, all you people are acting like flight would automatically make things easier, when they could, I don't know, do their jobs and tune the difficulty with flying mounts in mind.

In what way, shape or form is my leveling experience enhanced by making me fight fifty bears before I'm allowed to storm the castle of evilness?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deamon002 View Post
    I have this crazy idea that just might work. How about... get this, how about... you make the quest objective the challenge?

Seriously, all you people are acting like flight would automatically make things easier, when they could, I don't know, do their jobs and tune the difficulty with flying mounts in mind.

In what way, shape or form is my leveling experience enhanced by making me fight fifty bears before I'm allowed to storm the castle of evilness?
    You must have missed the long paragraph about the time, effort, and money that goes into designing and creating the new zones. Seriously, there was nothing all that memorable in the cataclysm zones, mainly because most people, myself included could just fly from objective to objective. Towards the end of the expansion is when I finally realized the amount of work that went into the new zones, Uldum being my favorite. But too little too late at that point, I wasn't about to take all my alts on a sightseeing journey with 3 months left until Mists.

When Mists dropped, all I can say was I'm glad I couldn't fly. With the exception of the orgy of mobs in dread wastes, I enjoyed every minute of leveling between the storyline and the scenery, something I know I damn well wouldn't have experienced if I could fly from the get go. Also, keep in mind that cataclysm was the only expansion that allowed you to fly before level cap (or close to level cap). The complaints have only really started now that we were able to fly before level cap in cata.

Deleted
    Personally I wish they'd just let me fly from the get go. I explore a LOT more and experience the artwork and time put into zones when I can fly because there is no danger as such, I have time to just stop for a minute and have a look around an outpost or any little hidden spots. When I'm on a ground mount if I'm questing I'll probably have a trail of mobs behind me from running between objectives and I'm not going to stop to kill them all to explore a little cave or w/e it might be.

I just don't see the point of being forced to use ground based mounts to "experience" the content and storyline. all I am being forced to experience is being knocked off mount by mobs I have no need to interact with at that point and slow me down from my enjoyment of the story, To me Having to put up with fighting 10 - 15 mobs just traveling a stupid ass distance to hand in a quest only then have to run through them all again is not interesting or fun.
    Exactly this, just because I'm on a ground mount it won't and doesn't stop me from just running between objectives, it makes me ignore zones and the work put into them more when I'm on a ground mount. When I'm on a ground mount it's basically dodging mobs and hoping I don'y get dazed, on a flyer I can actually look around and do a little exploring without having to constantly clear mobs.

Oh my god, that's so inconvenient, how ever will people hit level cap with that going on? Just stop, you're embarassing yourself, if you can't put up with some minor inconveniences when questing, especially considering how ridiculously easy it is nowadays, I feel pretty bad for you. I forgot though, things like Immersion and World PvP don't matter one bit because people like you would rather have everything handed to them on a silver platter.
    Preferring to be able to fly now equates to wanting everything handed to them? Calm down. Being forced on a ground mount that seems incredibly slow now when we've had 280%+ speed flyers for years does not create immersion, good storytelling, plots and characters do that, not being told to go collect 15 pieces of jade on a slow ground mount instead of a flyer.

I understand they are not allowing flying right at the begening of the xpac.

But they should allow flying at the patch X.1,
    how come we can't fly in Padaria already, this leveling shit is boring

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope you can fly right at level 90, I hate using ground mounts. They are too slow and questing with them takes forever. I play WoW to raid/pvp and not spend my time on shitty quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    Questing zones work better without flying. This has been clearly demonstrated by Cataclysm. With flying, and in particular the complete safety that comes with it, questing becomes solely a matter of "fly to map indicator. kill target. fly to quest giver." You don't ever participate in a zone, you just assassinate quest targets. Jade Forest is an example of how ground questing can be great for storytelling, and how flying questing would utterly gut it. Even some of the smaller quest hubs in later zones have quests that are things like "fight your way to the back of the hozen village, picking up some objects on the way, and defeat the boss." With flying, that quest group would be "pick off a few hozen around the edges, fly to the boss, gank him, and fly back." It's just not as compelling an experience.

If all you care about is getting to the new level cap, then yeah, you'll want flying. But if you have any shred of desire to actually enjoy the leveling experience you get by questing through zones, then you should want it to be limited to ground-only. If you level exclusively by dungeons, I suppose you don't care.
    You made me change my mind. I dont like flying at all for leveling. Though I think if the next expansion was 90-100 the last zone or two could be flying zones and have the zones be multi level zones. Think massive sky islands with quest hubs on them, and caves underground spanning the entire zone. Would be amazing imo, but for the most part i think ground mounts work better.

Deleted
    Of course they should not allow it. Cataclysm initial leveling was ruined by flying completely.

I hope there isnt flying until max level

Using pandaria as an example i had a great time levelling, the zones were a lot better than i expected and they even made me want to come back to check them out, especially the mountains in kun-lai. I finally went back at level 90 to check them out and it was really underwhelming being up in the air and i could tell that if I had flying from the start i would never have appreciated the zones as much as i did without it.

To be honest flying really hurts this game. Going out into the world used to be a commitment and if you ever came back with anything good the feeling was quite satisfying, now its just a second thought.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    From my understanding flying was removed to get rid of the bots for farming ores and herbs and such like in cata i saw lvl 70s flying in the new zones stealing ores on this panda expansion i don't see anyone ever farming. Thats just my 2 cents

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the MOP Model got it right. Flying at level Cap.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    From my understanding flying was removed to get rid of the bots for farming ores and herbs and such like in cata i saw lvl 70s flying in the new zones stealing ores on this panda expansion i don't see anyone ever farming. Thats just my 2 cents
    Yeah, maybe that's cause your server is dead. Mine is filled to the brimm with 250k hp druids flying around farming ores and herbs. And before they got those to 90 they had level 85's flying through the air using ground mounts sometimes even as corpses and farming stuff showing how good blizzards hack/cheat protection truly is. Was really fun to climb up all the way killing several mobs in the process to get at that trillium and then have a level 85 flying dk swoop down and mine it right before you can do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post
    You must have missed the long paragraph about the time, effort, and money that goes into designing and creating the new zones. Seriously, there was nothing all that memorable in the cataclysm zones, mainly because most people, myself included could just fly from objective to objective. Towards the end of the expansion is when I finally realized the amount of work that went into the new zones, Uldum being my favorite. But too little too late at that point, I wasn't about to take all my alts on a sightseeing journey with 3 months left until Mists.

When Mists dropped, all I can say was I'm glad I couldn't fly. With the exception of the orgy of mobs in dread wastes, I enjoyed every minute of leveling between the storyline and the scenery, something I know I damn well wouldn't have experienced if I could fly from the get go. Also, keep in mind that cataclysm was the only expansion that allowed you to fly before level cap (or close to level cap). The complaints have only really started now that we were able to fly before level cap in cata.
    Speak for yourself; I found Deepholm, Vashjr and Hyjal much more memorable than most of the MoP zones. In fact as for the World PvP argument people trot out, due to Hyjal's boxed in quest hub map structure I seen tons more World PvP in that one zone than I did in the entirety of MoP leveling experience. The "immersion" argument is a load of subjective smoke and mirrors; you can feel immersed traveling on your ground mount to collect those ten rats tails but your still collecting rats tails . I don't mind either way but's lets not delude ourselves on the reasons why flying was disabled until 90 in MoP; it was to slow the leveling experience down which I don't mind first time around but when it gets to alts it really starts to annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Speak for yourself; I found Deepholm, Vashjr and Hyjal much more memorable than most of the MoP zones. In fact as for the World PvP argument people trot out, due to Hyjal's boxed in quest hub map structure I seen tons more World PvP in that one zone than I did in the entirety of MoP leveling experience. The "immersion" argument is a load of subjective smoke and mirrors; you can feel immersed traveling on your ground mount to collect those ten rats tails but your still collecting rats tails . I don't mind either way but's lets not delude ourselves on the reasons why flying was disabled until 90 in MoP; it was to slow the leveling experience down which I don't mind first time around but when it gets to alts it really starts to annoy me.
    Exactly this.

I don't remember a single fucking iota of "MOP scenery" until I was well into 90, with flying.

P.S. I don't think people realize that typically, a "slow" leveling experience is simply an aggravating, frustrating leveling experience, not a "memorable" or "immersive" one. Wanting to jump out your 11th floor window doesn't make you enjoy the game more, short or long term.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-04-27 at 04:57 PM.

Oh look, Another Jaylock thread where he insults people who don't agree with him...and what do you know, He's banned...again.

Jesus christ Mods, How many times are you going to pre-ban this guy before you just full out ban him forever? Sheesh

I liked the Wrath model of flying, once you reached max, you could buy tomes that allowed alt's to fly at earlier levels.

Deleted
    i want them too handle flying like this: you need too reach max level of that continent too learn flying in there.
    afterwards you unlock a quest that requires you to do some requirements (nothing too extreme, lets say: revered with 3-5 factions you unlock at max level).
    and then you unlock the ability too purchase boa tomes that you can sent too your alts so they can learning flying in that continent right away.

No. Do not allow flying on the continent or whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    No.

Flying mounts has been one of the worst features they've ever added to this game.
    At this point, and given the absurdly high amount of FP's, I tend to agree. The only advantage in my eyes is the ability to get to places that were previously unreachable. Z axis can make games much more interesting from a design standpoint.

Deleted
    No, leave it to the flight master. Make zone for ground mount flying is a major reason world pvp is as dead as it is.