Poll: Can a non-Hunter bow class fit in WoW?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Can a new bow/crossbow class be implemented?

And can this class be implemented and be significantly different than hunters?

As most know, the major gap in class balance strongly suggests that the 12th class will use Mail, and more than likely use physical ranged weapons. Tinkers are a strong possibility, and would be a unique class. Tinkers would fill this gap quite well.

There is also a strong desire for another bow class. Dark Ranger is constantly cited as a desired class concept. So is the Diablo 3 version of the Demon Hunter. There is definitely a demand in the community for an archer class that doesn't require a pet, and there are plenty of archer heroes from WC3 and other sources that can be utilized to flesh this class out.

However, can there be another bow class in WoW that doesn't overlap with Hunters? If so, how could such a class be implemented?

I look forward to our responses.

Yes, easily.

We have three classes that use two handed axes, maces and swords. Differentiating by using knowledge in weapons, the Light and power over undeath. Two of those can use one-handed strength weapons. We have three classes using one-handed agility weapons with cunning or inner balance or the elements. We have a whole ton of classes using staves and one-handed spell weapons with the light, shadow, flame, frost, arcane, sun/moon, nature, elements and the like.

Yet we only have one class that uses ranged weapons? There is so much potential there.

I'd have to go with Tinker too. The theme is a strong one and still unused for the classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Ranger and Demon Hunter would both be too similar to Hunters. Demon Hunter uses ranged attacks and traps... does that sound familiar? The rest of it's abilities are already found on the Rogue class. Dark Ranger is a little more unique, but I don't really see a lot of room for class diversity between them and Hunters.

do we need one? YES WE DO and hunters stfu about it and deal with it, welcome to the world of Ret paladin, Fury/arms warriors when they made DK's. D.E.A.L With it.
    same bloody reason we need a plate user who uses int mainly that is not a Holy paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    Dark Ranger and Demon Hunter would both be too similar to Hunters. Demon Hunter uses ranged attacks and traps... does that sound familiar? The rest of it's abilities are already found on the Rogue class. Dark Ranger is a little more unique, but I don't really see a lot of room for class diversity between them and Hunters.
    Demon Hunter from warcraft and Demon Hunter from diablo are completely different.

The only similar thing between a Warcraft Demon Hunter, and the Hunter class are that their names have hunter in them.

a pure with both a ranged and melee spec without a pet would fit perfectly into the game as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    a pure with both a ranged and melee spec without a pet would fit perfectly into the game as far as I am concerned.
    therefore give rogues and warriors ranged weapon specs
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I dunno about what kinda class you'd end up with, but I'd like to see dual pistols enter the game, maybe Tera style where instead of having 2 sepeate pistol slots on the toon, you just have 1 slot and the weapon itself is comprised of 2 guns.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    therefore give rogues and warriors ranged weapon specs
    i dont tihnk warriors would get one, but i can see one working on rogues.

No. The only reason I say this is because Blizzard took away Hunters having a melee weapon. So, throwing in another ranged, physical class would feel completely unnecessary. You could argue, "But what about like a demolition/bomber class?" but - seriously - that would get boring after a week.

Deleted
    but its hard to make a bow class that isn't just the same as hunters without a pet

Of course they could add one... but I don't think it would be possible to have a class that's both different enough from a hunter AND makes sense lorewise.

A traditional Ranger/Archer class could never be different enough from a Hunter. The only thing you could really do would be to make a more magic-based archer class such as Dark Ranger/Shadow Hunter etc but they would never work -- You see, Dark Rangers only make sense for Undead & possibly Blood Elves. Shadow Hunters only make sense for Trolls. Diablo-style Demon Hunters would never be implemented because they're from a different game.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about a Hermit? Like they have in maple story for example? It would be a mix of a hunter and rogue I guess but uses throwing knifes/stars?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    but its hard to make a bow class that isn't just the same as hunters without a pet
    mages now use bows/guns/crossbows
    they shoot their spells
    BANG
    they aren't anything like hunters
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of the more magic -based archers like the Naga Sea Witch, Dark Ranger, Warden, and Priestess of the Moon. Magic and Archery would make an interesting physical ranged class.

Priestess of Elune. Sort of a Priest/Hunter hybrid, with a bit of Rogue thrown in. So they have a healing spec, ranged DPS, and melee DPS specs. Done.

Read what they're like in the War of the Ancients trilogy, they're pretty badass.

EDIT: of the moon*. No wonder I couldn't find their WoWpedia page. But here: http://www.wowpedia.org/Priestess_of_the_moon

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see how they would do it. Unless it shoots magic or something, and can heal with the 'magic arrows' etc.

Think of dark rangers or diablo demon hunters.

For all intents and purposes, we're still missing a "magical archer" class. No cold arrow, no explosive arrow, no ricochet arrow, etc.

Tinkerer could be a spec amongst them.

I see it playing out like this:

Dark Ranger
    - tinkerer/grenade spec
    - canon dark ranger spec
    - hybrid melee/ranged spec that utilizes building combo points/stuns with ranged and then running into melee for a finisher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I will stick with Tinkers and guns. I am one focus idea kinda person.

A class itself may be too much, because you'd need 3~4 different trees to be different from each other and from Hunter's. So I'd go for "fourth" specs for already existing classes. Rogues and Warriors are clear candidates to getting ranged specs; be that as a pet-less marksman, or some sort of assassin/mercenary. Makes sense, and would be a breather for classes that already feel too similar in all specs.

Itemization, on itself, wouldn't be much of a problem - barring the Str ranged weapons for Warriors, but might as well go with some passive that converts Agi on weapons to Str, or just make all Ranged weapons give AP. Now, mechanics-wise, I don't think it'd be as simple as slapping a 40yd range on the melee abilities and renaming them... However, I find the whole intriguing.

Oh and while at it, Rexxar spec for Hunters
    Last edited by Zardi; 2013-04-25 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Formatting