Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Stay 2H or just go Unholy?

    So lately I've realized Im getting rocked in dps and I need to know..

    What should I be.. 2h frost or Unholy?

    DW Frost is rocking me on every fight.. but considering we already have another DW frost I dont want to go DW and steal his gear.

    So my other option is to go Unholy.. but I dont even know if It'll be any different from 2H Frost..

    One of the DKs in the world first Raden kill was Unholy.. so I thought maybe thats the go to spec now?

    Any thoughts?

    Armory is in signature if that helps any.

  2. #2
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,937
    All of our specs are about even now, so you can choose how you want to play really.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  3. #3
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,212
    super noob @ DK so I could be wrong but I think most DK's are going Unholy when they get the Ji Kun stacking strength trinket.

  4. #4
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somewhere In Stormwind
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    super noob @ DK so I could be wrong but I think most DK's are going Unholy when they get the Ji Kun stacking strength trinket.

    You're correct.

  5. #5
    Unholy is awesome with correct trinkets. + its lots of fun to play

  6. #6
    High Overlord rhapso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    176
    With correct trinkets and a singlephased "Patchwork-ish" fight, it can put out ridiculous numbers. Also: IMMENSE execute dps boost compared to frost.
    What doesn't kill me gives me Vengeance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...psody/advanced

    DK Guide to LK 25 Heroic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixa6Tyqd-oY

  7. #7
    Moderator Nyanmaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eschborn
    Posts
    5,351
    You can go Unholy and Festerblight whenever you want, but you'll only truly excel once you get the fabled feather. It's not the only thing that makes it viable, it's what makes it notably better than frost. Outside of feather, the specs are close enough that RNG makes the difference which one prevails.

  8. #8
    Unholy. It's excellent with feather, but even with the Shadow-Pan trinket you can couple it with a pot and still play a pretty effective festerblight.

  9. #9
    Take a look at this if you are thinking about doing festerblight unholy http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...sterblight-101. With spark and no feather it won't be as good, but might still be an increase if you want to try it out.

    If you are getting destroyed by similar geared DW, you might want to look into why your dps is low, a spec change is not going to do anything for your dps unless you can pull it off better. If you want to post here http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-My-DK-DPS-MoP, you can try to figure out if you are doing anything wrong as 2H frost.


    Check out this thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...d-haste-values you really shouldn't be gemming full haste, at your ilvl is might not be hurting you too bad, but in general Strength is stronger than haste for gemming purposes. You also have 3 items that aren't enchanted, so there some damage you are just missing out on.
    Last edited by dkdk; 2013-04-25 at 01:39 PM. Reason: adding more

  10. #10
    overall unholy is the highest of the 3 specs, i still go frost here and there on some fights, ji-kun for an example, as the ghoul is mental and despawns if you land before letting your feather expire, plus the burst of frost for the adds is really nice. if they ever fix that bug thou ill probably go unholy for that fight as well. i must say i don't think I've ever been beaten by a dw dk(with similar gear levels), the only way dw beats 2-hand frost is with adds, those fights you should be unholy and you'll blow them away. ie: look at tortos logs i didn't even focus adds just spread dots and stayed on boss and pulled over 400k top dk who was on adds did almost 900k lmao
    Last edited by damescool; 2013-04-25 at 05:47 PM.

  11. #11
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,091
    I've noticed 2h Frost is better on most SINGLE TARGET fights (Until the upper echelons of gear IMO).

    Unholy pulls ahead in Execute phases, like others have said, IMMENSELY. The Shadow Damage buff is just..huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I've noticed 2h Frost is better on most SINGLE TARGET fights (Until the upper echelons of gear IMO).

    Unholy pulls ahead in Execute phases, like others have said, IMMENSELY. The Shadow Damage buff is just..huge.
    Depends how you play Unholy, festerblight beats out 2h frost on single target over the course of a fight (assuming no immunity phases on the boss etc), it just doesn't have the starting burst 2h Frost gives.

    I also disagree that frost is better for ji'kun, you can dps the eggs whilst not on the ground (just hovering above, and the primal nutriment buff is insane for festerblight, you can put stupidly strong diseases up and get them rolling long enough that they're still there when you return from your next nest rotation.
    Last edited by Zeeket; 2013-04-25 at 07:53 PM.

  13. #13
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeket View Post
    Depends how you play Unholy, festerblight beats out 2h frost on single target over the course of a fight (assuming no immunity phases on the boss etc), it just doesn't have the starting burst 2h Frost gives.

    I also disagree that frost is better for ji'kun, you can dps the eggs whilst not on the ground (just hovering above, and the primal nutriment buff is insane for festerblight, you can put stupidly strong diseases up and get them rolling long enough that they're still there when you return from your next nest rotation.
    I'm beginning to experiment with Festerblight.

    My guildies have been arguing Unholy is better than Frost (standard Unholy) and I've been calling bullshit based on what IVE seen and also Sim craft.

    ..Then I realized it's Festerblight which does absurd numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  14. #14
    Festerblight is also only going to be viable if you're good at Standard Unholy; if you're crap at every other part of the spec, getting a feather and rolling strong diseases isn't going to be the magical silver bullet that catapults you to WOL Nirvana.

    It's why I encourage people to play what they're comfortable with, even if Festerblight is mathematically more DPS - it's only that way if you can perform that spec as well as whatever your current primary spec is, which is why I'm still frost.

    It's also the biggest issue with looking at Sims for 'what is best', because there is literally no physically possible way you can play as well as SimCraft does for those numbers.
    Vampire Zombie Werewolf

  15. #15
    I went unholy, I would strongly advise most 2H frost dk's post feather to start going unholy from 2H frost. I chose this route not because festerblight. I chose this route simply because I was getting complacent playing frost because of how absolutely boring it is to play post wotlk. I made this change once I got a gurth in 4.3 and am hoping the spec still stays strong in PVE for the rest of the expansion. I feel unholy is more engaging, especially festerblight, than frost ever has been since they changed to this specific rune system in 4.0. SO glad it is really viable right now.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    I went unholy, I would strongly advise most 2H frost dk's post feather to start going unholy from 2H frost. I chose this route not because festerblight. I chose this route simply because I was getting complacent playing frost because of how absolutely boring it is to play post wotlk. I made this change once I got a gurth in 4.3 and am hoping the spec still stays strong in PVE for the rest of the expansion. I feel unholy is more engaging, especially festerblight, than frost ever has been since they changed to this specific rune system in 4.0. SO glad it is really viable right now.
    That's... really a terrible reason to encourage people to change specs.

    'UR SPEC IS TOO EASY NUBSAUCE, UNHOLY IZ PRO. FESTER OR GTFO.'

    Here's an easy test, if any time you're trying to convince someone to exit their comfort zone, and the only argument you can produce is 'I feel...' Then... stop.

    There's many better posts with actual mathematical reasons and even a whole sticky on when and where to be Unholy, this is basically an attempt at glorified peer-pressure.

    And ain't nobody got time for that.
    Vampire Zombie Werewolf

  17. #17
    "FB is more engaging?" Wut? I agree, those are silly reasons.

    None of our specs are any more difficult than the others, but some definitely do perform better. Unholy will give you better results in a bulk of the encounters in Throne, with only a couple not really working out for it.

    Keeping a Frost and Unholy spec ready is advisable, since the stats are the same, and you can switch when you feel the need.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    That's... really a terrible reason to encourage people to change specs.

    'UR SPEC IS TOO EASY NUBSAUCE, UNHOLY IZ PRO. FESTER OR GTFO.'

    Here's an easy test, if any time you're trying to convince someone to exit their comfort zone, and the only argument you can produce is 'I feel...' Then... stop.

    There's many better posts with actual mathematical reasons and even a whole sticky on when and where to be Unholy, this is basically an attempt at glorified peer-pressure.

    And ain't nobody got time for that.
    He asked what he should do, I responded with my preference. The game shouldnt be about numbers it should be about what you actually enjoy playing. He is comfortable with frost...but is probably not playing it right if he is losing single target fights to DW frost dks. I enjoy unholy because it has more things to do on a regular basis. Frost I can just tunnel and push three buttons with the occasional fourth and fifth buttons. I have no option but to push five as unholy. also paying MORE attention to procs/buffs for festerblight at the beginning is definitely more engaging. As frost its just fucking tunnel and playing whackamole. It used to be engaging to the point that you needed to make decisions on what you pushed in a split second. Now you go through lulls of not getting RE procs and just sit there waiting to mash your buttons. The spec sucks with the new rune system everyone plays it because it is EASIER. that is a fact not opinion and is the reason why people continue to stay with it instead of going unholy.

    Here's a tip, anytime you feel like belittling someone because of their opinion...just remember opinions are like assholes, and they usually stink...including your own.

  19. #19
    Maybe you should keep your own opinion to yourself then, we deal in facts here.
    Vampire Zombie Werewolf

  20. #20
    Moderator Nyanmaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eschborn
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    Here's a tip, anytime you feel like belittling someone because of their opinion...just remember opinions are like assholes, and they usually stink...including your own.
    Well thank you, mine smells of roses and happiness.

    Let's not take it any further on the personal level. There's nothing wrong with expressing opinions. But slowly (or rapidly) drifting to personal vendettas is wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •