Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Has WoW Changed for the Better? A Poll on Specific Design Changes

WoW has seen many design changes over time. Given that enough time has past to evaluate and reflect on these specific design changes, I'd like to get the community's feelings on Blizzard's choices.

In answering the following questions, ask yourself whether you think these changes have been positive and good for the game.

Since MMO-Champion doesn't allow for multiple polls, I've made the poll on TeamLiquid:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...ntpage=75#1492

You do not need a TL account to vote. Anyone can vote. So please vote.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2013-04-25 at 12:20 PM.

Sampling bias, hoooo!

This data won't give you anything reflective, it's also going to be plagued with people who agree/disagree with things without proper knowledge and people answering things they know little about.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

A lot of controversy surrounding arenas? I enjoy them myself, I don't understand why a large amount of people disagree with them existing in the game.

slime

Deleted
    It's impossible to judge as there are too many points of view to look at it from.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexday14 View Post
    A lot of controversy surrounding arenas? I enjoy them myself, I don't understand why a large amount of people disagree with them existing in the game.
    The constant pvp tweaks and 'class balance' is a direct reflection of the arena system. Yes, tweaks were always made to classes, but they weren't usually so game-altering and/or frequent. *hotfix DK* *hotfix ret* *hotfix hotfix*

10+ Year Old Account
    He is asking for basic tendency... For that the selection is sufficient.

Every single topic could be handled separately afterwards to get a rather in-depth picture of them.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Sampling bias, hoooo!

This data won't give you anything reflective, it's also going to be plagued with people who agree/disagree with things without proper knowledge and people answering things they know little about.
    Sure, any self-selecting online poll will have some bias. But it's better than no information. For example, if something is 90-10 agree-disagree, it's quite unlikely in this case that there's enough bias that the true results would be that disagree wins.

But if the results are 40-60, then it's probably not possible to tell where the true value lies.

Some aspects are better, some not so much. Just basing my opinions on those poll options mine were pretty closely split 50/50 good and bad.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Why would anyone object to Blizzard selling Guardian Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    People probably think they should be rewards or even anniversary gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Because it allows people to effectively buy gold for real money. You may be OK with that. Or you can be OK with it because you see it as only a small amount of legalized gold buying. Then you can just vote "agree".

Or you might have a different reason, it doesn't matter, it's just agree or disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I think a simple yes or no answer is a bad thing, especially with the way some questions are phrased.

This one, for example.. I did not know that talent-trees are removed
    Then you can vote don't know or you can choose not to vote or you can read up on it. Feel free to discuss it on this thread if you want.

The reason why it's basically yes/no is because these issues have mostly been discussed to death. So if you want discussion you can find it, but a simple yes/no is usually harder to come by. This poll is intended to fill that gap.

Deleted
    all those gameplay questions and throw in Poll: Do you agree with Blizzard selling the Guardian Cub? for a quick one..

WoW had lots of QoL changes for the better, but at the same time the immersion and community crumbled because of those changes. Doing a dungeon was a whole lot quicker, but less rewarding imo. What made pugging great without any cross realm stuff is that you'd meet people and you know, become friends and play again for example. I don't think i've typed a single sentence in my last 10 daily heroics. Not like there's any need for it either.
    One thing i do know is that WoW will probably never be as epic anymore as it's first years.

Or maybe because i'm not 15 anymore!

I like how the ThatSpecialSnowflake of author asking provocative questions was stomped by the mass of us the normal players.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    I like how the ThatSpecialSnowflake of author asking provocative questions was stomped by the mass of us the normal players.
    ???

What does this even mean? Are you even aware of what's transpired?
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    ???

What does this even mean? Are you even aware of what's transpired?
    Well, there's several threads about nostalgia for old WoW. This thread was partly meant as a more objective way to summarize people's views on that.

Without looking at the biased poll... Overall the game has indeed changed for the better. Sure there are some changes I may not completely agree with, but I'll take the bad with the good I suppose. This game is always changing. Some of the things I may have not liked could likely get removed or changed, thus making it a little better, or things I do like may get changed or removed. Plus, something one person doesn't like, another person may like; so it's a tad selfish to get all pissy about certain changes (such as making an easy-mode of certain content, for one of many examples) and be all "mine mine mine!" about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    Without looking at the biased poll... Overall the game has indeed changed for the better. Sure there are some changes I may not completely agree with, but I'll take the bad with the good I suppose. This game is always changing. Some of the things I may have not liked could likely get removed or changed, thus making it a little better, or things I do like may get changed or removed. Plus, something one person doesn't like, another person may like; so it's a tad selfish to get all pissy about certain changes (such as making an easy-mode of certain content, for one of many examples) and be all "mine mine mine!" about it.
    Biased poll? How is it biased? Sure, all online polls have some self-selection bias, but there's nothing about my poll which makes it more bias than a typical online poll. It's not like the questions are worded in a biased way.

I thought it was a nice summarized poll that took into account most of the major subjective discussions that are here at Wowhead. Nice job OP.