Thread: Megaera strats

Megaera strats

In my current guild, they have 2 teams. One has been killing Magaera for a few weeks now with a strat that has varied slighty, and my group is going to be working on him this weekend. Normal mode btw.

My questions: Is it worthwhile to not kill blue? Is the added tank/raid damage worth not having to move nearly as much? If you've used a strat that kills, and doesn't kill blue, what was/were the biggest differences?

In the 1st group they kill blue twice, on the 5th, and 7th head. Obviously what dies last doesn't matter, but I've heard from a friend of mine that leaving blue up makes the fight MUCH easier. He's a tank though, so his PoV might be different from what mine will be as a MW. I've mentioned this while filling in for our 1st team on an alt, and the idea has basically been brushed off.

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice you guys can give on this matter.

It simplifies the fight in two ways:

1.) You only need to hit Green & Red
    2.) No ice patches (which can be troublesome for some raiders) - great so that the healers don't have to move

The downsides:

1.) The ice head melee hits faster (or harder?) -
    2.) The heads that you kill will hit harder (Elemental Blood of Megaera). You should be killing the heads with around 2-3 breaths on the tank, so this isn't any problem.

We do normal mode with 2 healers (disc/pally). Just use raid cooldowns on the last couple of rampages and it should be fine, only the rampage is "problematic".
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

In my previous guild we never killed the blue head. Only greens and reds. Yes tank damage gets a bit high towards the end, but nothing you cant manage.

15+ Year Old Account
    My guild never kills green (25m, where green is more annoying) and one thing to have your healers watch out for is getting big heals on whoever is tanking blue (or whichever head you don't kill) after the rampage. We've had a few wipes on later rampages where the group was at half health coming out of the rampage, and we didn't swap to healing the tank on the head with the speed buff after the rampage fast enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly it all seems to depend on the healing lineup in my experience on this guy. With a Disc priest, Mistweaver, and HPal (and lately just with the disc prist as the HPal's been absent) we did substantially better with B,R,B,R,G,R,B

The movement from frost isn't that bad as long as you have a set path people will take, and the ones with cinders clear it. Green's aoe was just too much for us around the 6th head since the other healers couldn't do much from the movement. The downside to the way we do it is by the 6-7th heads it's just constant movement (our Priest has some bad luck with getting one cinder after another.)

But the not killing blue strat is what everyone seems to say is better, so go figure!

The tanks also made a world of difference. Our pally tank on the red head and Druid on the blue was easier to heal than vice versa when we were trying to keep blue up. So there's something to take into consideration.

Hopefully it's a little insight if nothing else, I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot but I'm at work. Good luck to you though!

10+ Year Old Account
    On normal (10 and 25) 25m we always went G, B, R, G, B, R, G. This didn't prove difficult at all and we regularly 1 shot it until we started Heroic.

10m was with an alt team so I would equate this with regular 10m normal guilds. We had severe difficulty with different variations of heads. We ended up going G, R, G, R, B, R, G. This was because the tank damage from Blue was just too much for our tanks to handle (undergeared 490-500 ilvl). After we started killing blue in the middle of the fight the only problem we ran into was when one healer would get chosen for Ice, make use of external tank cooldowns (Pain Sup, Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Purity etc.) and it smoothed out.

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    My guild never kills green (25m, where green is more annoying) and one thing to have your healers watch out for is getting big heals on whoever is tanking blue (or whichever head you don't kill) after the rampage. We've had a few wipes on later rampages where the group was at half health coming out of the rampage, and we didn't swap to healing the tank on the head with the speed buff after the rampage fast enough.
    Easiest for my 25 guild is to go G > R > G > R > B > G > R

The aoe poison bombs are not a problem. We stay spread when he's not in rampage, and people near the impact location just move. Not that much damage. Predictable and spread damage is much easier to deal with than ice clogging up the area and potentially causing problems.

did only G>R>G>R>G>R>G - we start Bloodlust during 5th Rampage (last Red head) - from this time on we dispel cinders nearly instant (cause healing against it isn't managable while keeping the raid up and 2-3 ticks will kill people - on top of a poison bomb nearly instant death)
    We use all our Raid Def CDs during Rampages and I hold on to Rivival till something "bad" happens - I use TFT during Head-Times to keep the raid up during all the poison bombs ....where as my 2 other healers (shami and diszi) mostly do the rampage and tankhealing work

We had problems too - our key was it, to utilize all our raid cds during rampages (including dps-classes like rouges smokebomb and so on) => so we had enough ressources to keep up the raid during head-phases (the last two are harder to heal then the 5th and 6th ramapges in my opinion)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8803&e=9310