Blink in Silvershard Mine

any one tired of this? i hope they fix it soon

Posting in a "fix blink" thread.

Either this thread will feel the fury of shangbangs or swizzbots and get shut down since blink being broken and mages wanting it fixed has been an issue of the class since the beginning of time (literally, since the very first beginning of WoW) and so making a new thread about it is neither new or interesting...

OR

This will turn into an epic thread where purely the Blink spell is discussed.
    Where what's wrong with the spell, how can we fix it, how it can be evolved for todays WoW will all be the sorts of things that are discussed.

Either way, I wanted to post in a "fix blink" thread just for the record, esp if they lock it :P

That aside...
    From what I understood, blizz has 'tried' to evolve the Blink idea, as early as just a patch ago.

For those who remember, Blink in 5.2 was being 'replaced' (lol.. just try to take it blizz) by one of the incarnations of Blazing speed (it wasn't bad this temporary incarnation of BS, it just wasn't good enough to replace Blink).

However, lets take a quick step back for just one second. Other classes have 'movement' spells too and in those other classes, the player can talent to evolve this base spell in some way.

E.g. roll -> chi torpedo for monks, or the entire 'charge tier' for warriors.

Maybe looking into ways to evolve the blink spell is a good idea, for example, while it is very often never talked about, the glyph of momentum actually does a good job of doing something which, imho, should be baked into the spell wholesale (though I can see "traditionalists" wanting the option to turn off momentum blinking - hence bringing us back to square 1).

Either way, Blink needs to evolve. That much I think is for sure. Obviously there are things about it that mages don't like, e.g. when it doesn't work (see OP), but still, even beyond just 'bug fixes', I think the spell could use some love in general.. just to bring it into the 'modern' era of WoW.

We must remember... Blink, in its current form, is one of the oldest spells in the game as well as being the spell that is basically in the exact same form as it was when it was introduced in the game back in vanilla beta! It is this second point that is quite poignant I think.
    Every other mage spell has changed in some way shape or form, be it even in small things like icon updates (mage armor got a new icon!).

Blink, however, may actually end up being the single most arcane spell in the game.

Now the fact that it hasn't changed much isn't necessarily a bad thing. The spell is a good, solid, iconic, mage spell.

However, it needs to evolve now. It is getting left behind.

I, for one, liked the version of Blink in the MoP beta, where it was like a 'powerslide' kind of situation (which wasn't bad). The original version of the momentum glyph that is.
    Last edited by zomgDPS; 2013-04-25 at 08:05 PM.
    "There are very few who can claim what he can. There are even fewer who can prove it like he can. There are even less that can match him, but all will no doubt accept what he is, and what he can do. The Highlord is for sure one of a kind. A true Master of the Arcane arts. It would be best for you to listen."
    - Lady Nåabi of the Immortalis, former Guild Executor, former Raid Lead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please enlighten me what's wrong with Blink in silvershard mines? My mage is currently lvl 88 and don't have access to the BG. I reckon it's because of all the ground going up and down and etc? If that's the case, then that should be fixed, but Blink as a whole should be left alone.

Why change something wich isn't necessarily broken? If you use Blink correctly, you won't have trouble with it, if you're stupid enough to use it when facing an obstacle, then ye, expect to fail your Blink.

Lets do as Zomgdps says. Lets change a working spell, just because we want a change.

Seriously?

And whats wrong with Blink in SSM? That you fail to use it correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Please enlighten me what's wrong with Blink in silvershard mines?
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    And whats wrong with Blink in SSM? That you fail to use it correctly?
    It seems like Mages (if these two are indeed mages) aren't as well informed about the shortcomings of Blink as I would have hoped. They cannot be mages, since EVERYONE who has every played a mage knows the issue with Blink.

That being said, the issue with Blink is easy to describe and easy to see. In a nutshell, the issue with Blink is that sometimes it just straight up doesn't work. You press the button and you stay exactly where you are!

Through years of trial and error mages discovered the issue occurred due to any small perturbations and/or outcrops in the terrain. In mines, this manifests in the form of the grating irons they have near the center of the cavern. Blinking near and/or around and/or into/out of the metallic grates prevents Blink from actually working, hence keeping the mage exactly where he is.

Blink also bugs out on slight inclined slopes and or other such small variations in the terrain. It also bugs out on indoor/outdoor boundaries.

The issue is well known, well documented, well discussed, and has already been confirmed as a bug by the Devs, so I'm not quite sure what you want to argue about DPA? (To be honest, I smell the foul stench of troll ichor on you!).

The only real question either of you has asked is:

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Why change something wich isn't necessarily broken?
    You can put your b!tchforks away since no one is taking away your Blink. And no one is changing it. The point was to evolve it (I felt I got that point across since I bolded the word like 9k+ times in my previous post).

The glyph of momentum is an evolution of Blink. I was suggesting doing something to evolve the spell further. Perhaps into the realm where we can preserve its current strengths but also reduce its pitfalls, like the bugs it has.

The need to evolve Blink is clear, since almost all other 'movement mechanics' that Blink competed in the 'mobility arms race' with have also evolved. The Warrior's Charge being the prime example. The rogues and their new sprints are another.

What I find perplexing however, is how even the thought of discussing evolutions to Blink are met with such fervent counter-zeal. There is nothing wrong with discussing possible directions a spell can evolve.
    Its almost as if some people think that just by talking about something, it will happen. Heck, if that was the case, the mage class would have been fixed perfect a loong time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Lets do as Zomgdps says.
    As a side point, this is almost always a good idea. Just so you know... you know, for the record.
    "There are very few who can claim what he can. There are even fewer who can prove it like he can. There are even less that can match him, but all will no doubt accept what he is, and what he can do. The Highlord is for sure one of a kind. A true Master of the Arcane arts. It would be best for you to listen."
    - Lady Nåabi of the Immortalis, former Guild Executor, former Raid Lead.