Thread: EA Layoffs

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

EA Layoffs

Well it wasn't hard to see that this was coming.

http://kotaku.com/layoffs-at-ea-today-481149396
    http://www.ea.com/news/ea-organizational-update

Best wishes and sympathies to everyone getting pink slips.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

ehh stories like this used to get my jimmy's rustled, but then I realized it's almost impossible to tell if it's just a company being dicks, or just projects coming to the end of their development.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Well apparently they are reaping the seeds they have sewn. Shitty business practices often result in a reduction of profit. Just a damn shame that these people are the ones paying for it and its not the numbskulls making the decisions at EA, but maybe that is exactly who has gotten the axe, or we can only hope.

I feel like working at lower levels has become a very risky ventures. This is like the 4th or 5th round of serious layoffs in the past year. Hopefully those who lost jobs can find new ones somewhere a bit more stable.

As for EA proper, I hope their executives get a paycut. They're the ones who have caused this situation (Riccitiello is gone now with his golden parachute so he didn't get slapped) and they should share in the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    ehh stories like this used to get my jimmy's rustled, but then I realized it's almost impossible to tell if it's just a company being dicks, or just projects coming to the end of their development.
    It can be both, those aren't mutually exclusive. In A LOT of industries now a days the notion of working you're whole career in one or two firms is long gone. A project comes up, they find over qualified people starving for a job, they do an awesome job (because they think they might get brought on in a perm. position), the job comes to an end, they're laid off. I see it nearly every week, if not daily, in my line of work
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious about which studios are impacted... Though I bet they wouldn't be hard to guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fewer people producing shit products for a shit company? Cant say Im the least bit disappointed really.

I've hated EA since they bought Westwood and then proceeded to gut them.

Too bad the little guys on the totem pole have to pay the price though.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This just in:

All members of SWTOR's development team have been fired except for the Cartel Market reskinners

Also in:

None of this is EA's fault. You can blame those homophobic crazy petition makers for ruining their company by getting people to not buy their products.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Also in:

None of this is EA's fault. You can blame those homophobic crazy petition makers for ruining their company by getting people to not buy their products.
    I knew it! Well, at least they are still unbowed.

We get to see this regulary. The game industry has become a terrible place to work.
    Publishers hire large amounts of people to push more stuff out faster( with worse quality you cant utilize new staff without a learning period). After their respective projects are done they get fired. Not every project has a follow up so you can fear for your job everytime your current project is done.

So many layoffs... hopefully it won't affect the games I'm looking forward too.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    As for EA proper, I hope their executives get a paycut.
    I approve this idea. Layoffs happening because of the higher up's making bad calls is rather shitty in my book.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me all the bells ringing are from maxis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    For me all the bells ringing are from maxis.
    I must admit to being curious if Lucy is among the fallen.

EA partners label (portal 2 and left for dead) is being shut down. You know the ones that produce decent and original content?
    Last edited by skitzin; 2013-04-26 at 04:51 AM.

You agree to work for a shitpile company, you get the consequences. I don't feel THAT bad for people who get fired for the blame shifting, you know obviously the people at the top aren't going to admit their bad decisions.

Maybe some day companies will think twice when EA decides to offer them some cash to own their asses. EA is probably going to put unrealistic deadlines on you, make you shove bullshit "features" that you never wanted in to your games and then off you when the sure to fail product fails. And yet each new company falls for the short-sighted money.

You make a deal with the devil, you reap the rewards.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2013-04-26 at 06:01 AM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I'm curious about which studios are impacted... Though I bet they wouldn't be hard to guess.
    these are the guys I'm worried about, hopefully they can bounce back. I like companies like Riot, Anet and Valve. Quality companies making quality products. Not EA who seem to fu*k things over, just look at the latest Simcity 5 fiasco. That shameful shipping a broken product with the most core feature not working.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    This just in:

All members of SWTOR's development team have been fired except for the Cartel Market reskinners
    Source? Or you just like spreading lies?

Deleted
    I've seen two mentions of Valve (Left 4 Dead, Portal 2) products and Valve themselves in this thread in relation to EA. I'm confused, what relevance does EA layoffs have to these entities?