Thread: EA Layoffs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    EA partners label (portal 2 and left for dead) is being shut down. You know the ones that produce decent and original content?
    They don't produce anything. They just market and publish the titles. So while they do serve a necessary function for these games, they aren't involved in the creation of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    I've seen two mentions of Valve (Left 4 Dead, Portal 2) products and Valve themselves in this thread in relation to EA. I'm confused, what relevance does EA layoffs have to these entities?
    They were published in retail by the EA Partners group, which is rumored to be shutting down. Meaning any subsequent Valve games would need to find another retail distributor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    Source? Or you just like spreading lies?
    He has made a wonderful thing call a joke, here is what 'joke' means.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=joke

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    Source? Or you just like spreading lies?
    Yes, I'm clearly spreading lies. Here's a friendly link for you. I suggest you give it a look!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HavocPrime View Post
    He has made a wonderful thing call a joke, here is what 'joke' means.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=joke
    derp...I didn't see this before I posted. We think alike!
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be surprised if Maxis and BioWare both feel the pain from this one. Reads like EA is really spreading it around.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen two mentions of Valve (Left 4 Dead, Portal 2) products and Valve themselves in this thread in relation to EA. I'm confused, what relevance does EA layoffs have to these entities?
    If I recall correctly, EA published The Orange Box and Portal on consoles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    They were published in retail by the EA Partners group, which is rumored to be shutting down. Meaning any subsequent Valve games would need to find another retail distributor.
    I would hope a company like Valve would have no problem finding another publisher, or finding a way to publish it themselves. I'm right to not be concerned about that, right?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Popcap and Quicklime, two confirmed studios completely shut down in this round of layoffs (source)

Though I have no idea who quicklime is, it's further proof why people dislike EA as a company. They just bought them out in January and 3 months later none of them have jobs. Piss poor management at it's finest.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Popcap and Quicklime, two confirmed studios completely shut down in this round of layoffs (source)

Though I have no idea who quicklime is, it's further proof why people dislike EA as a company. They just bought them out in January and 3 months later none of them have jobs. Piss poor management at it's finest.
    Damn it, Popcap used to make amazing games.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Damn it, Popcap used to make amazing games.
    Before EA bought them, yes they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

One of Popcaps studios was shut down. IIRC they opened at least one additional studio after being purchased by EA.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    One of Popcaps studios was shut down. IIRC they opened at least one additional studio after being purchased by EA.
    It's what EA does and has been doing for decades.
    * Buy gaming studio
    * Claim rights to intellectual property.
    * Take a few workers and fire everyone else
    * Close studio
    * Endlessly create version 2,3,4,5,6,7 of the same game with minor to no additional features.

I'll never understand how they managed to survive for as long as they have.
    For the sake of gaming innovation and indy games, I hope they disappear real soon.

R.I.P Bullfrog. We'll never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    * Buy gaming studio
    * Close studio
    * Endlessly create version 2,3,4,5,6,7 of the same game with minor to no additional features.

For the sake of gaming innovation and indy games, I hope they disappear real soon.

Because people buy their shitty games and play them? Doesnt matter its 15th part of same series with no changes and 1000x more paid dlc in it.

Who wants to buy an original mint condition Dungeon Keeper CD + CD-Case? NEVERRRRRRR it's priceless to me!@

buhuhuh /cry

Still have the original for C&C and C&C Red Alert too

* Buy gaming studio
    * Close studio

People allow it to happen, that's the basic reason.

I generally like to think that most negativities in certain groups are only vocal minorities, but from what I've seen, it really does seem like most gamers are complete idiots.

From those who always go out and by the latest "addition" to the BlackWarsofCallingDuty 223-3 Zombie electric boogaloo, or Generic Sports Game 20XX.

Then there are those idiots who will look at their favorite franchise that has been run into the ground for X reason and defend it to all hell. Or those mentally inept bastards who follow any magazine/review site religously and buy whatever game they are paid to say is the greatest thing ever.

I realize that a large portion of the gaming community are children who wouldn't know taste if they had three tongues, but still, there's no excuse that EA is still a thing.

I've also noticed a large increase in just general bullshit you see with some game developers. When a game comes out that severly tanks for whatever reason, try and find a developer interview. Oh God, it's like chewing on barbed wire. They just go on and on about how great the game is going to be, how they are "innovating" the way we look at games.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh damn, Dungeon Keeper was such a great game.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Who wants to buy an original mint condition Dungeon Keeper CD + CD-Case? NEVERRRRRRR it's priceless to me!@

buhuhuh /cry

Still have the original for C&C and C&C Red Alert too
    I got a mint theme park here,. sadly with the EA logo on there already as the publisher...
    But it's still bullfrog :P
    It's a shame that game was so buggy, it was pretty fun "when it worked".

Wish I had a syndicate box though. T_T
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfrog_Productions
    Last edited by bbr; 2013-05-06 at 09:30 PM.