Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I don't care when someone is preferred, but usually it sucks when (generally, or because someone else is preferred) someone is treated worse for no reason.

But, the only time I've seen that since school, is in WoW. The girlfriend of an officer of us was preferred by him over anyone else when it came to giving raidspots / loot and so on. Being the guild and raid leader I intervened, but obviously too late, since the drama already started.

And in school: We had some teachers extremely preferring some students. I specifically remember one I had from 6. to 8. grade, which had in each class one person which she preferred over anyone else. Those were generally not even the best students of their class, which usually get preferred by teachers. My brother had the same teacher too and had the luck of being "the one" in his class.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarela View Post
    I'm a latin american woman in Europe and I've never recieved any special treatment because of that.

People here talk a lot about the benefits of inmigrants and actually think we have like some sort of magic access to stuff, and it's all a myth, because I've been here for 4 years now and I live my life just like the european guy next door.
    Where in Europe is that? I have never heard anyone saying that except a handful people on these forums.

I'm a white male and it really bothers me when I get it. Where I grew up literally all of my friends except for one guy were either from Vietnam or were black and it makes me pretty upset when I go do things with them and they're treated completely differently than I am sometimes. Some people are racist without even meaning to be I think because it happens all the time they'll avoid talking to the people I'm with or be very short with them compared to me. Sometimes worse they'll completely ignore them even if spoken to or give them terrible service. Even had a few people go all out with racial slurs etc for no apparent reason. Newer friends I make are like that sometimes too and when I say something they deny it until I point out exactly what they did. Its like a learned behavior or something.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2013-04-26 at 01:30 PM.

Deleted
    I get preferential treatment all the time because i'm sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    When I was in K-12 school we called these people "teachers pets".
    and then, in the workplace, we call them "the boss".

don't delude yourself into thinking that hard work or education or experience matters more than being friends with the right people. how many people here have bosses who are less qualified than they are?

I speak to people in a reasonable manner and am polite unless I am given a reason not to be. I pay all of my bills on time. I have a very high credit rating. I don't speak like a ghetto thug. I dress appropriately for the occasion. If all of this means I receive preferential treatment over someone else that has no credit, doesn't pay bills, breeds like a cockroach, can't speak their native language worth a damn, doesn't know how to interact with others appropriately, etc., then sure, I am "privileged".

All of this BS about preferential treatment has a lot less to do with race/gender, and a lot more to do with personal faults of the individual.

Yes but only on a small scale.

My dad worked a lot with various community groups and got to meet various power players in the town which resulted in various under the table deals. I've gotten 2 jobs that way. My brother was good friends with someone at the local YMCA and got me a third job. He also knew some of the high school teachers and once he scheduled a trip during exam week. He got the teachers to give me the exams earlier a day or two earlier than the rest of the class so I could go on the trip. After we got back we found out the principal found out and the teachers got in trouble. However, all this was 20 years ago when I was a teenager so it's been a long time since anything has happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    The special treatment celebrities get, is only worth it, if your celebrity is tied to wealth. Otherwise, I'd much rather blend in...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Where in Europe is that? I have never heard anyone saying that except a handful people on these forums.
    Spain.
    Granted, not all the people I've met in Spain think that way, but a LOT of people do... they actually think that inmigrants who open up business have to pay less taxes than a spaniard. which is a lot of BS.