Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
LastLast
  1. #161
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Meiluy View Post
    True, they needed to create 81-85 zones... that logic can be applied, just as well, to new races. Either way they have to spend effort making SOMETHING new, either class or race. So if they don't have the resources to make a new race, then they don't have the resources to make a new class (Which we've already discussed requires MORE resources than a race). Your own logic defeats you on that argument. And why do you keep using the length of time it takes them to complete dwarves as an indicator that the others aren't near completion as well? They are working on them all at the same time, not one at a time. If the dwarves would have been 100% at MoP launch, and the others only 80% complete (yes, speculation, but making an example), the statement that only the dwarves were ready is still correct, AND the others would be done by this point. Stop assuming that they take so much time to complete that we can't possibly have more races.
    It can't be applied to races because Blizzard HAS to make new leveling content for max level players in an expansion. It doesn't need to make a new race for an expansion. One is a necessity, the other is not.





    Why does what happened this past expansion dictate what has to happen with the next? It doesn't. As I said last post, they can choose to do whatever they want regarding what they give us. If anything, I'd say one new neutral race PLUS the new models for the old races sounds about right. And no, a new race would NOT be overshadowed by new models on existing races. Once again we enter the land of OPINION, and mine is new models don't have the draw that a new race does.
    .

    Again you ignore common sense. Why would Blizzard sink development time into developing 1 new neutral race when they're working on 8 vanilla race remodels? Doesn't that seem kind of pointless when we both know that all the attention race-wise is going to be on the new models, and that all the future race concepts are lackluster?

    Worgen, Goblins, and Pandaren are the lowest played races in the game. You really think another new neutral race is going to shine in the next expansion when we have newly remodeled Humans, Orcs, Trolls, and Night Elves? Again, it would be a waste of developer time. Yeah, that's an opinion, but its a sound opinion that few would disagree with.



    Yes, and I have two reasons.

    1: The official World of Warcraft forums have a larger, and more diverse, user base than the MMO Champion Forums.
    2: The World of Warcraft forums don't have a large amount of threads in which we've been bickering back and forth, so people are more likely to view the question on fresh terms
    Actually the official forums isn't more diverse than these forums. These forums include inactive WoW players, and players from outside the US. On the US official forums, Eu players couldn't post their opinions because they wouldn't have an NA BNET account. This forum provides a much better sample of players than the official forum would. Also, its common sense that WoW players would prefer remodeled vanilla races to new races. The vanilla models are the most popular races in WoW. You honestly believe that a new race concept beats out Humans, Orcs, and the other vanilla races? C'mon now.




    True, they've said a number of things, in the past, regarding several topics. Some of those things are in game, some of them aren't. You might notice that the same thing they said about Pandarens was also said about Demon Hunters... mainly that they were no plans for them to be in the game at the time. That's neither confirmation nor negation.
    I would say that GCs response about DHs was pretty much a negation to them being included in the game. Pandaren were a given to eventually be included as a playable race.

    You sure about that? The example I gave about EQ covers that one pretty well. When that expansion came out, it out sold the others released at the time. Clearly THEY didn't think the expansion was deficient even though it added no new classes or races, just new zones to explore with more story. Blizzard has more people working on this than SOE had at the time, and they could very easily give us an expansion that focuses entirely on 91-95 content, and it would sell.
    Again, this isn't EQ, this is WoW. It's smarter to compare a future WoW expansions to other WoW expansions, not to an inferior game.

    I think it's bad logic to assume that because they are doing the remodels, they won't make new races for the expansion. You are not allowing for the possibility of new races because of something which HAS NO CONNECTION. Everything that is relating to the new Expansion is handled by a specific team to it. These new models are as of right now NOT connected to the new expansion, but rather their own thing. Until Blizzard announces them as a feature specific to the new expansion, they should be considered their own thing. As such, they have their own team, separate from the expansion team. So their existence takes NO resources from the expansion team. What part of that don't you understand?
    Um, remodeling the old vanilla models is just like designing new races for the game. Blizzard may be designing new skeletons for some of the old races, adding new animations, and more textures. So in essence Blizzard is designing 8 new races for the game.

    What part do you not understand? Whether or not these are considered part of the next expansion is pretty irrelevant. These remodels clearly take work and development time to complete. Work and development time that takes away from developing new races for the game. Again, this should be common sense.

    I have one question for you, then. If this class concept is so original, why do so many people ask you what this class offers that isn't in engineering? Sounds to me like the originality you claim to have isn't actually there.
    Just because people are ignorant about the Tinker doesn't mean that the class isn't original and unique. I mean, we're talking about people who cant differentiate between a profession from a class.

    The concept is highly unique and original. Please name another class in WoW that comes close to the tinker thematically. Please name another class that is as different from existing classes as the tinker. Good luck.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-05-30 at 12:44 PM.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    It can't be applied to races because Blizzard HAS to make new leveling content for max level players in an expansion. It doesn't need to make a new race for an expansion. One is a necessity, the other is not.
    I think my comparison was perfect, as they had the time to rework the entirety of Azeroth (make new player models) AND add new zones (new races) in the same expansion. By the way, the necessity in an expansion is new content. Your own logic for dictating we don't need a new race is easily applied to a new class too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Again you ignore common sense. Why would Blizzard sink development time into developing 1 new neutral race when they're working on 8 vanilla race remodels? Doesn't that seem kind of pointless when we both know that all the attention race-wise is going to be on the new models, and that all the future race concepts are lackluster?

    Worgen, Goblins, and Pandaren are the lowest played races in the game. You really think another new neutral race is going to shine in the next expansion when we have newly remodeled Humans, Orcs, Trolls, and Night Elves? Again, it would be a waste of developer time. Yeah, that's an opinion, but its a sound opinion that few would disagree with.
    Least played races due to appearing later in the game lifespan when people have other characters already made. Your argument isn't incorrect as much as influenced by outside events, making them an unfair comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Actually the official forums isn't more diverse than these forums. These forums include inactive WoW players, and players from outside the US. On the US official forums, Eu players couldn't post their opinions because they wouldn't have an NA BNET account. This forum provides a much better sample of players than the official forum would. Also, its common sense that WoW players would prefer remodeled vanilla races to new races. The vanilla models are the most popular races in WoW. You honestly believe that a new race concept beats out Humans, Orcs, and the other vanilla races? C'mon now.
    And I disagree about it being common sense that people would prefer a new look on something they have compared to new gameplay/lore/story etc that comes with a new race. As someone posted either here or in the thread you linked (Yes, I read through a few posts) people will LOVE the new models... then promptly forget about them within a week. Much like the Cata redesigned zones, they quickly become remembered as normal, with nothing special about them. Why would Blizzard focus all their effort in something that people are going to only "ooh" and "ahh" over for a few months at most, as opposed to a new race or two, which will give people more options come character creation time. Also, plenty of people race change existing characters over to new races, and why would Blizzard say no to those people paying money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I would say that GCs response about DHs was pretty much a negation to them being included in the game. Pandaren were a given to eventually be included as a playable race.
    His responses regarding DHs are almost EXACTLY what he was saying about Pandaren back in BC and Wrath. The Pandaren were a joke race that only got included because the people demanded it. Don't argue against that, as it's part of their history (Started out as an April Fools joke, inserted in an expansion as a courtesy to the millions of fans who loved the joke and really wanted them in). They were NOT a given, and questions regarding them at panels and Blizzcon were generally treated with disdain up until a few years ago. I see much nicer reactions regarding DHs than we ever got for Pandaren prior to their announcement of MoP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Again, this isn't EQ, this is WoW. It's smarter to compare a future WoW expansions to other WoW expansions, not to an inferior game.
    EQ is the history upon which WoW was built. You really want to call the game that was the basis for the mechanics of most classes (rogue energy and combo points, mana, cast bars, 1.5 second global cooldown in general), and has lasted for 6 years longer than WoW, 'inferior'? Know your roots, boy, and show them respect. We would not have WoW if it wasn't for EQ. And as WoW has taken so much from EQ, it is the PERFECT example when referring to what Blizzard CAN do in regards to expansions. Keep in mind, EQ is still putting out expansions, their last one came out this past November.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Um, remodeling the old vanilla models is just like designing new races for the game. Blizzard may be designing new skeletons for some of the old races, adding new animations, and more textures. So in essence Blizzard is designing 8 new races for the game.

    What part do you not understand? Whether or not these are considered part of the next expansion is pretty irrelevant. These remodels clearly take work and development time to complete. Work and development time that takes away from developing new races for the game. Again, this should be common sense.
    Except they aren't reworking starting zones, they aren't adding/changing quests, they aren't designing new racial abilities, and they aren't adding new voices, jokes or flirts. The only thing they're doing is changing the models, changing/adding animations, and MAYBE making new skeletons (though I doubt that, as they didn't for Vol'Jin or Thrall when they got their remodel). Most development time goes into the stuff they are NOT doing for the remodels.

    And once again you keep on missing the point of my argument: They have different teams working on this remodel than they do on the expansion. This project has no effect on the expansion team! It does NOT take away any resources/development time/work/staff from the expansion team, who could very easily be working on races!

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Just because people are ignorant about the Tinker doesn't mean that the class isn't original and unique. I mean, we're talking about people who cant differentiate between a profession from a class.

    The concept is highly unique and original. Please name another class in WoW that comes close to the tinker thematically. Please name another class that is as different from existing classes as the tinker. Good luck.
    Well, all of your descriptions seem to lead people to think more of Engineering than a class, so maybe you should rework your entire approach. The problem is, most of the stuff you list has been modified and added to the game as either engineering devices/tinkers, or as racials. But every time someone points these out to you, you ignore them with the rebuttal "the Tinker is different, cause it does [insert unmodified ability, typically overpowered and nowhere near balanced for the game]"

    Monk: A class that specializes in unarmed strikes, as well as focusing their life energy, or "Chi" to allow them to summon up the power of the four "gods" that the Pandaren give faith to.

    Warlock: A class that specializes in harnessing the power of Demons, enslaving some to their will for the purpose of battle, and invoking the power of others for curses, blasts of fire or shadows, draining a foe's health, or even BECOMING a demon themselves for a small time.

    Druid: A class that specializes in harnessing the power of Nature, allowing them the gift of wildshape, and ability that grants them access to the power and forms of nature's form. They also use the abilities to grant them a selection of spells focused from sun and moon, and spells that heal wounds using the power of nature.

    Shaman: A class that specializes in harnessing the power of the Spirits... etc

    Hunter: A class focused around using a ranged weapon and using a wild animal tamed by the hunter themselves...etc

    There's five that are THEMATICALLY as unique as your Tinker class. Keep in mind, you challenge was for thematic uniqueness, not mechanic. I haven't played a Hunter or Shaman high enough level to be able to spruce up their entries. Keep in mind, each class, for the most part, has a unique Theme to them. DK's are the risen soldiers of old, using the power of death to hurt their foes while protecting their allies. Paladins are the holy soldiers, trained in the power of the Light to strike down evil, and save the innocent. Mages are the keepers of power arcane, summoning fire, ice or pure magical energy to their command. Rogues are the shadows at our back, either stealing our coin or stabbing us when we least expect it: luckily they can work for us just as easily.

  3. #163
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Meiluy View Post
    I think my comparison was perfect, as they had the time to rework the entirety of Azeroth (make new player models) AND add new zones (new races) in the same expansion. By the way, the necessity in an expansion is new content. Your own logic for dictating we don't need a new race is easily applied to a new class too.
    Actually its not. We've had expansions where there is no new race. There's never been an expansion where Blizzard doesn't add content and additional levels for max level players.This comparison is actually worse than your Everquest comparison.

    Least played races due to appearing later in the game lifespan when people have other characters already made. Your argument isn't incorrect as much as influenced by outside events, making them an unfair comparison.
    Actually its due to new players almost always choosing that which they're most familiar with. That would be Humans and Elves since they look the most human on either faction. Blood Elves for example are by far the most popular race on the Horde, and they were introduced after the original 4 Horde races.

    So if your goal is to bring in new players, what would you do? Make the Human and Elf model look better, or bring in some crazy race that most people aren't even going to play? Seriously, what races are even left to be made into playable races? Ogres? Ethereal? Furlongs? You think anyone is just itching to get their hands on something like that instead of a better looking Human or Blood Elf model? Please.

    You see this thread;

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Alliance-race

    Guess which race is winning? Yeah, Elves. Mainly because they look like this;



    The vast majority of players want to look like hot and sexy people. Not bandaged mummies with energy coming out of them, or fat ugly ogres. Just how it is.

    Want to bet that if I make a Horde version and include the Vrykul, they'd win that poll as well?

    And I disagree about it being common sense that people would prefer a new look on something they have compared to new gameplay/lore/story etc that comes with a new race. As someone posted either here or in the thread you linked (Yes, I read through a few posts) people will LOVE the new models... then promptly forget about them within a week. Much like the Cata redesigned zones, they quickly become remembered as normal, with nothing special about them. Why would Blizzard focus all their effort in something that people are going to only "ooh" and "ahh" over for a few months at most, as opposed to a new race or two, which will give people more options come character creation time. Also, plenty of people race change existing characters over to new races, and why would Blizzard say no to those people paying money.
    So using that argument, why bother creating any new races at all since people are going to forget about them after a week? It works both ways. Either races interest people or they don't.

    Of course you go on to contradict your own argument in the same paragraph. So races matter now? Okay, so what would a race-changing player more likely to race change to? The most popular races in Warcraft, or some weird new race that they know nothing about?

    His responses regarding DHs are almost EXACTLY what he was saying about Pandaren back in BC and Wrath. The Pandaren were a joke race that only got included because the people demanded it. Don't argue against that, as it's part of their history (Started out as an April Fools joke, inserted in an expansion as a courtesy to the millions of fans who loved the joke and really wanted them in). They were NOT a given, and questions regarding them at panels and Blizzcon were generally treated with disdain up until a few years ago. I see much nicer reactions regarding DHs than we ever got for Pandaren prior to their announcement of MoP.
    I'm pretty sure that Blizzard said that Pandaren were planned to be the actual new races in TBC. How do you equate GC pretty much saying that there's no space for Demon Hunter as a class to a race that was almost considered for implementation numerous times?

    Here is an example of one of Blizzard's responses regarding Pandaren implementation;

    Katricia (Donna Anthony): "Maybe they will be found in the beta or retail version of the game and maybe they will be granted a special place in an expansion. Just imagine how exciting it will be to find one!" and "pandaren will not be a playable race ... at this time. Will they make cameo appearances in the game as NPCs? Some things are best left unanswered I think "
    http://www.wowpedia.org/History_of_pandaren_in_Warcraft

    That was from 2006.

    EQ is the history upon which WoW was built. You really want to call the game that was the basis for the mechanics of most classes (rogue energy and combo points, mana, cast bars, 1.5 second global cooldown in general), and has lasted for 6 years longer than WoW, 'inferior'? Know your roots, boy, and show them respect. We would not have WoW if it wasn't for EQ. And as WoW has taken so much from EQ, it is the PERFECT example when referring to what Blizzard CAN do in regards to expansions. Keep in mind, EQ is still putting out expansions, their last one came out this past November.
    Yeah, EQ is inferior to WoW on just about every level. Deal with it.


    Except they aren't reworking starting zones, they aren't adding/changing quests, they aren't designing new racial abilities, and they aren't adding new voices, jokes or flirts. The only thing they're doing is changing the models, changing/adding animations, and MAYBE making new skeletons (though I doubt that, as they didn't for Vol'Jin or Thrall when they got their remodel). Most development time goes into the stuff they are NOT doing for the remodels.
    Since we know next to nothing about the remodels, how do you know they aren't designing new racial abilities, new voices, jokes, or flirts? Also how do you know that the starting quests for the 8 original WoW races are going to remain the same after the events in MoP?

    Oh yeah, you don't.

    And once again you keep on missing the point of my argument: They have different teams working on this remodel than they do on the expansion. This project has no effect on the expansion team! It does NOT take away any resources/development time/work/staff from the expansion team, who could very easily be working on races!
    So when this remodel team isn't working on remodeling the old 8 WoW races, what are they doing? Are they sitting around playing ping pong? When the remodels are finished, is this entire team going to the unemployment line?


    Well, all of your descriptions seem to lead people to think more of Engineering than a class, so maybe you should rework your entire approach. The problem is, most of the stuff you list has been modified and added to the game as either engineering devices/tinkers, or as racials. But every time someone points these out to you, you ignore them with the rebuttal "the Tinker is different, cause it does [insert unmodified ability, typically overpowered and nowhere near balanced for the game]"
    Oh, you mean the argument when people say that these two abilities....

    Engineering Specialization: Engineering skill increased by 15.
    Engineering Upgrade: mproves other Tinker abilities with each level learned:
    Cluster Rockets - Larger Area.
    Pocket Factory - Builds Clockwerk Goblins more quickly.
    Robo-Goblin - Increases armor and Strength; enhances Demolish.

    Also gives bonus damage and increases the Tinker's movement speed.
    ...are the same abilities? Do I really need to rebut something that blatantly stupid?


    There's five that are THEMATICALLY as unique as your Tinker class. Keep in mind, you challenge was for thematic uniqueness, not mechanic. I haven't played a Hunter or Shaman high enough level to be able to spruce up their entries. Keep in mind, each class, for the most part, has a unique Theme to them. DK's are the risen soldiers of old, using the power of death to hurt their foes while protecting their allies. Paladins are the holy soldiers, trained in the power of the Light to strike down evil, and save the innocent. Mages are the keepers of power arcane, summoning fire, ice or pure magical energy to their command. Rogues are the shadows at our back, either stealing our coin or stabbing us when we least expect it: luckily they can work for us just as easily.
    I'm sorry, I meant concept classes, not classes that are already in the game. However, thank you for showing how Blizzard's goal with classes is to make them as distinct as possible. That was my point in regards to Demon Hunters and why such a class would never be implemented, yet a class like Tinkers which are unique and original have a strong chance to be implemented.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-05-30 at 09:46 PM.

  4. #164
    I would rather have no new class/race and instead get model updates for the older races.

  5. #165
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythic1 View Post
    I would rather have no new class/race and instead get model updates for the older races.
    We're already getting those. The point of this thread is what are we getting on top of that. Some seem to believe that we're getting even more races, which makes no sense.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    No they didn't, which is why people keep asking when the new models are coming out, and no one knows.

    And no, new models that were announced before MoP came out isn't a good centerpiece for the new expansion. Blizzard always announces the major features for the new expansion when they announce the new expansion.
    I doubt Blizzard will even release the new models before/after the next expansion... Let's be honest, Blizzard has.. what? Announced it for two expansions now and hasn't done a thing with it? Whatever happened to the dwarves that were being updated?

    Anyways, something tells me we'll get some new neutral race, with a class. Or maybe one horde/alliance race? inb4 something demonic. And what's up with the announcement of a potential tinker class there? That sounds neat, but stupid...

  7. #167
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,651
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDavidTwo View Post
    I doubt Blizzard will even release the new models before/after the next expansion... Let's be honest, Blizzard has.. what? Announced it for two expansions now and hasn't done a thing with it? Whatever happened to the dwarves that were being updated?
    That's sort of the point of this thread. Blizzard really needs to redo the vanilla races. Its really something they can't put on the backburner, because those old races look pretty bad. Its not helping that they're producing original race NPCs left and right that look vastly superior to player models.

    This is why I believe that we're getting the new player models next expansion.

    Anyways, something tells me we'll get some new neutral race, with a class. Or maybe one horde/alliance race? inb4 something demonic. And what's up with the announcement of a potential tinker class there? That sounds neat, but stupid...
    Like I said, if Blizzard is smart (and they are), they'd hold out on developing new races and focus on getting the old races up to snuff. This is why I think we're seeing a class next go around, with Vanilla races handling the race side of things.

    Tinkers is the only future class concept that really makes sense at this point in the game.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Yeah, but it's the least feasible as Engineering covers most of it's bases already.

    If anything, Demon Hunter is the probable candidate.
    Engineering covers nothing. Engineers make toys and semi-useless doodads. Every character I've called my main has been an engineer since I first fired up the game, because I wanted, really wanted, to make it a playstyle. Back when I started with my dwarf pally, I had far more interest in making whirring bronze gizmos and the like than I had in his actual class abilities.

    The usefulness of the exploding sheep and the poultryizer and all the rest of it has long since been outgrown. All I'm left with is an on-use glove enchant I've got macroed and am barely cognizant of, and a belt enchant I save for situations that are so dire that they're nearly non-existent. And a parachute cloak that I haven't used in combat since that time in MSV that it crashed the game when I did so. As if slow falling in a raid is all that useful anyway. I've got three stacks of landsharks that I can't bring myself to just junk, because I'm sure as heck not going to blow a cast time on something that doesn't scale with gear.

    So what bases are we covering here? The base that lets you make crap you could buy off the auction house anyway? The base that gives you abilities that are really passives, or ones that you don't want to use because there's a good chance you'll kill yourself? One forgotten little paladin back in the recesses of time had a dream of wading into battle with robots and bombs and tanks and death rays blazing. That is a dream unrealized. That is a base uncovered.

    A druid engineer is nothing more than a druid.

  9. #169
    They could easily implement non new race/class features into the game that draw the crowds back. TBH I think the 4th spc + new player models is the best way, it's a system that allows the artists to focus on the revamps while the designers create new playstyles that doesn't require more geartypes or models. A new class isn't that hard to implement either, but even a new Race would be easier to handle since it doesn't require more art for gear.

    A new class needs everything new, from spell effects to armor styles to abilities. It's too much work to expect character revamps and a new class in the same expansion.

  10. #170
    I would rather want revamped old models than new ones

  11. #171
    Scarab Lord Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    4,983
    Given the continual demand for new character models since Cata, and their constantly stating they are working on them, I feel that "New Character Models" will replace the "New Class" or "New Race" on the next expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  12. #172
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,651
    Great post Drilnos.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    They could easily implement non new race/class features into the game that draw the crowds back. TBH I think the 4th spc + new player models is the best way, it's a system that allows the artists to focus on the revamps while the designers create new playstyles that doesn't require more geartypes or models. A new class isn't that hard to implement either, but even a new Race would be easier to handle since it doesn't require more art for gear.

    A new class needs everything new, from spell effects to armor styles to abilities. It's too much work to expect character revamps and a new class in the same expansion.
    Well Blizzard said that 4th spec isn't happening. At least not this expansion.

    A class would require as much work as 4th specs to implement. So there you go.

  13. #173
    Stop ignoring what I said.

    Class requires MORE work than 4th specs because of Artwork and Spell effects. The Art team would already be focused on working on existing character revamps and making sure the transitions for all gear/model combinations work seamlessly in the transition. A new class isn't likely to happen right away.

  14. #174
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Stop ignoring what I said.

    Class requires MORE work than 4th specs because of Artwork and Spell effects. The Art team would already be focused on working on existing character revamps and making sure the transitions for all gear/model combinations work seamlessly in the transition. A new class isn't likely to happen right away.
    GC disagrees;

    @Ghostcrawler Silly question: What would take more effort, creating a new class from scratch, or adding a new spec to existing ones?
    @shawnlanglois About the same when you consider the number of new abilities either would require. New class would take more art, esp. armor.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ghostcraw...23266185551872

  15. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    GC disagrees;
    quotes boil down a fairly complex situation to a few words that everyone leaps to blame anyways.

    drawing specifically from his quote though, new class would take more ART, and since the art teams tend to be the chokepoints for content to begin with, it may be easier for them to multitask 4th specs...

    also, 4th specs can be delivered piecemeal (yeah, there will be people complaining that THEIR class didnt get a 4th spec at launch, but ppl will be complaining regardless). Classes *have* to launch with 3 full specs. period.

    Mind you, with the little amount actually differentiating the specs now, it wouldnt be too hard to add a spec to the classes. the tough part would be spitballing concepts that arent already covered, but would help fill a gap in the game not already present in the class. some classes lend themselves to this more readily than others.

    but yeah, I'd be happy if we could get the model updates & a few 4th specs... but I think we're more likely to see a pair of races and maybe a new class depending on the expac theme.

  16. #176
    Scarab Lord Conscious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Boston, MA.
    Posts
    4,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Engineering covers nothing. Engineers make toys and semi-useless doodads. Every character I've called my main has been an engineer since I first fired up the game, because I wanted, really wanted, to make it a playstyle. Back when I started with my dwarf pally, I had far more interest in making whirring bronze gizmos and the like than I had in his actual class abilities.

    The usefulness of the exploding sheep and the poultryizer and all the rest of it has long since been outgrown. All I'm left with is an on-use glove enchant I've got macroed and am barely cognizant of, and a belt enchant I save for situations that are so dire that they're nearly non-existent. And a parachute cloak that I haven't used in combat since that time in MSV that it crashed the game when I did so. As if slow falling in a raid is all that useful anyway. I've got three stacks of landsharks that I can't bring myself to just junk, because I'm sure as heck not going to blow a cast time on something that doesn't scale with gear.

    So what bases are we covering here? The base that lets you make crap you could buy off the auction house anyway? The base that gives you abilities that are really passives, or ones that you don't want to use because there's a good chance you'll kill yourself? One forgotten little paladin back in the recesses of time had a dream of wading into battle with robots and bombs and tanks and death rays blazing. That is a dream unrealized. That is a base uncovered.

    A druid engineer is nothing more than a druid.
    What do you call your beloved "Tinker" that takes Engineering as a primary Profession?

    My point is, yes the profession may be dated and whack, but most others are as well. That doesn't justify a class unto itself, that is currently at this time basically a profession.

    I'm aware you have a passion for the implementation of a "Tinker" class, but the facts of the matter remain - It's just too far into left field to be called feasible right now, both from a game-play perspective, as well as lore wise.
    Looking to refund your Warlords of Draenor purchase? Contact Support chat directly - here.
    "We don't really have any idea what most players want." - GC

  17. #177
    Your quote just solidified what I said. My point is with the character revamps, the ART is already a lot to handle. A new class requires more ART.

    TBH I don't even think 4th spec are necessary. I simply meant that 4th spec would have been more likely, and even then it doesn't mean we're getting 4th specs next expansion.

    Anything is possible and they could surprise us with a new class, but basing on what they already have on their plates (character model revamps) it's not likely that a new class would be introduced.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2013-05-31 at 03:13 AM.

  18. #178
    What is with all this 4th spec crap?

    1) Blizzard frequently complains about having over 30 specs in the game to constantly balance and says that if they had it over they probably wouldn't make so many.

    2) Making a 4th spec would mean 12 new specs to create, maintain and balance and make meaningfully different from the existing ones. That's the equivalent of adding 4 new classes to the game. In short I don't fucking think so.

    3) Blizzard said no already.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yeah, and it would be a huge flop. New models were expected in MoP, not to be the main draw of WoW 6.0.
    People play expansions because they're expansions, not to play a new race or class, that's just icing. Most people play on their mains and maybe try out the new race/class on an alt. They could quite easily release an expansion with no new races or classes.

    In fact I'd be kind of glad if they did, the number of classes and races is getting out of control.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-05-31 at 03:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  19. #179
    True, they've said a number of things, in the past, regarding several topics. Some of those things are in game, some of them aren't. You might notice that the same thing they said about Pandarens was also said about Demon Hunters... mainly that they were no plans for them to be in the game at the time. That's neither confirmation nor negation.
    Curious, where did they say that they had no plans to include Pandaren?

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    We're already getting those.
    You're "getting" whatever Blizzard decides to "give" you.

    Personally I think char models and no new classes or races would be a good thing. A new class right after an expansion with a new class is too soon. Also, MoP gave us both a new class and a new race so they've kind of gotten through two expansion's worth of new "player character" options already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •