Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    I'd Also like my Forsaken to stop having zig-zag cutouts around their elbows and knees, I'd prefer a model where I don't have to have my bones sticking out.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but a model update doesn't mean they're going to fundamentally change the playable races. Areas of exposed bone are iconic to the forsaken and I doubt Blizz is going to change that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    Because new models are going to be our "new class/race" for the expansion.

It's really not rocket science, dude.
    Again, you won't have to buy the new expansion to get new models, so how could that be the case?

I'm starting to doubt we're going to see 4th spec next expansion, so it probably will come down to a new class. I don't see any viable candidates for 2 new races, and like was said earlier, those remodels are going to be free with the price of admission. Additionally I don't think Blizzard is going to create yet another new race while the 8 original races continue to look like crap.

Either way, its going to be interesting to see where Blizzard goes from here. Blizzcon will answer all of our questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add a new race... TADA NO NEW CLASS! :P

BTW i don't think they would add a new class thats way to much work, i think they will add a new neutral race or 2 new races (For each faction) and new models for the others races

10+ Year Old Account
    I still believe strongly we'll get a 3rd Mail Wearer (please be a Tinker) and new models. It's better than a new race entirely, specially when it's about remodelling our current races.

A new race isn't needed atm, unless they come up with a entirely new race related to the next expansion I can't think of a race.
    "Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
    In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
    May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity..."

-General Nazgrim

Why does it need to be a new race or class? Sure, that's been the pattern before, but Blizzard have been known to break patterns before. Who expected the T13 legendary to be a set of daggers, for example? Or the MoP legendaries to be for everyone?

My theory is that we won't get a new race or a new class. We'll get new models... AND a 4th spec for everyone. We may also get that tri-spec thing. There's room for almost all classes to get a 4th spec in my mind:

Warlock: Demon Hunter, tanking spec, splitting Demonology into two specs (one for Metamorphosis, one for demon pets)
    Hunter: Some tanking spec, or a petless spec
    Monk: Ranged DPS focusing on Chi-ji
    Mage: some sort of healing/buffing spec
    Rogue: tanking spec
    Druid: already has 4 specs
    Warrior: ranged DPS, solving the issue of Hunters having sole use of ranged weapons, or perhaps a different kind of tanking spec
    Death Knight: ranged DPS, like a Necromancer, splitting Unholy into two trees (one focusing on pets/ranged DPS, one focusing on diseases)
    Paladin: ranged DPS, shockadin! Solves the issue of holy paladins having a loot set all to themselves, sort of
    Priest: Maybe another DPS spec
    Shaman: tanking spec

The possibilities are there!

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather hope we don't get a new class. New races would be great because they'd add more variety without muddying the already shitty PvP waters.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    BC - Race (Dr/Be)
    Wrath - Class, meta-race (DK)
    Cata - Race (Wr/Gb)
    Mists - Class/Race (Mo/Pa)

I can see them easily avoiding adding a new class. Based off your own information.

Regardless, speculation is still silly.
    MoP proved there is no trend, as you yourself point out. Therefor it all comes down to how far Blizz is willing to go to celebrate WoW's 10th and to try and net back in subscribers. We may see 1 race, 2 races, 1 class, 1 race & class, 2 races & 1 class, or even 3 races & 1 class.
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2013-05-01 at 09:57 PM.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Do people actually read before they post? How will new models be a selling point when everyone will receive them when the game updates? They're not going to have one set of players running around with old models and another set of people with new models. It's like saying the new talent system will be a selling point, when everyone gets the talent update when 6.0 drops.
    It's the same thing as them offering Pandaren as a racial option despite not having MoP. Regardless of whether or not it's a feature exclusive to owning the game, most of us consider them part of MoP.

Can't the selling feature of the expansion just be the fucking story and zones for once?

Because trust you and me, people will buy the expansion whether there is a new class and race or not.
    Hah, you're funny. The production value of MoP zones (personally my favourite set of zones throughout the game's history) goes sadly unnoticed.

I think we'll see more refinement of older systems. They've definitely been considering a profession overhaul, which would be nice.
    Last edited by Bashkar; 2013-05-01 at 09:58 PM.

New character models, new race, new primary profession = no need for new class.

Pick any 3 of the 4, really. Well, any 2, as it's almost a lock we're getting new character models.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I half expect a class at the moment. I think the Monk Class was a success overall, and it gave Players something new to try out. I can definitely see a new Class being introduced. Also I wouldn't be surprised if new Character Models were bigged up. Which is slightly disappointing in my opinion, unless they need to go full on with the changes and have to rework every single texture and item model.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because new models are going to be our "new class/race" for the expansion.

It's really not rocket science, dude.[COLOR="red"]
    I'd like to believe Blizz does want WoW to survive. But then, I've been proven wrong before.
    Can't the selling feature of the expansion just be the fucking story and zones for once?

Because trust you and me, people will buy the expansion whether there is a new class and race or not.
    ToR tried doing the whole "the expansion is the story" thing. Didn't work, they've had to add a new race anyway.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Every expansion either introduces new races or a new class. With the race developers concentrating on new models, it appears that it is up to the class team to create the showpiece for the next expansion.
    Not really.

Models are, to quote Blizzard, being done in the arts team spare time. They aren't really a priority. If Blizzard was to add a new race, new models would still be done in the down time.

As everyone knows, it takes something major like 2 new races or a new class to push a new expansion. We also have the 10th anniversary of WoW to consider as well.
    New races and a new class are the usual focus of a new Xpac. They are important for very good reasons and its difficult to think of anything that could take their place.

In other words, I just don't see what else they could do except bring out a new class. The race team will more than likely be too occupied to create 2 new races. Even though Monks just came out, Blizzard may not have a choice but to bring out a new class in e next expansion.
    No. They always have a choice. Do they develop a new race? Or do the work on three NPC races? There are advantages to both. Or Blizzard could go the cheap route. Make a race available from the opposite faction.

Right now....I don't think there is any desperate need for a new class. The only one I could think which might work would be the Night Elf Warden, though lately the Demon Hunter and Tinker have been getting some adherents. Trouble is, at this time, MOST classes which could be used already have a counterpart in game with what appear to be mostly minor difference sin game play or style...and while there may be major difference sin lore, story, motivations and background that's probably enough justification to create a new class a round.

So what are Blizzards options:

1: New class - done in LK and MoP
    2: New race/races - done in TBC, MoP, and Cata
    3: New race and new class - done in MoP
    4: Switched class - TBC.
    5: Switched race - never done, but the major roadblock has been removed.
    6: 4th spec - done for druids in MoP.
    7: Revamp every class - never really done.
    8: Specs merged into 1 (system removed) - unlikely
    9: Spec system replaced with job /role system - done with Monks, Warlocks, druids.

Personally? I think the class revamp seems more likely than a new class. Something to refresh what players already play, and excuse to deal with button bloat and other issues. Will it go as far as scrapping the entire system and rebuilding from scratch? Doubtful. Of course, a 4th spec may add too much homogeneity by allowing each class to fill multiple roles.

Races? I can see each faction getting a new race. I can see a desire to mark the 10th anniversary in some special way as well; filling out the roster from WC3 would help with that. Are Blizzard willing to put the effort into a High Elf redesign that would entail? It'd take a lot of work to make them different enough to bee seen as new instead of a rehash while still keeping their connection to history.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Why does it need to be a new race or class? Sure, that's been the pattern before, but Blizzard have been known to break patterns before. Who expected the T13 legendary to be a set of daggers, for example? Or the MoP legendaries to be for everyone?

My theory is that we won't get a new race or a new class. We'll get new models... AND a 4th spec for everyone. We may also get that tri-spec thing. There's room for almost all classes to get a 4th spec in my mind:

Warlock: Demon Hunter, tanking spec, splitting Demonology into two specs (one for Metamorphosis, one for demon pets)
    Hunter: Some tanking spec, or a petless spec
    Monk: Ranged DPS focusing on Chi-ji
    Mage: some sort of healing/buffing spec
    Rogue: tanking spec
    Druid: already has 4 specs
    Warrior: ranged DPS, solving the issue of Hunters having sole use of ranged weapons, or perhaps a different kind of tanking spec
    Death Knight: ranged DPS, like a Necromancer, splitting Unholy into two trees (one focusing on pets/ranged DPS, one focusing on diseases)
    Paladin: ranged DPS, shockadin! Solves the issue of holy paladins having a loot set all to themselves, sort of
    Priest: Maybe another DPS spec
    Shaman: tanking spec

The possibilities are there!
    I hope we see 4th specs. It would allow us to avoid a new class and race, yet still get something new that benefits existing races and classes.

They can put no new race and no new class if they wanted to.

And they would sell it to you very easily. Here, choose one (or more) of the following excuses they could use:

1) We decided to concentrate more of our talent on creating a deep environment with more content for you to explore and quest through
    2) We've already got so many races that we felt we just needed to slow down things a bit and let us flesh out the current races.
    3) PVP is a perpetual balance problem, so we're not going to include a new class until we take this expansion to balance things out.
    4) Which would you rather have? a new race or hours of new content.
    5) We didn't want to introduce a new "heroic" class because it should feel "heroic" - and we didn't want it to be an expected thing.

I could think of more, but trust me - they're good at spinning things. :P

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    They can put no new race and no new class if they wanted to.
    Easily, but they'd need some sort of hook of equal value to replace them with.

The excuses you provide are easy to make - but also very unlikely to generate the same buzz, the same excitement as a new race or class. It would, in effect, be very difficult to sell with nothing to take their place.

New models don't fit the role either for the same reason. New or not, they are simply stuff we already have.

What could they offer in exchange? A new faction? It'd have to use existing races or models somehow.

As it is, I don't see a new class. It offers gameplay value, and the Monk came out quite well....but there isn't really an obvious candidate yet. I don't see Rangers, or Demon Hunters as standalone classes. Tinkers....Maybe, but we already have engineering as a profession. Shadow hunters? We have Hunters. Wardens appear to wear plate, but could be given mail I suppose - but they are very strongly associated with NElfs. And the whole justice thing sounds very Paladinish. Although - bounty hunting might be interesting . They're one of the few classes with enough identity to perhaps justify a new class, especially if you go the same spec=job route as the monks, but they'd have been a good addition in Cata. A class revamp seems more likely.

Ground is much more fertile for a new race. 10th Anniversary special - what are we still missing. Alliance High Elves, Horde Ogres and Illidans Naga. But as stated above, High Elfs would likely be very difficult to do without the Alliance screaming rehash. So that'd either not be done, or you'd need to give the Horde an Alliance race and bring in a new race for the Alliance as well. The race swap would be simple enough. Animations, models, etc already done. Certainly doable. New race for the Alliance? The untrustworthy Ethereals? The monstrous Drakonid? The treacherous Naga?

A lot of trouble there though. Overall, though I think new races are more likely than a new class.

But I don't think theres much likelihood of neither. Anything that would generate enough excitement to justify their exclusion seems to be too much bother to do.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Tinker abilities aren't anything like Engineering. It's like comparing Enchanting to Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yeah, the team is bigger than ever yet new models still aren't done yet. Also keep in mind that when Blizzard develops new races, they are working on them way before the expansion is announced. The remodeling of the races is like adding 8 new races to WoW.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 01:46 AM ----------

Yeah, and it would be a huge flop. New models were expected in MoP, not to be the main draw of WoW 6.0.
    We don't know that they aren't done yet. We don't know where the new models are at all. Honestly, when 5.1 hit and there wasn't any decent info or preview, I knew it was going to be saved for a big feature for the next expansion. They could have been done when 5.2 hit and they decided to keep them for next expansion.

Still, that's a much bigger deal. Normally we get 2 new races, thus 4 new character models.

We would be getting 18-20 new character models in an expansion.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 01:46 AM ----------

Honestly, I'd love a massive expansion like BC and Wrath again. 10 levels worth of content to quest through, even if there's only a 5 level boost. Makes it so there's lots to go play through after max level or alts have different paths they can take rather than do the same zones. If they did that and spent more focus on it rather than new race/class, I'd be okay with it, especially if we got lots of dungeons and raids, etc.

1 create a new race with slightly overpowered buff + a good pvp ability
    2 lots people pay $25 race change
    3 ???
    4 profit

New class will make subscription last longer, but is more difficult to balance.
    Also it has to design three new spec.

The new race is free money.
    We are more likely to see a new race.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2013-05-02 at 03:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    1 create a new race with slightly overpowered buff + a good pvp ability
    2 lots people pay $25 race change
    3 ???
    4 profit

New class will make subscription last longer, but is more difficult to balance.
    Also it has to design three new spec.

The new race is free money.
    We are more likely to see a new race.
    I wouldn't say it's free money. You still have to design the animations and such. Also if its a Race expansion, Blizzard brings out two races, not just one. There's also the problem that the old races still need to be updated to bring them on par with the more modern races. I seriously doubt that Blizzard is working on 10 races for the next expansion.