Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation "We considered ogres as a playable race for Cataclysm."

From the front page of Mmo-champion:

Ogres as a playable race? Any chance of this happening (however remote)?

We considered them for Cataclysm. We got to the point of trying to figure out what ogre ladies looked like.

So they didn't add Ogres as a playable race because they didn't know how females should look? Do you think they will add them in the future expansion?

I hope not. Maybe in an expansion with a fitting theme, but say next expac is a BL one (not saying it is, just hypothetical), I wouldn't want Blizzard to make ogres a playable race with a Legion-theme.

Reason I say this is because I literally have not a speck of love for ogres. If we have to go with a brute-like race, I'd rather take like.. Gronn or Ettin.
    Last edited by Yogg-Saron, God of Death; 2013-04-26 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    So they didn't add Ogres as a playable race because they didn't know how females should look?
    That's not what he said. He said that when they decided to go with goblins instead, they were already at the point of concepting out female ogres.

Deleted
    Well if you think about it ...

Trying to imagine a female ogre could give you some brain damage..

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    That's not what he said. He said that when they decided to go with goblins instead, they were already at the point of concepting out female ogres.
    Thats not what he said either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Not a huge fan of the Ogre models in WoW, however if they were to make them a playable race it's safe to assume they would be much more detailed and finely tuned than current mob Ogre models.

I dunno though, nothing about Ogres really says *yes I want to play one* I wouldn't have anything against them as a playable race though as I know many folks want them. I just don't think it's a race I would play personally.

They may well add them in the future, we have many expansions ahead of us, I'm sure they will keep adding new playable races

15+ Year Old Account
    ive always wanted to play a 2 headed ogre mage or warlock for the looonngestt time. if the error messages where the 2 heads talking to each other, i would actually turn the error speech on for the first time in years.

I like how blizzard makes such a big deal out of genders when it comes to races. They admitted they struggled a lot with worgen females, and they obviously struggled with male blood elfs and female pandaren. It kinda shows how they tend to hire the same kind of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post

Female ogres aren't very far from their male counterpart. Blizzard just likes to please the "we liek shinies" crowd (and yet somehow fem Worgen came out terrible).

This isn't my image, but the same concept I have of fem Ogres in my head. They would be wonderful as another neutral race.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post

They could turn out decently, they could turn out badly. Maybe Ogres hide them away because of their beauty

And some have already tried to imagine them:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19876344

EJL

Deleted
    why do they have to have females of every playable race anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    And all the Haters would call them Shrek.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Those are astute observations.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOZOGOK View Post
    why do they have to have females of every playable race anyway?
    I take it you know something about ogres' asexual reproductive methods that we don't?

That's good. I always hated ogres, but I hate naga even worse. lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanochan View Post
    Female ogres aren't very far from their male counterpart. Blizzard just likes to please the "we liek shinies" crowd (and yet somehow fem Worgen came out terrible).

This isn't my image, but the same concept I have of fem Ogres in my head. They would be wonderful as another neutral race.
    Brain takes 9999999 crit damage. Overkill.

Release ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    And all the Haters would call them Shrek.
    People be like:
    Uuh, stupid kiddy shrek game, first panda's [who turned out amazing and the whole expansion is good.] now this shit? wtf blizzard
    if you make this kiddy shit i'll unsub!

Then afterwards a lot of people will have ogres and still play.

Deleted
    Sadly, I doubt Ogres will be a playable race. Personally, I would racechange all my chars to Ogres, I would even sign a piece of paper to state this to cover the artists salary for making this happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    From the front page of Mmo-champion:

So they didn't add Ogres as a playable race because they didn't know how females should look? Do you think they will add them in the future expansion?
    "We got to the point of trying to figure out what ogre ladies looked like."

This does not mean they scrapped it because of that. They most likely had a list of races and decided Goblin and Worgan was more fitting for the story they had mapped out, Ogres were an option and had been discussed, I'm guessing the dev comment I quoted is just a tongue in cheek response.
    Last edited by mmocbd02567a48; 2013-04-26 at 08:41 AM.