Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    I've always found Ethereals extremely bland personally. It's just some shiny toilet paper in a humanoid shape. Also, if Blizzard considers having both genders as a very important factor, then Ethereals are either out of the image or they would require a lot of work. They'd require a lot of work regardless, with the armor and customization and all. Of course it is possible, but I imagine Blizzard would rather go the obvious route. Plus, Ethereals has thus far been portrayed as nothing but businessmen across the galaxy, few of them are fighters, and even if they are fighter they're mostly spellcasters, can't recall any Ethereal Warriors for example.
    There are plenty of heavy melee Ethereals, they just prefer their glaive-blades to running around with two-handed weapons. And there are probably more melee Ethereals than there are spell-casters. It's no different from how there are no real Night Elf "warriors", they're sentinels. Every race can pick up a sword or axe or shield and slam it into things, that's why every race can be a warrior. And to argue that Ethereals wouldn't make a good race because they're "business men" is just silly. The goblins are far more concerned with money that the Ethereals. A typical Goblin is willing to sell out anything, their friends, their honor, you'd have a hard time finding a goblin that would rather fight than pay their way out a sticky situation.

    Ethereals on the other hand are more concerned with profit than Goblins. They'll gladly stand and fight you to keep their profits, or to kill you and take and sell whatever you might have on you. They're raiders and thieves who trade, not business men. Not to mention they have their own pride and commitments they'll gladly fight for. When you show up in Mana Tombs and start killing Nexus-Prince Shaffar's forces, he doesn't grab his loot and run, he takes it as a personal offense and meets you head on to make you pay for what you've done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    In terms of simple logic, it would be bizarre for the art team to have already finished the dwarves, continued work on the other races, then stop that work to develop brand new races. It would make far more sense to complete the redesign of the old races, and then pool resources to start on new races, since those would be starting from scratch.

    There's also the issue with not having many options to choose from in terms of new races. Redesigning the old models is a surefire win. In contrast, bringing in new races which may suck, and that would be a huge waste of resources.
    It isn't bizarre, because as I've already mentioned the old races aren't a priority. They're something the art devs work on when they have free time and aren't busy working on models and artwork for things like Throne of Thunder, the new 5.3 scenarios, Siege of Orgrimmar, and probably at this stage, the next expansion. They aren't going to stop and say "Oh hey, let's not add content to the next expansion because we're going to work on old races instead", they're going to say "Hey, we could probably finish some of the old races while working on the new content, and if the old races don't get finished, it's fine because we've already said they aren't going to be released all at once, they're going to come out when we get around to it and they're finished."
    Last edited by Hitei; 2013-04-26 at 11:08 AM.
    The Abbot at first tried to console Pai Mei, only to find Pai Mei was... inconsolable.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    What is pretty easy to implement about a two headed new character model? First of all they need to redo the complete model, as the current ones are limited in their movement and way below the current standards. Then they need to design and create females. Then they need to figure out how the hell a helm and shoulders would fit on TWO HEADS! That linked fanart picture looks nice, with those simple, small helmets, but try doing that with the huge, intricate designs of later tier gear with all their special animations and stuff. Nothing easy about any of that.

    I dislike ogres, so I hope they will never be implemented. Give me ethereals any day!
    If two headed helms were such a gigantic issue, they could just allow only single-headed Ogres to be playable. Two-headed Ogre are supposed to be rare anyway.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    One-headed Ogres dude.
    Don't be so disrespectful. Even if I were a man, you shouldn't be calling strangers 'dude'. And One-Headed Ogres are just fat humans, even more stupid then the Two-Headed variant.

    Other than that Ogres will be much easier to integrate and design than Worgens, not to mention Draeneis, both because of head shapes and the fact that they're already an intergral part of Warcraft, no need to create a new culture for them.
    It's still just as much work to create a new model for Ogres as it is for Worgen and Draenei.

    Plus, your whole argument is flawed in that you say Ogres won't be a new race because they're hard to pull off
    This, I have no idea where it came from. I argued that they wouldn't be easy to implement, but never suggested that it was a reason to not implement them. I was only commenting on the 'easy' part.

    and then you beg for Etherals afterwards. Ethereals would be one of the hardest races to pull off, because they're literally nothing but bandages, what's a female Ethereal? How does armor fit on them? As well as the other problems I mentioned earlier. Now Blizzard did say they like to design something challenging when asked about the Naga in the very same Q&A as this thread is about, so it's not impossible, but Ogres and Naga definitely seem to be the go-to races atm.
    So, this matters nothing, as I never said they wouldn't implement Ogres because of the work involved nor did I say Ethereals were easier. I just like their looks more.

  4. #44
    New Kid Zaelsino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    12,306
    It's a joke. They probably just thought goblins added something more unique.

  5. #45
    who the heck would want to play ogres???

  6. #46
    I've wanted to play an Ogre since before BC was announced as an expansion, and have been waiting patiently since. I would faction change all my characters Horde, to have an Ogre Warlock as my main.
    "Video games only exist, so that idiots have something to be good at" - Joe Hildebrand

  7. #47
    Ogres are the only race I've wanted to play since Warcraft 1 and I hope they allow it to be so.

    After the awful job they did on Worgen females I wasn't aware that making an awful female race was a hinderance to them. If you disagree, enjoy that derpsnarl the female worgen has. "Are you mad miss female worgen?" "No I just have this permanent snarl, it's very good artistry!"

  8. #48
    Titan Synthaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    12,977
    Honestly, whilever they continue to make small doors, they need to stick to smaller and medium sized races. Tauren STILL can't go into UC lifts on many mounts. I also find my tauren Paladin gets stuck in some of the MoP doorways when on a mount. Sorta offtopic, I'm hoping the new models fix this.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZOZOGOK View Post
    why do they have to have females of every playable race anyway?
    Because self-replicating entities are generally frowned upon in games simply because players will be all "So why haven't they overrun us before?", and saying the males can procreate with other males is just opening up a whole bag of hate (because you know, people aren't tolerant when it comes to games -- even I think it'd be weird).
    Last edited by Synthaxx; 2013-04-26 at 12:24 PM.
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | Node.js Monkey | Supporter of error 418 (I'm a teapot)
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL, Python, JS + jQuery, HTML + CSS, Ruby, Node.js (+ Express & Socket.io)

    PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

  9. #49
    This expansion was a class, next xpac will probably be new races. I expect Ogres Horde and Ethereals Alliance.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    who the heck would want to play ogres???
    Why the heck would you wanna play giant cows?


  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Because self-replicating entities are generally frowned upon in games simply because players will be all "So why haven't they overrun us before?", and saying the males can procreate with other males is just opening up a whole bag of hate (because you know, people aren't tolerant when it comes to games -- even I think it'd be weird).
    Well I think it just comes down to the fact that the females would be unpleasantly fat and you'd have a bunch of people going around making fat female ogres and calling them hateful things and just using them to troll the general population.

    I think they almost need attractive female subsects of each race so that they can be treated as seriously in a fantasy setting. Not many ugly females are leads in anything, much less fantasy games that are mostly played by men.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    From the front page of Mmo-champion:




    So they didn't add Ogres as a playable race because they didn't know how females should look? Do you think they will add them in the future expansion?
    I hope not since i think we are at the point we have too many races as is. If they do another expac where they give one race to each faction then yeah they will prob add them but i really think the race selection is big enough and if you keep adding then its just gonna get silly. Each new race has to have a new starting zone and it takes time and resources from the end game content. I dont really see the need for any new races but i give it a 40% chance they will do atleast one more race add be it one for both or one for each.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    This expansion was a class, next xpac will probably be new races. I expect Ogres Horde and Ethereals Alliance.



    Why the heck would you wanna play giant cows?
    This expansion was a class + new race.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    They need to make ogre females suuuuuuuuuuuuper hot, for the irony factor.
    Considering how they design female characters in general, we can all rest assured that female ogres WILL be in a two piece bikini for their armor.

  14. #54
    Mechagnome manicwrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Cotswolds, Southwest England.
    Posts
    536
    i for one am in masive huge need want of ogres, like yesterday! I WANT THEM NOW! as my main is alliance, I would make a new Ogre to be my horde main straight away!

    And for all of those who are tutting at their monitor with the snide comments like "i don't like ogres, who would play an ogre anyway?" I'd think you find, a hell of a lot. an awful awful lot of people would. Could see ogres as the most popular race for the horde in fact.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by balatro View Post
    Considering how they design female characters in general, we can all rest assured that female ogres WILL be in a two piece bikini for their armor.
    Which to me insinuates that their problem was not designing a female ogre character, but just one that would be attractive to their juvenile populace. (not implying you are one of those)

  16. #56
    Well there is a Ogre Female Mask in the game - http://www.wowhead.com/item=69192


  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Well there is a Ogre Female Mask in the game - http://www.wowhead.com/item=69192

    Looks like Blanka before he went full brazilian hulk.

  18. #58
    Scarab Lord MasterOfKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Don't be so disrespectful. Even if I were a man, you shouldn't be calling strangers 'dude'. And One-Headed Ogres are just fat humans, even more stupid then the Two-Headed variant.


    It's still just as much work to create a new model for Ogres as it is for Worgen and Draenei.


    This, I have no idea where it came from. I argued that they wouldn't be easy to implement, but never suggested that it was a reason to not implement them. I was only commenting on the 'easy' part.


    So, this matters nothing, as I never said they wouldn't implement Ogres because of the work involved nor did I say Ethereals were easier. I just like their looks more.
    I'm sorry you don't like being called a "dude," I don't see it as disrespecting anyone, so what do you prefer, sir, lord, master or baron?

    Ogres are more than just fat humans, they're more beastly, they're regarded as creatures, fits right in with the Horde. It's like saying Orcs are just muscly humans. In fact, it wonders me why Ogres weren't added as a playable race to begin with, since their roots with the Horde lies deeper than the Taurens', Undeads' and even the Trolls' roots. Ogres were part of the Horde in Warcraft 2, and with Rexxar's campaign a clan became Horde again, it was pretty much a given, and then apparently not.

    Also, what I meant with Ogres being easier to implement than Worgen and Draeneis is that they already have a set culture, they already have a basis model that they can edit, they're already integrated. They don't need to plan as much as they have needed with those two races, they don't need to mingle between design concepts (other than with the females,) the Ogres are right there in front of them, they just need to take the extra step.

    You were using the argument that they'd be hard to implement as a counter as to why they shouldn't be a race, you can't deny that, else you wouldn't have said it. Truth is, they're one of the easiest races that they can try to implement at the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    And for all of those who are tutting at their monitor with the snide comments like "i don't like ogres, who would play an ogre anyway?" I'd think you find, a hell of a lot. an awful awful lot of people would. Could see ogres as the most popular race for the horde in fact.
    While I don't think they'd be the most popular race of the Horde, mostly because of the pwetty elves, there's no doubt they'd be very popular. Many people have wanted Ogres, they're usually one of the races that top polls along with Naga and Ethereals. If someone think no one wants to play Ogres they need to open their eyes.
    Last edited by MasterOfKnees; 2013-04-26 at 12:35 PM.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Which to me insinuates that their problem was not designing a female ogre character, but just one that would be attractive to their juvenile populace. (not implying you are one of those)
    My comment was really more of a passive aggressive statement regarding the over sexualization of the female gender within the game. The WoW playerbase is predominantly male so the designers in turn design females with as much T&A showing as possible, often in the form of two piece bikinis and other scantily clad clothing options.

  20. #60
    Scarab Lord ViridianWRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rainbow Road
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post



    If Ogres and some other races are chosen over Ethereals, I'll crash my head into the keyboard and become a sad God of Death.


    You don't want a sad God of Death. You will learn that my thousand faces can make thousand frownies and pouties and you will relent!


    Seriously!


    What isn't cool about..

    *Snip*

    That? D:
    It's not about coolness. It's about, and let's all say it with me, viability.

    Ethereals have...

    Little to no known culture
    "Mercenary" attitude (IE, no faction loyalties)
    No physical form (And this one is fucking important).

    What does an Ethereal look like with no gear? A glowing ball of orange plasma shit? Or do they have all those wraps on? Do they wear armor over their wraps? How many people will have had an attachment to a race that played a bit part two expansions ago and look traditionally 'cool'?

    Compared to races with established cultures, of whom have represented major villains for expansion arcs (Cho'gall anyone?), who have been established parts of the Horde since Warcraft II and are a known ally with a population too small to fill a playerbase (Brackenwall Ogres).

    6.0. Rexxar the Mok'nathal leads a clan of Ogres into the Horde post the events of the Siege of Orgrimmar to rebuild the shattered Horde.

    You mean I have room for text now?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •