Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What option to pick for cpu cooling?

Alright so i got a new chip because the previous one wasn't stable at all beyond 4,4 Ghz. (prime stable that is)
    This new chip is quite the beast , however my cooling is just not cutting it while my voltage is still reasonable. (prime is going in the 100's at times, usual game temps +- 80 tops)
    As can be seen here ;

So far my mind has come up with a few solutions however im not sure what would be the best one to pick.

Upgrading cpu cooler to a X60/H110/custom loop (last one i actually rather not since my plan was to go full water cooling with my next major rig overhaul likely for skylake)

Delidding; risky but if that is what it takes to get my temps under control im open to the option.

While im already using a pretty hefty cooler (NH-D14) it just won't allow me to reach the 5,0 Ghz region in the temp aspect of it.

Also i have no experience in regards to AIO coolers and what would be the biggest/best i could fit in my haff 922.
    I'd rather not mod my case/buy a new one already.

so any suggestions/ideas/input etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    You are very close on damaging your chip with that voltage and temps. Your best bet is probaly to go for custom water cooling, h110 will only increase performance by around 10 c.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    You are very close on damaging your chip with that voltage and temps. Your best bet is probaly to go for custom water cooling, h110 will only increase performance by around 10 c.
    tbh i'd settle for 10 degrees less easy.
    yes i know im on the razor's edge of what my cpu can take but so far it's for worth it. (loads in other benchmarks don't exceed 85 degrees by comparison)

Expecting to reach 5.0Ghz on Ivy Bridge under normal circumstances (safe temperatures) is absurd. Not gonna happen.

Your voltages are stupidly high and will certainly ruin your chip sooner than later, and your heat issues will further compound the problem.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Expecting to reach 5.0Ghz on Ivy Bridge under normal circumstances (safe temperatures) is absurd. Not gonna happen.

Your voltages are stupidly high and will certainly ruin your chip sooner than later, and your heat issues will further compound the problem.
    well im expecting to run 5,0 on this chip because i can do 4,9 on 1,232/1,240 Vcore already....
    voltages aren't that high iirc ivy can take up to 1,45Vcore without issues but that it comes with insane heat production.
    i'm aware of the risks of overclocking but that is also where half the fun of it lies , hence i wanna take it to the next level of clocks so to speak.

Custom loop should provide the lowest temps, also from what I've read delidding can lower temps by 5-10c, think there was a big thread on it recently.

Delid or custom loop, or both combined.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    still what i do wonder about custom loop if it could fit it in my case. ( + i have no need to wc my titan because that one runs on fine temps already)
    also for delidding does it really only require a knife some new TIM and balls of steel?

Really sharp knife/razorblade.

I think the HAF 922 is kind of a bad case for watercooling, you might be able to fit a slim 240mm rad in the roof but not much more.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    how about a barber razor?
    reading stories about delids causing temp drops from 10-20 degrees on load makes me very tempted so far
    also which is the best cooling 240 rad AIO watercooler out there? (im terrible in dimensions if something will or will not fit )

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    reading stories about delids causing temp drops from 10-20 degrees on load makes me very tempted so far
    Depends on whether or not Intel has improved/fixed this issue already which has been rumored. You could only be looking at a difference in which TIM is used.

Deleted
    well attempted delidding but couldn't get between the pcb and the heatspreader at all. (even a surgical scalpel wouldn't squeeze inbetween)
    i guess this leaves me with just the option of upgrading the cooling hardware.
    or the rare event that i find someone capable/willing to do it on tweakers for a minor fee.

Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-04-26 at 02:35 PM.

Deleted
    hmm got one of those in the garage and at my workplace, guess ill bring the small one from work tommorow.
    atleast it's worth a try, delidding provides the biggest drop in temps if done right.
    still im thinking of replacing the noctua, mounting and unmounting that thing is becoming a chore

hmm got one of those in the garage and at my workplace, guess ill bring the small one from work tommorow.
    atleast it's worth a try, delidding provides the biggest drop in temps if done right.
    still im thinking of replacing the noctua, mounting and unmounting that thing is becoming a chore
    Just be careful...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Just be careful...
    allways.
    as for rad size i can fit a 280mm one tops only bigger if i place my dvd drive 2 slots lower and live with a part of the rad having limited airflow.
    H100i would be the best bet? (X60 is out of stock for unknown time and only 2 places sell it QQ)

allways.
    as for rad size i can fit a 280mm one tops only bigger if i place my dvd drive 2 slots lower and live with a part of the rad having limited airflow.
    H100i would be the best bet? (X60 is out of stock for unknown time and only 2 places sell it QQ)
    H100i or H220

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    The H100i is a 240mm rad if I am not mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Shroud, if you're delidding that CPU go for a custom loop. Get an EK supremacy with the addon EK-Supremacy PreciseMount Add-on which is made for naked Ivy bridge cpu's without the HSP/IHS. Best TIM is coollaboratory ultra/pro, which is being recommended on ocn.net. A bay res/pump combo XSPC X2O 750 costs 65eur @ highflow and a RX240 should easily handle voltages of 1.4V :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Shroud, if you're delidding that CPU go for a custom loop. Get an EK supremacy with the addon EK-Supremacy PreciseMount Add-on which is made for naked Ivy bridge cpu's without the HSP/IHS. Best TIM is coollaboratory ultra/pro, which is being recommended on ocn.net. A bay res/pump combo XSPC X2O 750 costs 65eur @ highflow and a RX240 should easily handle voltages of 1.4V :P
    well yes but two issues; price and won't fit my current case?