Page 1 of 29
... LastLast

Blizzard rejected by the casual gamers

"There has been less engagement by casual players"

What does this actually mean or what do you think they mean by this?

Do they mean that the casual players have been leaving the genre? That they've been catered to, but don't actually appreciate what they're offered? Or is it just impossible to retain casual players easily since they just hop from game to game without feeling commited to play anything longer than the short while they get enjoyment out of it?

Does this mean Blizzard wants to focus more on making casual players feel engaged? To cater more content and game design to making the 'casuals' feel like they should stick around and play a bit more?

Or does it mean that Blizzard is kinda feeling that they can't control what casual players do or how much time they decide to spend on the game and that they should be aiming to focus more on their loyal and dedicated hardcore raider and pvp scene instead?
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦ INTJ

Farming endless amount of dailies and/or grinding ilvl through all dungeons/raids released since MoP began is hardly casual. I got no idea what was Blizzard thinking at this point to be honest, current game style caters only to addicted players.

blizzard politics in this xpac are totally against casual players, i'm curious to know how many subs they will lose without the casual players community lol

Irony in its purest form :P?

They made this game really casual friendly and the casuals didnt engage with it, brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Irony in its purest form :P?

They made this game really casual friendly and the casuals didnt engage with it, brilliant.
    I dont think it is wise to think that MoP is a casual friendly expansion really. my opinion anyways.

Funny people are saying that if they made the game more hardcore the casuals would quit. And most of the hardcore players have already quit because it has become too casual. Oh the irony.

Personally I miss new 5-man dungeons, I found them to be more fun than adding new raids, because as the tank I get more chance to talk to the party and to socialize than I do in LFR currently. This is one of the reasons I don't actively play in MoP, not getting much fun out of the LFR except loot, and that's not that fun when you have played as long as I have. :P

Oh btw the content release model has changed since and after Cata, for instance I remember in TBC content was released before the current content was defeated, Black Temple was out when most were on Kael. In a way it made it more fun, giving you the feeling that soon, once this boss is downed, you finally get to go and clear a new raid - instead of waiting for the content patch to arrive.

Anyway, don't think Blizzard rejects anyone in particular, just people having different opinions of what is fun and they can't deliver to everyone, especially when the majority of the dev force probably work with the next MMO rather than refilling WoW with fresh content.
    Last edited by Vladinator; 2013-05-09 at 01:01 PM.

Aeryana: "Gentlemen, we have a highlander."

The situation is this. In Cata people complained that there was nothing to do (I disagree).

So Blizzard (not for the first time), goes from one extreme to the other. In MoP, there's too much to do. Too much dailies too much grinding. Casuals probably don't like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Funny people are saying that if they made the game more hardcore the casuals would quit. And most of the hardcore players have already quit because it has become too casual. Oh the irony.
    There's no irony since "people" in this case are pretty much different "people".

Quote Originally Posted by Luccas View Post
    Farming endless amount of dailies and/or grinding ilvl through all dungeons/raids released since MoP began is hardly casual. I got no idea what was Blizzard thinking at this point to be honest, current game style caters only to addicted players.
    Not to mention the alt unfriendliness...which I guess is still part of doing all of that again.

Somewhere and nowhere... all at once... though it's not important.
    I feel it means that they missed the mark on what casual gamers want. They overwhelmed most casual gamers who enjoyed the dead time after leveling up. Harcore players would continue to grind out BiS for months, mean while casuals would take a break and either level a new character, a profession, pet battle, transmog or whatever. The problem is the casual could never get to that dead time and felt overwhelmed. Not to mention if they had a stable of alts... the sheer magnitude of it all became too daunting for a game they play to relax/ unwind and just mess around in.

TL;DR - Casuals enjoy dead time between patches. MoP = no dead time.

i would love to know what is blizzard definition of casual player in that statement

cause i doubt LFR, pet battle, dailies and easy heroics/scenario are aimed at hardcore gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I feel it means that they missed the mark on what casual gamers want. They overwhelmed most casual gamers who enjoyed the dead time after leveling up. Harcore players would continue to grind out BiS for months, mean while casuals would take a break and either level a new character, a profession, pet battle, transmog or whatever. The problem is the casual could never get to that dead time and felt overwhelmed. Not to mention if they had a stable of alts... the sheer magnitude of it all became too daunting for a game they play to relax/ unwind and just mess around in.

TL;DR - Casuals enjoy dead time between patches. MoP = no dead time.
    So too much things to do in the game = casuals leaving?

But too few things to do in the game also ended up in most regular players wanting to constantly take breaks and leave until new content was put out...

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 12:49 PM ----------

So what do you think Blizzard will do in reaction? Release much less content or less diverse content but with longer progress paths?
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦ INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Luccas View Post
    Are you kidding me? I'm pretty much the defination of casual and I hardly do dailies; have leveled several 90s all of which are capable of doing some form of LFR. The game is almost as casual now as it was in Wrath.

I can only assme that the next xpac will be Wrath like in gameplay style, which was a little more casual as the current game.

This expansion, while being the first one fully supporting a LFR system, is arguably one of the least casual accessible expansions to date (even if I like the lore and other stuff). Too many dailies, long LFR wings which more often than not don't reward anything, hard normal raids, VP cap very long to reach, extremely long and alt-unfriendly leveling process.

You dont HAVE to do dailies. If you take that out of the equation esp. since there is another tier of raiding now dailies are more obsolete. They even said people were hitting exalted before finishing the Isle.

I have been a dps from the time I started playing till the time I quit. I only ever felt forced to do dailies (of course I always did daily quests) when there was a really nice item locked behind rep. most of the time a trinket.

I do love this game not what it has turned into with this expansion. I would play Cata for 2 more years if it meant taking back 90% of what MoP brought. I am officially done with the game. I would like to come back possibly next expansion and settle back into a good solid raiding environment again but they keep going the wrong direction.

I wasnt a casual by any means MoP just made me feel sick while playing it.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

If anything, this expansion is the most casual so far. MoP>WotLK>Cata>TBC>Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    The situation is this. In Cata people complained that there was nothing to do (I disagree).

So Blizzard (not for the first time), goes from one extreme to the other. In MoP, there's too much to do. Too much dailies too much grinding. Casuals probably don't like this.
    pretty much this is you want to do all thing you can in a day (daily) it would take a huge amount of time, not all player like that, as for me, i do have some time to play wow, not as much as i would but, the time i pass ingame i dont really pass it on only doing daily and grind. this is my opinion thou. I do daily when i feel to do so, but i wont pass my whole gaming time doing it

Blizzard: "Hey Casuals, have your LFR and daily quests!"
    Casuals: "No thanks, we'll play other games."

It might just be casual players are bored of logging in every single day to do the same thing, working towards no other goal than minor PVP or LFR. Some might stop to ask, "Why am I bothering again?"