Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Huge lag, when running 3 WoW windows at once!

Hello!
    I have no idea why my computer just goes all apeshit, when i run 3 windows :S
    Ive got zero FPS drop when im running 2! But once i log in on that third account, my whole computer lags like crazy!

Heres my specs:
    MSI Z77A-G45
    Evga Geforce 670 FTW Edition
    Core I5-3570K (Overclocked to 4.2Ghz)
    12Gb DDR3 1333 MHz RAM

The temperatures doesnt go all crazy, so have no idea whats wrong..
    CPU stays under 55 degrees celcius, and the GPU is at around 70 degrees celcius.
    So the temperatures are fine!

Thanks for your help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nke View Post
    Hello!
    I have no idea why my computer just goes all apeshit, when i run 3 windows :S
    Ive got zero FPS drop when im running 2! But once i log in on that third account, my whole computer lags like crazy!

Heres my specs:
    MSI Z77A-G45
    Evga Geforce 670 FTW Edition
    Core I5-3570K (Overclocked to 4.2Ghz)
    12Gb DDR3 1333 MHz RAM

The temperatures doesnt go all crazy, so have no idea whats wrong..
    CPU stays under 55 degrees celcius, and the GPU is at around 70 degrees celcius.
    So the temperatures are fine!

Thanks for your help!
    I would take a punt at the fact you don't have hyperthreading with that CPU so your running out of processing threads.

Deleted
    Temperatures are not everything though.

Is all three clients running at max settings, or are you turning your settings down? Have you had this issue in the past?

The only thing I can think of is... it's either a bottleneck of your CPU (unlikely, but probable) or your RAM being maxed. How much CPU usage are you seeing? Now, with 12GiB RAM the latter really shouldn't happen unless one of the sticks is faulty/not registering properly, etc. I'd try approaching this the following way:

- Turn settings all the way down. Does the issue persist? Did CPU usage change?
    - Seat and re-seat your RAM modules to see if any one module is causing the issue.

Deleted
    Wow, thanks for all the fast answers!
    My CPU usages is between 35% to 60% max.
    Memory usage is at 8.30 GB.
    This is with 3 windows open, all on ultra in 1920x1080.
    Along with that im running Chrome, skype, utorrent and more..

As for the reason why i have 3 accounts, is for a few reasons:
    1, i like trying to "solo" raids etc, and im doing this while playing on all characters at the same time (Which obviously really isnt soloing
    2, i usually have one character standing near the auctionhouse, so i can read trade chat, and check if some of my items have been undercutted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    This is a good point. Another point, very related, is that the OP is likely just choking up the 4 available cores.

I have to question why he's running 3 WoW windows. If multiboxing, it's generally considered for you to make one window full screen/large, and the other running in very very small windows. Hell, I know that some people minimize all but the first window, though that does introduce some delay in following and such (this is a by-Windows design that's done to optimize performance - same reason you don't get a 'live view' toolbar preview with minimized windows). Also, all except the primary window should be run at absolute minimum settings.
    since every WoW process takes up at least 1 core at all times, and a number of side processes on a second core, and you're also running your OS, virusscanner and other background processes at the same time, using up all 4 cores at once is pretty likely. it's very likely that WoW1 takes a core, WoW2 takes another core, and Windows takes a 3rd core, while those background and side processes from WoW take up all available processing power on the 4th core. so if you're running a 3rd process, you're not going to have a core to run them on. I think you should either get a hexacore, an octocore or a quad core that supports hyperthreading.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 02:26 PM ----------

1, i like trying to "solo" raids etc, and im doing this while playing on all characters at the same time (Which obviously really isnt soloing
    2, i usually have one character standing near the auctionhouse, so i can read trade chat, and check if some of my items have been undercutted.
    I'm surprised that your usage numbers are so low, especially your memory usage. Windows usually takes 2 GB in assorted processes, each wow client uses another 1.5 or so. and every chrome tab is another chrome process that takes space, usually between 3-600MB per tab.

edit: could you provide a list of running processes from your task manager?
    Last edited by mmocb0245d6bcb; 2013-04-26 at 12:26 PM.

You've answered your own questions yourself.

Deleted
    Ill try to run 2 of them in low mode

Thanks all!

Ill try to run 2 of them in low mode

Thanks all!
    Yes, that should solve most of your problems. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Then don't run them at Ultra and don't run them at the max resolution. If you play in fullscreen, run 2 of them in small windows at low settings. If you play in Windowed mode like I do, it's easier to manage it all. Ultra is your big problem and I'd guarantee that this is choking up your GPU (WoW can use around 900MB VRAM at ultra 1080p, so running 3 of them is causing it to offload some things to system RAM resulting in reduced FPS, and offloading further to your drive which causes massive drops).

Run 2 of them at low settings in small-medium sized windows, and the other one you should be able to push to Ultra.
    I'd have left this @ the first post and closed it, 3 wow windows there is your huge lag. An i7 will not multibox any better than an i5, wow isn't going to magically start running on hyperthreads. This is a old as WoW multiboxing itself, you'll either have 2 minimal windows w/ a switching program pwnboxer etc or you are going to have an alt tab party w/ tiny windows and resizing each time you need to switch. Other solutions have been using servers KVM etc etc. You really aren't going to ever get full performance from wow in 1 window let alone 3.

I have a different setup and the same problem. One of my windows would have awful latency and the characters standing right beside it had sub 40ms latency. Wow has a shitload of problems right now. Lag from time to time for no reason, dx11 is a fucking trainwreck and bugs are at an all time high. It's simply a lower standard than they used to have. We used to bitch about small orc shoulders, and that took forever to fix but wasn't a huge priority because the real bugs were. Now they're not. Exploits last for about twice as long as they did pre-cata.

I doubt it's your system or anything you can fix.

You can run the shit in low mode with a 10fps cap in low resolution and it won't help/hurt.

Deleted
    Three WoW windows is nothing. I know that because I used to multibox WoW in both open world and dungeons on an Intel Core 2 Duo machine Win7 x64 8GB RAM with zero issues whatsoever.

Assuming nothing essential has changed with WoW since Cata (big assumption since Blizzard seem to be aggresively going after botters or gradually removing multiboxing support in MoP plus issues outlined by manipulation), then it sounds like your other apps are interfering. Are you using special software to multibox?

Reducing resolution can help with FPS, but given I had an extremely old graphics card, I rather doubt it will help with that type of lag.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-26 at 01:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Assuming nothing essential has changed with WoW since Cata
    Except for the fact that the graphics engine had fairly large updates for both Cata and MoP...

Running 3 clients at 1080p on Ultra just won't happen on an i5/670 combo.

This sounds vaguely like a bragging thread. You can barely get consistent frames on a SINGLE client at these settings, so what did you think would happen on three?

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Except for the fact that the graphics engine had fairly large updates for both Cata and MoP...

Running 3 clients at 1080p on Ultra just won't happen on an i5/670 combo.
    Just wondering here... What would you suggest the minimum would be for an eyefinity display at 5760x1200?

Currently I'm still running an i7 930 clocked at 4.2 ghz but I wonder about the video card. I run a 6970 card slightly overclocked with 2 windows np at ultra unless I raid one then it's a very slight performance loss. I'm wondering what I'd need to run the third monitor.

-Nish
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    This sounds vaguely like a bragging thread. You can barely get consistent frames on a SINGLE client at these settings, so what did you think would happen on three?
    How could it possibly be about bragging, when shit isnt working ? ;o

Anyway, the reason i assumed it was fine, is because people multibox like 5 accounts at once, so i figured 3 wouldnt be a problem
    And the reason i thought it would work on ultra, is because i didnt get ANY fps drop with 2 clients open..

Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post
    Just wondering here... What would you suggest the minimum would be for an eyefinity display at 5760x1200?

Currently I'm still running an i7 930 clocked at 4.2 ghz but I wonder about the video card. I run a 6970 card slightly overclocked with 2 windows np at ultra unless I raid one then it's a very slight performance loss. I'm wondering what I'd need to run the third monitor.

-Nish
    Start a new thread.

ust wondering here... What would you suggest the minimum would be for an eyefinity display at 5760x1200?
    3x Titan + 3970x isn't going to run 3x1920x1200 at 60 FPS 100% of the time with all of the graphics settings maxed even doing "boring" stuff like taking flight paths.

You can get a pretty stable 60-ish FPS "most of the time" on 2x Titan + 3970x but as soon as you head into a large raid you'll be back in the 40 FPS range just like everyone else.

If you don't mind turning down graphics settings then better frame rates are possible - it's a question of how crappy you're prepared to go. Knocking off MSAA and shadows and knocking back view distance to 1400 I find 2x7970 ghz + 3770k is enough to maintain a playable frame rate (above 30 FPS all the time, often over 60 FPS). It's worth knowing that field of view in warcraft will cause your side displays to become very distorted. It's a neat gimmick but IMO it makes the game worse rather than better.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2013-04-26 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    3x Titan + 3970x isn't going to run 3x1920x1200 at 60 FPS 100% of the time with all of the graphics settings maxed even doing "boring" stuff like taking flight paths.

You can get a pretty stable 60-ish FPS "most of the time" on 2x Titan + 3970x but as soon as you head into a large raid you'll be back in the 40 FPS range just like everyone else.

If you don't mind turning down graphics settings then better frame rates are possible - it's a question of how crappy you're prepared to go. Knocking off MSAA and shadows and knocking back view distance to 1400 I find 2x7970 ghz + 3770k is enough to maintain a playable frame rate (above 30 FPS all the time, often over 60 FPS). It's worth knowing that field of view in warcraft will cause your side displays to become very distorted. It's a neat gimmick but IMO it makes the game worse rather than better.
    Are you overclocking your cpu? I ask because my 930 stock was something like 3.2-3.3 ghz? I overclocked to 4.2 and saw 10-15 fps increase at the time. If you could oc to 5.0 (like you can with many i5 chips) then you would probably gain quite a bit from it (assuming you're not now).

-Nish
    Last edited by Nish77; 2013-04-26 at 08:47 PM.
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

If you could oc to 5.0 (like you can with many i5 chips) then you would probably gain quite a bit from it (assuming you're not now).
    I am at 4.7 ghz. It helps a bit, but not nearly as much as you'd might think.

Nish77/evn, please take your conversation to Nish's thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1292539