1. #1

    The /train noise and a serious question

    How does the Horde know what a train sounds like when they do /train?

    I know they have their rocket way, but that is not a locomotive powered by steam.

    This perplexes me, often causes me to stare at the moon on long cold nights, and often I sip a cup of tea and nod at the moon while I ponder this.

    Any ideas about this strange mystery?

  2. #2
    Emotes aren't canon.

    It's just for the lulz

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire unrealeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SCOTLAND, FREEDOOOM!
    Posts
    469
    I think it's because it's a game and not real life.

  4. #4
    The Alliance does not have steam engines either.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  5. #5
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,234
    as an aside to this...i was just thinking yesterday as i stood in the AH with an alt...how much i fucking hate the trainset...why would blizzard ever put such an amalgamation of evil in the game. On my main, i just have my wind up train wrecker on keybind and insta kill it...but i dont have on on my alt and realized i was stuck with it...i really wish they would just remove it. I muted my speakers and that was a temp fix.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    as an aside to this...i was just thinking yesterday as i stood in the AH with an alt...how much i fucking hate the trainset...why would blizzard ever put such an amalgamation of evil in the game. On my main, i just have my wind up train wrecker on keybind and insta kill it...but i dont have on on my alt and realized i was stuck with it...i really wish they would just remove it. I muted my speakers and that was a temp fix.
    That is why "media keys" are mandatory
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    363

  8. #8
    Obviously in the WoW universe, the Toy Train was obviously invented as a toy before the idea of actual full sized trains has been created so they're all making the noises of the toy train and not a real train.. because they've never seen a real train before, that would be absurd.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Obviously in the WoW universe, the Toy Train was obviously invented as a toy before the idea of actual full sized trains has been created so they're all making the noises of the toy train and not a real train.. because they've never seen a real train before, that would be absurd.
    The train emote was in the game 4 years before the Toy Train Set was.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The train emote was in the game 4 years before the Toy Train Set was.
    Ah but the set was in Dalaran, which we couldn't get to before then, so obviously people had been trolling others with the trainset before Dalaran put up its shield, long before it moved to Northrend

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Ah but the set was in Dalaran, which we couldn't get to before then, so obviously people had been trolling others with the trainset before Dalaran put up its shield, long before it moved to Northrend
    People in OG were getting annoyed when somebody in Dalaran placed a train set?

    Plausible.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Crym View Post
    This would have to be the most accurate answer. As the little Horde were tucked in before their parents headed out for the evening to mercilessly slaughter the Alliance, they would listen to their toy train run in circles.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 02:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Ah but the set was in Dalaran, which we couldn't get to before then, so obviously people had been trolling others with the trainset before Dalaran put up its shield, long before it moved to Northrend
    and this hypothesis would support such evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    sure you can have Dreanei warlocks

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    People in OG were getting annoyed when somebody in Dalaran placed a train set?

    Plausible.
    Orcs were trapped in an internment camp just a stones throw from dalaran for a few years.

    I'd go with it.

  14. #14
    It is a lesser known fact that orcs of the past had one of the best run metro systems to date. Unfortunately when their planet was destroyed almost all evidence of this was destroyed. Due to worry over another catastrophic event like this they went to zepplin based transit.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    as an aside to this...i was just thinking yesterday as i stood in the AH with an alt...how much i fucking hate the trainset...why would blizzard ever put such an amalgamation of evil in the game. On my main, i just have my wind up train wrecker on keybind and insta kill it...but i dont have on on my alt and realized i was stuck with it...i really wish they would just remove it. I muted my speakers and that was a temp fix.
    This is something you find annoying?

    It's a shame that there's a cd on the train, frankly. Just to watch folks actually scream 'griefing!'.

    *chuckle*
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    as an aside to this...i was just thinking yesterday as i stood in the AH with an alt...how much i fucking hate the trainset...why would blizzard ever put such an amalgamation of evil in the game. On my main, i just have my wind up train wrecker on keybind and insta kill it...but i dont have on on my alt and realized i was stuck with it...i really wish they would just remove it. I muted my speakers and that was a temp fix.
    The lil' XT pet breaks trains.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    How does the Horde know what a train sounds like when they do /train?

    I know they have their rocket way, but that is not a locomotive powered by steam.

    This perplexes me, often causes me to stare at the moon on long cold nights, and often I sip a cup of tea and nod at the moon while I ponder this.

    Any ideas about this strange mystery?
    On a similar note, how is it that most of the horde can apparently build wonderful siege weapons, twin-balloon balanced airships, devise all sorts of chemical weaponry, be allied with blood elves who can make giant sprawling palaces, but apparently can't find a single orc mason that know how to cut stone in a straight goddamn line?

    Silvermoon = lifestyles of the rich and famous
    Orgimmar = Kentucky trailer park.

    Hopefully org gets levelled, so someone with a clue can rebuilt it
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  18. #18
    Banned True Anarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shadowlag Valley
    Posts
    7,601
    The Warcraft series never fully took themselves serious. It always has made fun at itself at many occassions... It doesn't try to depict a super serious fantasy world, it tries to have fun ... ergo many pop culture references.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •