Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose it's good, unions force some businesses to hire only union workers

Quote Originally Posted by Dezarus View Post
    I suppose it's good, unions force some businesses to hire only union workers
    No, unions get employers to sign contracts saying they'll only hire union workers and employers abide by the contracts they sign.

Its people who support Right To Be Fired who want to come in and say "no unions, you can't have these contracts signed, they're illegal now".

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its not evil. Its how you maintain a decent place to live. If you don't want to pay the costs of living in America no one is making you stay.

They are voted by the public. We elect the people who make those decisions. If you want fewer roads vote for someone who wants fewer roads.
    Let me get this straight. I want this country to live up to the Constitution that is was founded on and I am the one who is the problem?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, unions get employers to sign contracts saying they'll only hire union workers and employers abide by the contracts they sign.
    Yes, which i don't agree with... if I want to be hired I shouldn't have to join a union

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty stupid of them. Hard enough to sell lard-laced snack cakes these days without people boycotting your products.

I want to thank them because now it really makes eating some Hostess junk a turn off.
    I like sandwiches

Because he believes in freedom*
    Unfortunately that includes the freedom to mooch off the hard earned pay fought for him by the unions of the company who for without giving nothing back.

Now imagine the uproar if they had a way to have what the union fought for only apply to union members, that would be interesting watching people complain how they dropped from the union and lost some of their vacation time, took a decent pay cut, and had some of their extra safety equipment taken from them by the company as they were fought for by the union which they were no longer a member of..... Would be fucked up and insightful at the same time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandius View Post
    Let me get this straight. I want this country to live up to the Constitution that is was founded on and I am the one who is the problem?
    So you want to subscribe only to the bill of rights, or do you believe in the entire constitution? Because the government collecting taxes to fund publicly funded programs is in the constitution you know. Or do you go against the constitution in not wanting to pay your taxes?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

The Constitution allows for taxes.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 03:41 PM ----------

Yes, which i don't agree with... if I want to be hired I shouldn't have to join a union
    If you want to be hired by a company you have to sign the contract that they offer you. If you don't like the terms they offer then tough shit.

As soon as they can make sure to pay you less than the union members with fewer paid days off and less safety equipment as they were just bonuses they union got for them without messing up anything else, then that will be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Taxes aren't theft. That you've been led to believe that is proof how much you've swallowed propaganda hook line and sinker. Taxes and publicly funded programs are the reason you get to enjoy first world comforts. But if you think that taxes which go to fund public assistance programs is theft, then there are plenty of countries that don't steal from its hard working citizens via taxes (aka theft!!!!!!!!), like Somalia.
    Why do you believe it is acceptable for the government to take from one private citizen and give to another? The whole idea this country was founded on was one of INDIVIDUAL liberty and freedom. The government violates that founding principle so many times in a single day that people thing it is the norm and they way things should be. I disagree.

Are we allowed to means test for government entitlements (no I do not mean social security as that is not an entitlement).
    Are we allowed to drug test people taking the entitlements?
    Are we allowed to designate what they can and cannot spend money on if they take money from entitlements?

Why do you believe it is acceptable for the government to take from one private citizen and give to another? The whole idea this country was founded on was one of INDIVIDUAL liberty and freedom. The government violates that founding principle so many times in a single day that people thing it is the norm and they way things should be. I disagree.

Are we allowed to means test for government entitlements (no I do not mean social security as that is not an entitlement).
    Are we allowed to drug test people taking the entitlements?
    Are we allowed to designate what they can and cannot spend money on if they take money from entitlements?
    You do know the Constitution gives government to power to tax and spend right? Did you not read that part?

You have no right to a job if you don't want to sign the contract Laize.
    Oh that's just not true and hasn't been for 65 years. You can't grant unions the power to determine who an employer is allowed to hire or who they must fire.

Taft-Hartley was a compromise between Republicans and Democrats back when compromising was a thing that Congress did. Get over it.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Why is your answer to any workplace issue is "quit and find another job then!" except when it's involving union membership being a job requirement?
    It's hardly the same thing when the employer is strong-armed by lawmakers into signing a union contract. In many cases the contract is under coercion to begin with and should be null and void.

Oh that's just not true and hasn't been for 65 years. You can't grant unions the power to determine who an employer is allowed to hire or who they must fire.
    You can grant unions whatever power they get from contracts their employers sign.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Constitution allows for taxes.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 03:41 PM ----------

If you want to be hired by a company you have to sign the contract that they offer you. If you don't like the terms they offer then tough shit.
    I think just from reading these forums that we can assume Republicans like the constitution... except they prefer to ignore the 14th, 15th, 16th and 24th amendments a lot.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I had a twinkie once, at best it was mediocre and I do not understand why people rave about them so much.
    It's something people normally eat when their kids, and then if they keep their sweet tooth as they grow up they'll still like it. I haven't eaten a twinkie in like 17 years, I remember enjoying them as a child, but I don't really eat sweets anymore so I doubt I would enjoy eating it if I ate one today.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

You do know the Constitution gives government to power to tax and spend right? Did you not read that part?
    Yes and I am not saying taxes are unconstitutional, I am saying that taking tax money from one citizen in order to give it to another is. I noticed you ignored the other questions in my post.

Yes and I am not saying taxes are unconstitutional, I am saying that taking tax money from one citizen in order to give it to another is. I noticed you ignored the other questions in my post.
    No its really not. They have the power to tax. They have the power to spend.
    I think just from reading these forums that we can assume Republicans like the constitution... except they prefer to ignore the 14th, 15th, 16th and 24th amendments a lot.
    See:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...bassem-youssef

The only amendment they take seriously is the 2nd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that is not what welfare is anymore than insurance is "taking money from one person to give it to another".

People of your ilk have this constant "Me, Me, Me" attitude going on, and seem to be incapable of grasping the difference between individual gain and social gain. Public assistance programs are one of the core strengths of modern first world nations; chances are you have indirectly benefitted from such programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I've always looked at it this way; having actually been a member of the work force for some time, having served in both union shops and non union shops:

Business execs, and Union execs are both a bunch of self-interested greedy assholes who don't give a shit except for getting as much money into their own pocket for as little investment of time as possible.

So the difference is the fact that the business exec gives you a little bit of his money in order to achieve that goal, and the union exec takes a little bit of yours to achieve that goal.

And I don't know about you, but I'd much rather vote for the guy giving me money than the guy taking my money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I commend them for trying to keep costs down.
    Cause the problem with Twinkies was the high prices...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-