Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    I'm not going to tell you to find a different job or line of work. That's sometimes impossible, depending on the situation. I understand that, and honestly am sorry that the conditions where you work are that bad. It's a shitty situation to get stuck in, and I do understand that in this particular case your union has probably helped you immensely. Maybe I shouldn't have made a generalization in saying that all unions operate in the same way or promote those same qualities in their workers. I do, however, still believe that - outside of special circumstances where employers aren't taking care of their employees how they should, such as in your case where safety appears to be a concern - most unions are used as a crutch. Not everyone in a union is a lazy or bad worker, but many times their job security comes from just doing the bare minimum required, whereas someone in a non-union job would find themselves unemployed in the same scenario.
    Then the sweeping generalization that unions are evil isn't true. In some industries they're still needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Then the sweeping generalization that unions are evil isn't true. In some industries they're still needed.
    In very few, perhaps. Outside of extraordinary circumstances where people are being treated like Oompa Loompas, I don't believe they are. And even then, I'd prefer that government regulations would ensure people weren't being overworked, put at unnecessary risk, or underpaid for the work they were doing. There really should be no ability for a group of workers to just up and tell their employer that they don't quit, but aren't willing to work, and good luck hiring someone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Having a political beef with unions doesn't make it any less illegal.
    Not political, but purely commercial.

Isn't it normal to favor people who cause less trouble and accept lower salaries?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Not political, but purely commercial.

Isn't it normal to favor people who cause less trouble and accept lower salaries?
    If they cause trouble, are lazy, and are annoying, then yes, I'd expect you to promote people who aren't any of those things over that person. But people aren't necessarily those things because they're union either. If you have a beef with union regulations and think people cause trouble because of that, then it's still illegal. Some union regulations are silly, but the majority of them are there for the worker's safety and well being. Just because some non union people are willing to "work harder" (i.e. put themselves in harm's way because they don't know any better) doesn't mean they're a better worker. In fact they're more likely to cost the company money.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

ha you people are funny.

I love how a lot of people looking in, with no experience with unions like to shit on them when they have no understanding of how they work. I work in a industry with a union, and I can tell you for a fact if I am lazy, mess up or do whatever to piss my supervisor off I can still be fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Yeah super illegal to favor people who cause less trouble and possibly demand lower wages.
    Yeah I know you're not from this country and all, but in many states it is illegal to punish workers for joining a union.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    To say I have no real interest in freedom when I am the one advocating for freedom when you are the one advocating for a government to run your life for you is laughable.
    Which clearly shows you didn't read a word I wrote. I have some real choice words for people who claim to know what I'm arguing for when I've never actually SAID what I'm arguing for.

/goodbye
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good decision. I will buy more twinkies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Which clearly shows you didn't read a word I wrote. I have some real choice words for people who claim to know what I'm arguing for when I've never actually SAID what I'm arguing for.

/goodbye
    When one's view of liberty is liberty insofar as what one's religion says, then I would agree that one does not truly value liberty.

He claims to be for liberty, but like many others who make this claim, it's only liberty that he is comfortable with.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've got to love anti-union sentiment. I'll be blunt.

Multi-national, publicly-listed companies are bastards. They are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. They will fuck you over if you let them. Hence unions.

Do you like your public holidays? Your weekends? Your lack of 14-hour shifts? Your safe working conditions? Your anti-discrimination laws?

Look, I get unions aren't perfect. I know there's been in various countries at points in history organised crime links. I get that some people don't want to pay union dues... But let's be brutally honest here. Look how companies like EA and their ilk suck in, burn up and crap out fresh-eyed graduate programmers. That's a completely non-unionised industry in America. Imagine if those workers could stay doing what they love in a fair and balanced workplace with their skillsets, investing passion and not just rushing to meet crunch time.

Here's another example. Here in Australia I pay more for my food at a restaurant, but I don't have to leave a tip. We don't have a tipping culture because food is priced accordingly so that waiters get paid what they're bloody worth instead of some piss-ant four-dollar-an-hour crap. It doesn't bother me however, because I get paid what I'm worth in my job. End of the day though, it's the hospitality union championing the rights of that waiter that mean they get income protection and don't have to run the risk of pricks who don't tip. Everybody wins, even the restaurant owner. He's paying higher wages, but I'm paying more for his product so it balances out. No losers.

God, seriously folks. Why does everyone have to be sociopaths? If we keep replacing every unskilled laborer with a robot or a foreign worker who'll do the same job for one-tenth of the cost, you just have the lowest echelon of society relying on social welfare and handouts... Which breeds a welfare mentality and all kinds of other social problems. Even low-skill labor can still instill some sense of order, self-sufficiency and pride in ones'-self. Unionisation labor ensures those people get to be their best, have their oppourtunities to better themselves if they so wish and also not get ground into the dust at the same time.

People are more important than corporations. The end.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.