Deleted

Killer escaped prison after being issued picture of master key to all locks

For some reason, I thought this was freaking hilarious and disturbing at the same time:

http://mobile.news.com.au/national-n...-1226629878591

UK learnt the expensive way:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2006...g.youthjustice

With future technologies it cannot only get potentially more common and costly. Imagine advanced camera phones and 3D printing alone ...

Physical keys are so obsolete!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-26 at 05:21 PM.

Deleted
    do they really need to replace every lock in the prison because the key was breifly on TV? o.0

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    do they really need to replace every lock in the prison because the key was breifly on TV? o.0
    i would say they would have to replace every lock that it would open
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    i would say they would have to replace every lock that it would open

i didn't realise a key was that easy to replicate from just a picture :P

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why we use electronic FOB's for the secured areas at my work.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combo lock people, it's full of win.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Why are prisons still using a physical cut key anyway? Every building I've been in to in the last 10 years seems to be pretty secure with RFID cards and door locks...I'd love to see a prisoner forge one of those in their cell.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    That first story about the prisoner was pretty funny. It would only be better if the guards would speak in riddles when it came to anything about the book. Hinting towards freedom being right in front of the prisoners eyes.

Who had the bright idea of using their master key as a logo design anyway? That just screams "SECURITY BREACH" from the start..

10+ Year Old Account
    You can buy bump keys that will open 90% of the locks on most houses in a matter of seconds.

Physical keys really are outdated.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Why are prisons still using a physical cut key anyway? Every building I've been in to in the last 10 years seems to be pretty secure with RFID cards and door locks...I'd love to see a prisoner forge one of those in their cell.
    Because technology is scary, and hackers and the guvmint will install secret tracking devices that can read your farts if we don't go back to dinosaur drawn carriages and cave paintings.

(I.e. people fear what they don't understand, and it's easier to just keep living in the past than to learn about the things that they don't understand).

I mean honestly, there's absolutely no reason for physical currency to exist. Government spend billions of dollars in tax money on physical currency, even though computers can handle money for pennies on the dollar. But what if hackers blah blah blah. (because that's so much worse than having somebody stab you in the face to take your wallet)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    You can buy bump keys that will open 90% of the locks on most houses in a matter of seconds.
    Well that's disturbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

That is some pretty impressive memory to say the least.

Deleted
    Idk I've seen high security keys that would be extremely hard to copy unless you saw all 4 sides clearly including some indication about depth. Most prison locks are probably rather old though.

I further don't understand why you would want to have a master key for all cells and not just for a block or a row? That is a huge restriction on what variation of locks you can actually have in your prison.