Poll: Bring back mana management?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Bring back mana management?

I think we can all pretty much agree that to run out of mana in pvp these days, you must be doing something wrong.

In vanilla, casters used to run out of mana so fast. I remember constantly drinking on my mage.

Nowadays, the only way I can run out of mana is by spamming Spellsteal, Healers NEVER (Like really never.) run out of mana.

Sometimes kills we're made with wands (may god have their souls.) because of the lack of mana to cast a final spell.

I think that aspect of the game made it much more immersing and really made a mage feel like a mage.

Would you like to bring back mana management for casters and healers?

Yes. Managing my mana back in wrath was alot of fun & challenging.

It's pretty lame now, and gc have said on twitter that mages aren't supposed to oom..

Mana for healers plays a reasonably big part in gameplay for Priests/Monks already. Not so much for Druids/Shamans/Paladins, but they have other concerns other than mana.

Shadow Priest, Ele Shaman, Enh Shaman, Destro Lock, Mages (vs teams with lots of dispel fodder) and Rets all have interesting ways of managing mana - and the risk of running oom is always a constant worry if the other team make it difficult for you to regen mana (dispelling VT, kicking Lightning bolts, keep enh out of melee range, etc).

I personally think mana is in a pretty good position - if mana management was more punishing then non-hybrid melee would be the kings of arena.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Mana for healers plays a reasonably big part in gameplay for Priests/Monks already. Not so much for Druids/Shamans/Paladins, but they have other concerns other than mana.

Shadow Priest, Ele Shaman, Enh Shaman, Destro Lock, Mages (vs teams with lots of dispel fodder) and Rets all have interesting ways of managing mana - and the risk of running oom is always a constant worry if the other team make it difficult for you to regen mana (dispelling VT, kicking Lightning bolts, keep enh out of melee range, etc).

I personally think mana is in a pretty good position - if mana management was more punishing then non-hybrid melee would be the kings of arena.
    I agree and I would add that Shaman can get oom very fast too, when other team is training him, as well as druid will eventually run out of mana in long wizard vs wizard cleaves matchups. Holy mostly plays with cleaves and after he bubles and trinkets he dies or wins, so usually not. Casters however do not run out of mana how they used, but as Snuggli mentioned there still are some of them who do.

As an energy user i feel poor since i can actually spend my resource and have to wait for regen while that mage just spams his lances happily. Hybrids can lose mana if they spend them on heals and healers can run out of mana if trained well. So just make locks and mages actually care about mana and we're good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yogie View Post
    As an energy user i feel poor since i can actually spend my resource and have to wait for regen while that mage just spams his lances happily. Hybrids can lose mana if they spend them on heals and healers can run out of mana if trained well. So just make locks and mages actually care about mana and we're good.
    Warlocks already have to manage their health better, adding even more management would just make the class too complicated. Mages already go oom when they are doing crazy with spellsteal, no need to change anything else tbh.

15+ Year Old Account
    I t is a factor for mw monks but I tend to use very mana efficient spells(though I do not have a lot of burst healing) so I almost never go oom unless other healers die or I just never die.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Hum...I have a resto druid @ 1700 rbg, and i struggle with mana when my team faces a higher MMR team, sometimes we need to switch healers and go drink, becase we just cant keep that intense healing....

The point was very precise above, healers mana are fine, the ones needing more "spending" or managing are the casters

Deleted
    Yes. I would like for some healers to have mana management brought back.
    On my resto druid i can heal forever without being close to getting oom while
    on my priest i will be oomed extremely fast.

Make resto shamans, holy paladins and resto druids fight smarter for their mana
    instead of letting them faceroll however they please without risk of getting oom.

Deleted
    Well Holinka tweeted today:

Quote Originally Posted by Holinka
    Bunch of tweets here. First, agree the game could benefit from less burst, more sustained, less healing, less CC, mana matters.

Point out at the end, MANA MATTERS.

Well wow finally gets pvp dev who understands things, the shameful thing is they don't want to do big changes mid expansion. They already wanted to remove the blankets, but were to afraid that it would change the balance too much. Anyway, the changes seem to be in the right direction, like latests pvp power nerf.

Deleted
    Making a caster run OOM used to be a very valid tactic to killing them.

You could force them to self heal or cast defensive spells by applying pressure until they ran OOM.

The idea of mana is they were powerful right off the bat with a finite resource but unless they managed it well they would run OOM. Exiting combat to drink was a very common gameplay tactic for them.

Now they have been given effectively unlimited mana and a ton of instants its no longer a viable strategy to OOM them, so the game became all about burst and CC.

Considering i can hard-cast 3 healing surges omy Enh shaman before i'm oom.... I want more mana, not harder to manage mana.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue The Shaman View Post
    Considering i can hard-cast 3 healing surges omy Enh shaman before i'm oom.... I want more mana, not harder to manage mana.
    But enha has other problems to worry about too. Even GC has pointed it to be "annoying weakish spec". Good thing that it usually gets trained by melee so there is usually always someone to regen mana at.