What kind of cpu/oc + vid card will run this?

Wow eyefinity/nvidia-surround at 5760 x 1200 with full ultra settings... What would it take?

I'm currently running an i7 930 oc'd to 4.2 with a radeon 6970 on two 1920 x 1200 monitors and most things run fine. If I raid on one there is a bit of fps loss, though. I've held off from going 3 monitors because I believed no video card could handle it with ultra settings and very fast fps. I also don't think that SLI is the way to go with WoW traditionally not making use of it too much (as far as I used to know) and the microstutter that I believe has been remedied lately with a few tweaks or programs.

Anyways, If anyone has been following hardware.. should I buy a vid card now or wait till next gen? Which vid card and what kind of cpu/oc speed should I have?

Thanks,

-Nish
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post
    Wow eyefinity/nvidia-surround at 5760 x 1200 with full ultra settings... What would it take?

I'm currently running an i7 930 oc'd to 4.2 with a radeon 6970 on two 1920 x 1200 monitors and most things run fine. If I raid on one there is a bit of fps loss, though. I've held off from going 3 monitors because I believed no video card could handle it with ultra settings and very fast fps. I also don't think that SLI is the way to go with WoW traditionally not making use of it too much (as far as I used to know) and the microstutter that I believe has been remedied lately with a few tweaks or programs.

Anyways, If anyone has been following hardware.. should I buy a vid card now or wait till next gen? Which vid card and what kind of cpu/oc speed should I have?

Thanks,

-Nish
    I recommend reading this from Toms': http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

If you got either the Titan or the new 7990 you could handle a 3 monitor setup, but they're $1k video cards. Your processor should be fine.
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

Yeah, that price for the vid card is insane. I can't imagine spending that much. I amazingly spent like 500 dollars on a 6800 ultra back in 2004 before WoW Beta came out and that lasted till Dalaran (2 fps at that point). It was very good at the time for vanilla, though. That was a lot then adjusted for inflation. However, 1k for a vid card is insane. It will be obsolete to cards that are 600 dollars or less in a year and a half.

-Nish
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    In raids, the biggest issue is your CPU, not your GPU. Higher resolution doesn't really effect the CPU much, but i'll tell you right now, you 're not goin to play at 5760x1200 very well on ultra unless you fork over some dough. Grab a 3570k and OC it to ~4.5ghz, or wait for haswell to come out in a month or two and do the same with the 4670k. It's not goin to run raids flawlessly. No CPU can. Just gonna have to deal with ~40 FPS lows (honestly, 40 FPS isnt bad, at least not to me. 45+ looks fine.)

On the topic of a GPU, i wouldn't run anything less than a Titan, SLI 670s, or a 690. I don't recommend Crossfire as it's still riddled with issues.

Nvidia is your best bet for 2-GPU solutions, AMD still has bugs. 690, Titan or 2x 670. If I could choose, Titan because it isn't SLI but is still as powerful as 690.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    In raids, the biggest issue is your CPU, not your GPU. Higher resolution doesn't really effect the CPU much, but i'll tell you right now, you 're not goin to play at 5760x1200 very well on ultra unless you fork over some dough. Grab a 3570k and OC it to ~4.5ghz, or wait for haswell to come out in a month or two and do the same with the 4670k. It's not goin to run raids flawlessly. No CPU can. Just gonna have to deal with ~40 FPS lows (honestly, 40 FPS isnt bad, at least not to me. 45+ looks fine.)

On the topic of a GPU, i wouldn't run anything less than a Titan, SLI 670s, or a 690. I don't recommend Crossfire as it's still riddled with issues.
    You could easily get the first or second batch of i5's to 5.0ghz. I dunno why you'd need Haswell. I'm kind of thinking that unless they make better ocing cpus that the better gaming chips will be the older ones. Newer motherboards are nicer, though.

People have been playing high res 3 screen wow since WotLK. I still don't think that the cards are up there enough to deal with it. CPU does matter with WoW but with very high res you need a good vid card. The prices of vid cards right now are just ridiculous though.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could easily get the first or second batch of i5's to 5.0ghz. I dunno why you'd need Haswell. I'm kind of thinking that unless they make better ocing cpus that the better gaming chips will be the older ones. Newer motherboards are nicer, though.
    I assume you mean Sandy Bridge? I wouldnt say they got to 5ghz -easily-. They still took some nuturing to get there.

I never said you need haswell it was simply an option, as they should be out in the next month or two, and will provide a (slight) improvement over ivy bridge and potentially better overclocking.

People have been playing high res 3 screen wow since WotLK. I still don't think that the cards are up there enough to deal with it. CPU does matter with WoW but with very high res you need a good vid card. The prices of vid cards right now are just ridiculous though.
    SLI 670s, a 690, or a titan aren't good cards? Or do you mean they still can't handle it? Cause they most certainly can. That's their main attraction. You surely don't need SLI 670s or a 690 for a 1080p screen.

And the top end of anything is always expensive compared to the lower-high end. You always pay a premium for the best regardless of what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    I assume you mean Sandy Bridge? I wouldnt say they got to 5ghz -easily-. They still took some nuturing to get there.

I never said you need haswell it was simply an option, as they should be out in the next month or two, and will provide a (slight) improvement over ivy bridge and potentially better overclocking.

SLI 670s, a 690, or a titan aren't good cards? Or do you mean they still can't handle it? Cause they most certainly can. That's their main attraction. You surely don't need SLI 670s or a 690 for a 1080p screen.

And the top end of anything is always expensive compared to the lower-high end. You always pay a premium for the best regardless of what it is.
    A friend of mine got a Sandy Bridge to go 5.5 stable with one of those closed loop water setups like 3 years ago.

Where did I say they weren't good cards? I said they were ridiculously priced. I bought my 6950 3gb unlocked to 6970 for like 350 bucks.

It seems as if they're putting off the next gen of cards (outside of the Titan which is ridiculously priced) for another year, too. I would imagine the next gen cards will be outdoing these by quite a bit which would make me satisfied with the decision to purchase a 600 dollar card hoping it would do 5760 x 1200 at high settings 60 fps. I have read several posts on newegg about the titan still not achieving solid 60 fps in many games at that res.

-Nish
    Last edited by Nish77; 2013-04-27 at 10:38 PM.