Asking for nitpicking on destruction reforging/rotation help.

Hi. My alt is a warlock, but he's definitely my most favorite character to DPS on. So when I DPS on him, it feels like I'm not doing so well. I read the sticky at the top of the forum but I'm still pretty confused/feel like I'm doing something wrong. Mainly, I'm super confused over how to handle ember charges. When I should REALLY be prioritizing chaos bolt. When I should be using shadowburn/dark soul. Stuff like that. Also, I'm unable to keep rain of fire up 100% of the time because I end up running out of mana still fairly quickly from incinerate spamming(Even with backdraft).

If anyone can give me some advice, or poke at my reforging/gemming. That'd be awesome. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Sagment/simple < armory link. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Hi Elennoko.

If you read the destruction guide thoroughly, you'd see that Grimoire of Sacrifice (GoSac) favours Mastery over haste and crit, which favour Grimoire of Supremacy (GoSup) instead. This is because GoSac shifts your damage from pet and incinerates to chaos bolts and shadowburns. You're in a weird mix of the two that doesn't work out too well.

As for your rotation:
    Understand that you do not use Rain of Fire for the sake of the actual raw damage it delivers, but as a boost to your ember regen, to be able to deliver a higher amount of chaos bolts. Also, because of the high mana cost you cannot (like you discovered) keep casting it all the time. Personally I've discovered that it is fine to cast it whenever I'm over 50-60% (depending on if I have haste procs or not - the more haste, the lower I can put that mana-threshold) mana, but below that is only for special occasions which are as follows:

a) I have a high haste proc, for instance legendary meta or Bloodlust = faster mana regen through Chaotic Energy.
    b) the boss is below 20%, meaning I can chain shadowburns to give me enough mana to afford the rain of fire spam.
    c) i'm going to cast 3-5 chaos bolts in a row = no spells that cost mana = mana isn't an issue for the duration of those casts = 100% uptime on Rain of Fire for that duration.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alarinth View Post
    Hi Elennoko.

If you read the destruction guide thoroughly, you'd see that Grimoire of Sacrifice (GoSac) favours Mastery over haste and crit, which favour Grimoire of Supremacy (GoSup) instead. This is because GoSac shifts your damage from pet and incinerates to chaos bolts and shadowburns. You're in a weird mix of the two that doesn't work out too well.

As for your rotation:
    Understand that you do not use Rain of Fire for the sake of the actual raw damage it delivers, but as a boost to your ember regen, to be able to deliver a higher amount of chaos bolts. Also, because of the high mana cost you cannot (like you discovered) keep casting it all the time. Personally I've discovered that it is fine to cast it whenever I'm over 50-60% (depending on if I have haste procs or not - the more haste, the lower I can put that mana-threshold) mana, but below that is only for special occasions which are as follows:

a) I have a high haste proc, for instance legendary meta or Bloodlust = faster mana regen through Chaotic Energy.
    b) the boss is below 20%, meaning I can chain shadowburns to give me enough mana to afford the rain of fire spam.
    c) i'm going to cast 3-5 chaos bolts in a row = no spells that cost mana = mana isn't an issue for the duration of those casts = 100% uptime on Rain of Fire for that duration.
    on every fight i manage to keep rain of fire 94%+ uptime as well as no lower than 97% immolate uptime and i never have mana issues keeping rain of fire up as much as humaly possible is amazing for ember gen as well as making trinkets proc which = lots more dps thru CB, shadowburn and fire and brimstone so alwasy keep rof up as much as you can (even on single target)

Quote Originally Posted by InsertStrangeNameHere View Post
    on every fight i manage to keep rain of fire 94%+ uptime as well as no lower than 97% immolate uptime and i never have mana issues keeping rain of fire up as much as humaly possible is amazing for ember gen as well as making trinkets proc which = lots more dps thru CB, shadowburn and fire and brimstone so alwasy keep rof up as much as you can (even on single target)
    And that is a surefire way to say that you're not playing Gosac with 100% focus on mastery. I have 1600 haste in my mastery gear, which is why that is completely impossible for me.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alarinth View Post
    And that is a surefire way to say that you're not playing Gosac with 100% focus on mastery. I have 1600 haste in my mastery gear, which is why that is completely impossible for me.
    your ilvl must be low...raid buffed im at 90% mastery and 36% haste..

Quote Originally Posted by InsertStrangeNameHere View Post
    your ilvl must be low...raid buffed im at 90% mastery and 36% haste..

527 ilvl, 103% mastery and just about 20% haste or so here.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

If you're running out of Mana, your Haste is too low. That's really all there is to it, it doesn't take much haste at all to be able to keep RoF up 100%.

Also, if this thread seems to disappear on you OP, check the Destro sticky. I'll be pretty surprised if this makes it through tomorrow without being cut into there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    If you're running out of Mana, your Haste is too low. That's really all there is to it, it doesn't take much haste at all to be able to keep RoF up 100%.

Also, if this thread seems to disappear on you OP, check the Destro sticky. I'll be pretty surprised if this makes it through tomorrow without being cut into there.
    i agree with this 100% drop some mastery and dump into haste...i never really seen that big of a impact of going over 100% mastery (raid buffed anyway) so dump some of that into haste and you should be ok

If you're running out of mana and running Sac with mastery stacking, you are doing it right!

Getting enough haste to be able to not run out of mana and use RoF for 100% uptime, while running Sac with mastery is a DPS loss. If you're using Sac, then you should be running out of mana on single target.

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 06:07 PM ----------

There's no "too low haste" about it.

However, if you're somehow running out of mana using a haste-focused single target setup, then you're probably capping on embers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    If you're running out of mana and running Sac with mastery stacking, you are doing it right!

Getting enough haste to be able to not run out of mana and use RoF for 100% uptime, while running Sac with mastery is a DPS loss. If you're using Sac, then you should be running out of mana on single target.

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 06:07 PM ----------

There's no "too low haste" about it.

However, if you're somehow running out of mana using a haste-focused single target setup, then you're probably capping on embers.
    Thank you! This has been my experience as well, I can't see why I would want any haste whatsoever as mastery gosac.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud