Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a Hobo spider, one of the very, very few poisonous spiders we have in the Northwest. I've seen a few of them in the few years I've lived in Portland, OR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kill it if its a Hobo. While it is wonderful that they eat other bugs and shit if you get bitten by one you will have medical bills out window. Not to mention the agony of necrosis removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

I'm not a spider expert, but if you intend to keep it (I know I would, provided I got the courage to capture it and not squash it right away :P), this looks helpfull: http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Spiders-As-Pets

I live in the area and have run into them myself, so I did a similar jaunt around the net a few years back trying to identify one. Not an expert or anything, 'course.
    Anyways, I don't think it's a brown recluse or hobo spider, though who knows. I doubt that it's especially venomous.
    Hobo spiders don't generally grow that large ( http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-a-Hobo-Spider ) and it doesn't look anything like a brown recluse.

However, I've been told you can't actually discern hobo spiders from the similar species around here on looks alone, and I wouldn't rely on size. Basically I wouldn't recommend letting it bite you, since if it is a hobo spider, it may end up being one of your biggest regrets in life. ;x
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorillane View Post
    [...]
    I think i'm going to go with the Hobo spider.
    The chevrons and 2 dark band characteristics are very much there. This one just seems a bit more badass than what the wiki picture has xD
    Ah, if it does have the chevrons then that's probably close enough to an identification to assume it's not friendly. I couldn't tell from the original photos.

Nuke from orbit. </onlywaytobesure>.

Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    yeah, I looked at some photos of them, looks like its really a hobo spider.
    It's venom is not as dangerous as the brown recluse but it is necrotic in nature. Whatever you do, do not get bit is my advice
    Edit: I never thought i'd say that for a spider, but he/she's beautiful D:
    I think he/she is a cutie too
    I would never kill it.
    It seems to be on the upper spectrum of maturity, given its size and distinctiveness of features. It would be so wrong to end it.

Think I'm going to go to petco and get some habitat stuff for it.

It may be of similar species to the Hobo spider, if not one itself. Well, the wiki on it says that the markings do not become very fine until it is advanced in maturity. So, perhaps it really is one, and it is at the pinnacle of its existence.
    Last edited by Rorillane; 2013-04-27 at 12:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love spiders, but anything that has significantly powerful venom like that I would say walk it out into the woods and let it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

I would never kill it.
    You made my heart happy.

Looks like a hobo spider, don't kill it, since u are in a country land just take it to some place where u can release it, away from humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its very similar to the Hobo spider, but it still rather large in comparison
    I've seen bigger, but that one is about the average size of the ones I've seen. Though they alway seem so much bigger when they're skittering across your carpet :-P
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by kakihara View Post
    Instead of killing spiders people should really work on getting rid of their fears.
    I'm allowed to have several fears in my lifetime. If spiders happen to be one of them, so be it. Maybe they should work on looking less creepy.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not a behemoth. This is a behemoth. http://southcarolina1670.files.wordp...ria-rajaei.jpg

New species of spider they found that's large enough to cover your face. Your FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    I'm not a spider expert, but if you intend to keep it (I know I would, provided I got the courage to capture it and not squash it right away :P), this looks helpfull: http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Spiders-As-Pets
    Thank you for this! I wasn't sure if they needed water or if it was provided from the food they eat and stuff.

We kind of just plopped him into a jar that he webbed up at the bottom, and that was that >_> I will set up a nice home for it so it can live happily under my control :3

Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    Kill it if its a Hobo. While it is wonderful that they eat other bugs and shit if you get bitten by one you will have medical bills out window. Not to mention the agony of necrosis removal.
    Don't you just pour maggots into the festering wound to have them clean out necrotic flesh?

No need for a hospital!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    That's not a behemoth. This is a behemoth. http://southcarolina1670.files.wordp...ria-rajaei.jpg

New species of spider they found that's large enough to cover your face. Your FACE.
    This spider is just too damn big x.x
    The one I found is the largest I have actually seen in real life, minus the tarantula at the pet store.

Instead of killing spiders people should really work on getting rid of their fears.
    I'd much rather kill it

10+ Year Old Account
    Fear is one of the main reasons our species is still alive, just FYI. And it would be completely warranted in this case - Hobo spiders are poisonous to humans, and from my understanding, quite painfully so. They don't attack unless provoked (unlike black widows or recluses) but when they do, they get angry as fuck. And keeping it cooped up in a container is definitely going to piss it off.

Have you ever once stopped to think that this seemingly irrational fear of spiders may have actually stemmed from something in humanity's history? Hell, have you SEEN the bloody spiders they have in Australia? There's no such thing as a non-poisonous spider there...it's all about "is it poisonous to kill me, or just rot one of my legs off?".

And there's a huge difference between fear, and just finding something repulsive. My mom can't stand slugs, but it's not that she's AFRAID of them. She just thinks they're disgusting. I personally am mortally AFRAID of spiders, and squeal like a little girl whenever I find them in places they frankly shouldn't be. However, for some reason I am fascinated by their structure - I think it's one of the coolest shapes in nature. I love spider-based mobs and whatnot in games, and I love robotic spiders and such in games as well. It's just the live versions I have something against lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartj1992 View Post
    I believe that particular beastie is Horriblis Toomanygoddamnlegus.
    Pretty fuckin accurate ID imo. OP do you posses weapons grade plutonium? If so lets put it to good use eh?

15+ Year Old Account
    I live in australia. here we get spiders like this:

<_<

Those are both beautiful creatures Ethos.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I live in australia. here we get spiders like this:

<_<
    God, I almost lost my head on that one.
    *pun intended*

No, seriously, the fuck? Remind me to never go to Australia.
    Whilst I am fascinated and think spiders look AWESOME, I would be scared shitless in sight of something atleast half its size..
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-04-27 at 02:09 AM.