Must have software and maintenance tips

So my brand spankin' new computer just arrived (Alienware M17XR4) and I'm very excited. This is hands down the most powerful computer I've ever owned and I want to keep it that way!

I've owned a few Windows based computers in the past but it's been years since then and my last computer was a Mac. I'm not too computer savvy and I basically just use the computer as is out of the box, and one of the things I've found in the past is my computer's performance takes a dive.

My new computer has 3 months of McAfee but that's about it. I'm just wondering what other software you would recommend to protect my computer, amplify performance for gaming, and any tips on how to keep everything running smoothly. If the software you recommend is free that would be even better!

Thanks for the help!

10+ Year Old Account
    ditch McAfee, just go to programs and features in control panel, and uninstall it, of all the good AV programs, that is not one of them, personally i would recomend MSE, if you are running win8, it has MSE built in, you may just have to turn it on (search for 'windows defender')

try to keep your computer on often, especially overnight, windows vista and newer run automatic optimizations overnight and when idle

otherwise go to ninite.com, and make a basic software installer, be sure to include flash, java and silverlight, anytime one of the selected programs needs an update, you can just run that installer again

also, make sure automatic updates are turned on, and your graphics drivers are up to date with the latest WHQL driver (i would avoid beta drivers unless there is wide community support for one)

This computer has window 7 so no built in MSE. I will follow your advice, thank you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    include flash, java and silverlight
    NO! Do not install Java on a desktop machine. It is completely unnecessary in all but the most obscure situations. At the same time, if you do not know what you're doing it dramatically increases the attack surface area of your machine and network.

Rest of your recommendations are good.

Quote Originally Posted by dpsuurhoff View Post
    This computer has window 7 so no built in MSE. I will follow your advice, thank you.
    You can download MSE for free from the Microsoft website.

Here is a good tip: learn to love MSconfig (or downloadable MS Autoruns utility)
    - Start->Run->type "msconfig" then enter
    - go to Startup tab
    - uncheck any utilities you do not use or need.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-27 at 02:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    NO! Do not install Java on a desktop machine. It is completely unnecessary in all but the most obscure situations.
    Torches and pitchforks!

Honestly, there are plenty of exploits that can be used aside from Java.

OP: Cyan's suggestions are fine. I would stick with that plan of action.
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

NO! Do not install Java on a desktop machine. It is completely unnecessary in all but the most obscure situations. At the same time, if you do not know what you're doing it dramatically increases the attack surface area of your machine and network.
    Like, being a computing student or working with Java? Those aren't really obscure situations.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Like, being a computing student or working with Java? Those aren't really obscure situations.
    Both situations you would know that you need Java and they are very obscure for a general PC user.

In addition, in both those situations you would know how to significantly reduce the risks.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-27 at 03:53 PM.

Deleted
    Both situations you would know that you need Java and they are very obscure for a general PC user.

In addition, in both those situations you would know how to significantly reduce the risks.
    Or you could be from places that require Java plugins for communication with state/banks.

They're out there.

Sadly

10+ Year Old Account
    install ccleaner and run it once in a while.
    It's pretty easy to understand
    It can clean your Registry and obsolete files
    link: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

about java:
    It's used quite often, so I would suggest installling it.
    Install the 64 bit version if you have an 64 bit OS, it's better performance.
    Though I might be biased, because I have to use it for college
    Last edited by Drakiru; 2013-04-27 at 04:01 PM.
    Youtube Channel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Map: Valley of Ages(map is out of date)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Infus View Post
    Or you could be from places that require Java plugins for communication with state/banks.

They're out there.

Sadly
    Again, if you were in the unfortunate very rare position to have to download it, it would tell you. But this is getting off-topic now.

Do your own research on the risks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Java is fine, it is no more of a risk than Flash or Silverlight, a lot of the scares about it come from uninformed people, java exploits are just like anything else, they require some form of user social engineering, simply having java installed will not make your computer weak against hackers, the weakest point is the user

security is balanced with usability, too much of one and you don't have enough of the other, there are too many things that use Java to not install it, but because the user is the weak point with security most of the time, there is no point running around with a tin foil hat on uninstalling everything in site

if you are worried about identity or account theft, use KeePass, and generate random passwords for websites, then store them on an encrypted flash drive, this will stop most hackers since you the user don't even know your passwords and therefore can't give them out in a social engineering attack

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Java is fine, it is no more of a risk than Flash or Silverlight, a lot of the scares about it come from uninformed people, java exploits are just like anything else, they require some form of user social engineering, simply having java installed will not make your computer weak against hackers, the weakest point is the user

security is balanced with usability, too much of one and you don't have enough of the other, there are too many things that use Java to not install it, but because the user is the weak point with security most of the time, there is no point running around with a tin foil hat on uninstalling everything in site

if you are worried about identity or account theft, use KeePass, and generate random passwords for websites, then store them on an encrypted flash drive, this will stop most hackers since you the user don't even know your passwords and therefore can't give them out in a social engineering attack
    Ahhh, informing the misinformed.
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    Ahhh, informing the misinformed.
    well it starts out like "exploit found in java" which is pretty common, most software has exploits, thats why we have updates, they fix the loopholes, but after the initial headline it gets shared 500 times and is now "JAVA UNSAFE! hide yo kids hide yo wife!" suddenly now there is alot of attention on java, and every exploit found simply self reinforces the idea that java = bad

in reality, there are hundreds of exploits found all the time in various software languages, 1337day.com is a good place to watch (when its up, which is not all the time)

Deleted
    NO! Do not install Java on a desktop machine. It is completely unnecessary in all but the most obscure situations.
    My online banking requires Java, not really obscure either.