Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Why does it matter?
    The more people who see LGBT people doing "normal" things and being just as successful and their heterosexual counterparts, the better.

Bitch about the media jumping on it all you like, so long as you don't forget that the media jumps on anything they think will get people to watch/read.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    It's questioned because it's hard conceal arousal in volleyball shorts, and football uniforms.

Firm sweaty bodies, touching, grinding, holding, yeah no, that's why.
    Well, ideally they'd be more focused on the game than getting a boner from some faceless guy smashing into them bodily (Not in a... Good way). And football players wear cups from what I recall.

Not sure about hiding an erection in volleyball shorts, though.
    Last edited by Vorticough; 2013-04-27 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    None at all, it hurts the cause. Most homosexuals want to be treated equally, drawing attention to yourself is not being equal.
    I don't know how sports are on your side of the water, but many athletes in the US (particularly in the NFL and NBA) are openly homophobic. Fighting that attitude and culture is a good thing, imo.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    I was lookin at the ufc section at yahoo and ran across this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...0820--mma.html

Was trying to get in to tomorrows pvp and had to read stuff like this, please give me sports, i know where to go if i want sexuality (on the web, not so much in real life )
    The people who wrote that article seem pretty upset. Mitrione is a dumbass though, and he enjoys stirring up controversy - if you watched him on Ultimate Fighter, you already knew that. It isn't surprising that he would say something like that. He isn't the only UFC fighter like that, either. (and I mean starting fights, talking shit and causing drama - not hating transexuals)

Myself, the only sport I watch is MMA, and I don't care even a little bit if one of them come out as gay. I care even less if an NFL, hockey, basketball, or (lol) soccer player comes out as gay. It isn't going to incite me to go watch them or buy merchandise. Maybe if I was gay I would feel differently, and go support them? But no, I just don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    None at all, it hurts the cause. Most homosexuals want to be treated equally, drawing attention to yourself is not being equal.
    ... Neither is hiding your sexuality for fear of retribution. It's a double edged sword. If more people in sports come out it'll help diffuse the rampant phobias people have about homosexuals. Young homosexual individuals need to know that they don't need to be pidgeon-holed into a stereotype to function as an adult. Not all gay men need to be or become something "effeminate", and not all gay women need to be or become something "masculine". This is important because it lets people understand that your sexuality does not define you - your actions do.

Some people may present themselves poorly, but it's pretty difficult to look at Tuaolo and say he's not doing something to help by promoting this.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-04-27 at 03:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorticough View Post
    Well, ideally they'd be more focused on the game than getting a boner from some faceless guy smashing into them bodily (Not in a... Good way). And football players wear cups from what I recall.

Not sure about hiding an erection in volleyball shorts, though.
    I'm guessing it's about the same as not getting an erection when a female doctor checks your balls

I always figured it was because when a woman gets tackled by a three hundred pound man, it usually ends up in the News as a horrible assault, not a standard thing in sports.

But maybe that's 'gender in sports' and not 'sexuality'.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

I'm so sick of this sexuality thing to be honest. Can't we just let people be attracted to whoever they want, and stop labeling everything? Both sides of the fence are responsible for this being such an issue: those against gays being involved need to realize that gays are and should be equal in everything, but those in favor of it need to stop running around spouting the same old stuff over and over again, and complaining endlessly about gay rights in every subject. They've come a long way in the past few years, and I just think we need to stop defining people by their sexual preferences, and just let people be. Period.

It's only important if you make a big deal out of it. There's really no reason to even bring up sexuality in sports. You're playing a game! Your sexual preferences has no place on the battle field.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    I'm so sick of this sexuality thing to be honest. Can't we just let people be attracted to whoever they want, and stop labeling everything? Both sides of the fence are responsible for this being such an issue: those against gays being involved need to realize that gays are and should be equal in everything, but those in favor of it need to stop running around spouting the same old stuff over and over again, and complaining endlessly about gay rights in every subject. They've come a long way in the past few years, and I just think we need to stop defining people by their sexual preferences, and just let people be. Period.
    lol easier said than done my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    lol easier said than done my friend
    Thanks Admiral Ackbar, for pointing out the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Helping View Post
    It's only important if you make a big deal out of it. There's really no reason to even bring up sexuality in sports. You're playing a game! Your sexual preferences has no place on the battle field.
    I don't know... it would kind of drag on me if my professional career was in an environment in which I'm abhorred. Double that if I'm actually good at my sport and always under public scrutiny. I might just get annoyed and, you know, say something.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Helping View Post
    It becomes a big deal when there are plenty of bigoted folks out there, spreading their hate. If it wasn't for that, there wouldn't even be a story here, or anywhere for that matter, in terms of sexuality.

Same thing happened to the blacks; Jackie Robinson being one of the biggest examples.

Edit:

And yes, sexuality is as much of a choice as one's skin color, etc.
    Last edited by BatteredRose; 2013-04-27 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    It becomes a big deal when there are plenty of bigoted folks out there, spreading their hate. If it wasn't for that, there wouldn't even be a story here, or anywhere for that matter, in terms of sexuality.

Same thing happened to the blacks; Jackie Robinson being one of the biggest examples.

Edit:

And yes, sexuality is as much of a choice as one's skin color, etc.
    This isn't really the same as being black. Someone who is gay can simply choose to not disclose their sexual preferences publicly, or whatever. Someone who is black can't necessarily not bring up the fact that they're not black.

Jackie Robinson's case was quite a lot different. Mainly because he couldn't "hide" his color. He, fortunately, handled it with grace and poise and should be an idol for everyone.

On the other hand, gay athletes can "pass" or whatever we call it these days without notice. Robinson was able to prove his case on the field. Gay players cannot unless we know they're gay.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 11:20 PM ----------

This isn't really the same as being black. Someone who is gay can simply choose to not disclose their sexual preferences publicly, or whatever. Someone who is black can't necessarily not bring up the fact that they're not black.
    Exactly. See what I just wrote.

There was no debate if jackie was black or white, it was obvious and unavoidable, while someones sexual prefence isnt and has no relevance on the court/field.

So they have to keep up a facade for however long they're in the public sphere? If I was in their position I'd sure hate not being able to date or spend time with whoever I was seeing in public. Not to mention the strain of having to pretend to be something you're not and the effects that can have on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Because of the manliness and comfort issues in locker rooms.
    lol.......

Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    ..don't ask, don't tell is not a nice thing to ask people to subscribe to, if that is what you're trying to suggest
    That's pretty much what I was saying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    ..don't ask, don't tell is not a nice thing to ask people to subscribe to, if that is what you're trying to suggest
    Why? Wouldn't it just be better to NOT say anything about it, only reason one would say anything is because they want attention.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.